DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Jack Ryan Box Set (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/289241-jack-ryan-box-set.html)

Jamers 04-29-03 12:42 PM

Jack Ryan Box Set

Who here is basically only buying the box set just for the box? I could care less about SOAF. Meaning I want the first 3 movies because they now have DTS, etc but am only buying all 4 movies for the Box.

baap 04-29-03 12:51 PM

I'm just going to get the individual DVDs. The box set it going to be out dated as soon as they release a new movie.

pdjennings 04-29-03 12:56 PM

just getting the 3 new issues here.

Not A N00b 04-29-03 01:09 PM

I have the previous jack ryan box, so I'm just going to pick up SOAF eventually. I don't have a DTS setup so thats not a selling point for me.

uteotw 04-29-03 01:28 PM

I think I'll get the whole set--not because of the box (I could not care less) but because I don't have any of these and have been waiting for them to be done up right.
Paramount + DTS??? Who woulda thunk it...

Jamers 04-29-03 01:32 PM

So is it confirmed there will be another movie in the Jack Ryan series? If so then we may have another 5 movie boax set in 1-2 years. Remember, LW and JP both did this.

AdamComic2 04-29-03 01:40 PM

I'm buying the new box for my Dad.

lisadoris 04-29-03 02:02 PM

I don't have any of the jack ryan movies and while I am not a huge fan of SOAF, I figured why not get the whole thing. DDD had a great price so it's not a big deal.

Iron Chef 04-29-03 02:05 PM

I have SOAF, so I'll buy SEs of The Hunt For Red October, Clear and Present Danger, and Patriot Games, then call Paramount customer service and see if they'll send me the box set box.

DrOBoogie1 04-29-03 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Jamers
So is it confirmed there will be another movie in the Jack Ryan series? If so then we may have another 5 movie boax set in 1-2 years. Remember, LW and JP both did this.
Yes. Red Rabbitt is most likely the next film, and will also star Ben Affleck.

And yes, the movies will most likely be re-packaged over and over. As long as there is a new movie to promote, DVDs will be reissued. It buys the studio publicity. Newspapers and magazines don't run articles on DVDs that have been out for years, but they do do articles on new releases, even re-releases.

Personally, I'm picking up this set, since I held off getting the original three, and those are the ones I want most. (SOAF was so-so.)

shizawn 04-29-03 03:48 PM

I'm just going to get the new releases of the first 3 ryan films. I have no interest in Sum of All Fears so I won't be getting the box set.

sn9ke_eyes 04-29-03 04:29 PM

I haven't seen SOAF yet but going by DDD prices, the first 3 movies are $13.56 individually

13.56 x 3 = $40.68
price of box set = $48.29
the difference, which would be the price of SOAF in the box set is $7.61

opus 04-29-03 04:52 PM

I didn't have any of the first three or SOAF, and got the box set from DDD shipped for $35. Couldn't pass that up.

Jamers 04-29-03 05:10 PM

OK, I ordered the Box Set on DDD for $48.29 with free shipping. Still better than Amazon or Best Buy.

TomOpus 04-29-03 06:13 PM

I thought of the getting the box but read a review that mentioned how bad the transfer of Patriot Games came out. I love Hunt for Red October and I'll probably give my old disc to a friend. In fact, I just got an email from DDD that it shipped today. WooHoo!

Rockybalboa 04-29-03 07:04 PM

I cannot wait, DDD had it priced for 35 and change and the honored it!

milo bloom 04-30-03 12:05 AM

Depending on the prices, I'll go either way. If I get the box and they release another movie, I'll just put the box on display and put the movies on the shelf without it.

MarcinL 04-30-03 12:39 AM

Quick Question

Is SOAF in the box set a new edition with DTS or is it the same one thats already out????

MJKTool 04-30-03 12:55 AM

Originally posted by sn9ke_eyes
I haven't seen SOAF yet but going by DDD prices, the first 3 movies are $13.56 individually

13.56 x 3 = $40.68
price of box set = $48.29
the difference, which would be the price of SOAF in the box set is $7.61

Yeah thats what I came up with, so decided.... what the hell and just got the box set.

lisadoris 04-30-03 07:21 AM

The SOAF in the box set is the same edition that was previously released. No DTS on that one. I'm still waiting for my DDD shipping notice (and of course I want to make sure they honor the $35 price.)

Ginwen 04-30-03 09:27 AM

I never bought the old releases (came really close just before this new release was announced), never saw SOAF, and got in on the $35 deal at DDD. I couldn't care less about the actual box.

Caliking 04-30-03 12:31 PM

Damn! I was all set on the box but now Im not sure...Nevermind. Im still getting the box. The first three movies are easily the best and it will be nice to get it all together with a nice box.

Box it is!

matome 04-30-03 12:43 PM

Already bought SOAF, so I'll just be picking up <i>Patriot Games</i> & <i>CAPD</i>

jarofclay73 05-04-03 05:56 PM

Circuit City will get all three SEs for $12.99. That's roughly $40 for the three reissues.

I don't really care for SOAF so if I can't find the set for somewhere around $40, I'll just get it individually.

animefan 05-04-03 06:14 PM

I usually care about box alot. but not in this case. Hell, I care so much about box that I pay extra just to get the box. If you buy anime DVDs, then you would understand.

But I like my box to contain the entire series or season. Since Im sure that there will be more Jack Ryan movies in the future, this box would be useless when the next movie comes out. Also I like my box to be very sturdy and nicely designed. I don't expect too much high quality with this kind of cheap set.

So, Im passing on this one, unless I can get it really cheap.