Community
Search

Polanski's The Tenant, Bitter Moon, Death And The Maiden

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polanski's The Tenant, Bitter Moon, Death And The Maiden

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread about this yet, but the following are on the horizon:

6/3 - Bitter Moon
6/3 - Death and the Maiden
7/1 - The Tenant

Hopefully Polanski's Oscar win will shake a few more of his films out of the vaults... Tess, Knife In The Water, Repulsion, the list goes on...

To those planning to post the requisite call for boycotting/banning/burning of all of Polanski's films because of his fugitive status, please take the time to watch Death and the Maiden. An incredible, non-sensationalized film about rape and its consequences.
Old 04-29-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 81 Posts
One of my favorite filmmakers. I'm looking forward to all of these on DVD. Thanks for the heads-up on THE TENANT. Glad to finally to see it's release after last year's postponement.
Old 04-29-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Polanski's The Tenant, Bitter Moon, Death And The Maiden

Originally posted by ehonauer
To those planning to post the requisite call for boycotting/banning/burning of all of Polanski's films because of his fugitive status, please take the time to watch Death and the Maiden. An incredible, non-sensationalized film about rape and its consequences.
Non-sensationalized? The woman ties up a man she believes raped her multiple times (while in college) and threatens him while her husband looks on ... that's non-sensationalized?

Methinks you have your own agenda and it's not telling us about a few DVD releases .....
Old 04-29-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wish A Pure Formality would come out. It is a fantastic flick.

I think ehonauer meant that the movie was not a blockbuster flick, but is well worth watching.
Old 04-29-03, 04:28 PM
Banned

Didn't Criterion announce Knife in the Water a while back?
Old 04-29-03, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
count me in for all 3...all at the risk of a violent protest outside my house.
Old 04-30-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Polanski's The Tenant, Bitter Moon, Death And The Maiden

Originally posted by ctyankee
Non-sensationalized? The woman ties up a man she believes raped her multiple times (while in college) and threatens him while her husband looks on ... that's non-sensationalized?

Methinks you have your own agenda and it's not telling us about a few DVD releases .....
Considering the level of prurient violence in other films about rape (The Night Porter, I Spit On Your Grave, Ms. 45, Extremities, The Accused, Boys Don't Cry, Irreversible), I do think that, comparatively speaking, Death and the Maiden is non-sensationalized. Perhaps that was the wrong term - it is a tense and grueling film that discomforts the viewer with words, atmosphere, and camerawork, not with horrific imagery.

The film raises some interesting questions about Polanski's, uh, life choices. I'm not sure if that counts as an agenda in your book.

Originally posted by Rusty James
Didn't Criterion announce Knife in the Water a while back?
Years ago. I've given up on that one.
Old 04-30-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I personally am waiting for Roman Polanski's "PIRATES" to arrive on dvd, a great movie starring the late great Walter Matthau ...
Old 04-30-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I had The Tenant pre-ordered a long time ago then canceled then....now finally Isabelle Adjani will be getting another release in my collection.

As a matter of fact all three of them are sold! Period!!

Dont care about the moralists on this board. It's film that matters, if you dont like it dont buy it (and move to Utah)!!
Old 04-30-03, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I finally got to read the plea that Samantha Geimer wrote for the LA Times to once again guilt trip the LA County DA's office to drop the charges on Roman Polanski and I'm just curious on why the genusies there refuse to listen to anything the woman has to say. She's been for his return since at least 1997, has told her story to Inside Edition, and now has written to a major newspaper that has syndicated it worldwide and they still refuse to back down? Do Steve Cooley, Gil Garcetti, and Marcia Clark somehow see her as never having aged? What must she do to get her point across, physically harm members of the DA's office? Doesn't anybody realize that the best judge of how a "rapist" should be treated is the victim themselves? She was there, she knows what should happen, the DA's weren't there and should have no right to not drop the charges.

The ineptitude of Cooley, Clark, Garcetti, and ilk on this matter for the last 25+ years is shameful. I am ashamed that they can be in the positions they have maintained while the "victim" begs for closure for both herself and Polanski; would YOU want to be a person in your late 30's to hound a bad episode from when you were 13 because some dimwits who have let some murderers free (OJ) and are slowly killing others (Robert Blake) won't get
over it and listen to you? I find everyone at the LA County DA's office to be human scum for their actions over the last decade (at least). Samantha Geimer, OTOH, is a brave soldier and freedom fighter whose actions are overlooked; she is also intelligent for moving to by far the best and smartest state in the union: Hawaii. Why more people don't follow her lead and find happiness is beyond me.

The LA County DA's office makes me ashamed to be an American. Samantha Geimer makes me proud that someone is smarter than the people in charge. Ask most Americans, they would agree, yes?
Old 04-30-03, 05:39 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let's keep it on topic... the DVDs. If you want to talk about Polanski, put it in Other.
Old 04-30-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I've got the Tenant preordered, I hope I still like it (the only time I saw it was when it first came out).

I didn't much like Bitter Moon, and Death and the Maiden was good, but not, I think, one I'd watch again. Still, I'm very glad to see his movies finally getting released. Even Chinatown seems to go in and out of print. Hopefully, Repulsion comes out soon.

Edit: I know, really lame post, even by my standards, but at least on topic.

Last edited by Ginwen; 05-01-03 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-01-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Straight from Criterion, John Mulvaney (their PR guy) in a recent interview hinted that several of the "previously announced, but never released" titles would FINALLY be surfacing soon... This most likely included Polanski's "Knife In The Water".

Old 05-01-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by johnbook
I personally am waiting for Roman Polanski's "PIRATES" to arrive on dvd, a great movie starring the late great Walter Matthau ...
If you've got a region free player, you could get Pirates for about $5 US. Oddly enough, the DVD is available free, uncut, 16X9, Dolby Digital 5.1, with a Polish PC mag. Here's link:

http://www.merlin.com.pl/sklep/sklep...?oferta=251881

Thread about the Pirates DVD in the International Forum:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=283968

Weird world, huh?
Old 05-01-03, 05:07 PM
Rest in Peace

I like Romans DVD of "The Ninth Gate" viewed about 90 times so far, a excellent 2.35:1 DVD anamorphic. Roman makes movies that should be on DVD! I will be buying some of his releasing discs.

Mods bear with me please....I hope that "Helter Skelter" 1976 will be a DVD. True story of Romans 'wife' Sharon Tate murder by Manson family with Steve Railsback as Charles Manson. I recorded it off TV in 1976 on 2 SP tapes that never made it to video, I would sure like a DVD of this. Mods Thank you in Advance.

Last edited by danol; 05-01-03 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-02-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Reviews up at DVDfile:

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...ittermoon.html

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...themaiden.html
Old 06-02-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the tenant is only $5.99 shipped @ deep discount i ordered that and also death and the maiden but i have to pass on bitter moon even though i am a big polanski fan i never liked that one. I hope knife in the water comes out that movie is brilliant.
Old 06-02-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

To anyone interested, I just put up my review of Bitter Moon here. One of Polanski's best in my estimation.
Old 06-03-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great review of Bitter Moon, a film that generally doesn't get the props it deserves.

Polanksi's films in the 90s were largely mismarketed, since you can't market a movie on its quality alone anymore. The Ninth Gate was mis-marketed as a supernatural horror flick, this was mis-marketed as softcore erotica. Bitter Moon is really a well-done nasty black comedy.
Old 06-03-03, 04:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Piazza
the tenant is only $5.99 shipped @ deep discount i ordered that and also death and the maiden but i have to pass on bitter moon even though i am a big polanski fan i never liked that one. I hope knife in the water comes out that movie is brilliant.
Thanks for the heads up on The Tenant - nice price!
Old 06-04-03, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't believe my eyes - $9.99 MSRP on a Paramount disc? The end must be near...
Old 06-04-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Ninth Gate was mis-marketed as a supernatural horror flick (snip)
Ok, I'll bite...what was The Ninth Gate?
Old 06-04-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Great review of Bitter Moon, a film that generally doesn't get the props it deserves.

Polanksi's films in the 90s were largely mismarketed, since you can't market a movie on its quality alone anymore. The Ninth Gate was mis-marketed as a supernatural horror flick, this was mis-marketed as softcore erotica. Bitter Moon is really a well-done nasty black comedy.
Thanks for the kind words - I agree, Bitter Moon falls into that "love it or hate it" category, and I have always enjoyed it (I was also glad to see that it has held up so well - I had not seen it in a few years). As for marketing, it must have been tough to know what to do with both Bitter Moon and the Ninth Gate.

As for the Ninth Gate, I suspect I'll have to catch it again - I recall that I was not overly impressed the first time I saw it. However, I'm pretty much a sucker for anything that features Lena Olin, so it will prove rather easy to convinve myself to do so...
Old 06-04-03, 06:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What about The Fearless Vampire Killers ?!?!
Old 06-04-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why are Bitter Moon and Death & the Maiden listed as full-frame at DeepDiscountDVD? They don't list any other versions.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.