DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Sure Thing and Valley Girl SE specs! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/289070-sure-thing-valley-girl-se-specs.html)

RobCA 04-28-03 05:55 PM

Sure Thing and Valley Girl SE specs!

From DVDFile:

"The bitchin' 80's are back!" MGM Home Entertainment has just announced another wave of catalog classics to go along with their super-swell August lineup of horror faves (see April 18 update). What's in this new batch? How about some of the most highly-anticipated teen comedies yet to hit the format? Can't wait!

On August 5th comes new special editions of Valley Girl and The Sure Thing. The former is way-loaded with extras: a new 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 remix, no less than 3 new commentaries (video commentary with members of the cast, audio commentary by director Martha Coolidge and an 80's text trivia track), three featurettes ("Valley Girl: 20 Totally Tubular Years Later," "In Conversation: Martha Coolidge and Nicholas Cage" and "The Music of Valley Girl"), storyboard-to-film comparisons, original music videos from Modern English and The Plimsouls, and trailers. The Sure Thing also includes a nice set of specs: 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, Dolby Digital 5.1 remix, audio commentary with director Rob Reiner, text trivia track, four featurettes: "The Road to The Sure Thing," Casting The Sure Thing," "Dressing The Sure Thing" and "Reading The Sure Thing," and trailers. Retail is a mere $19.95 each.

Also included in this August 5th lineup are more 80's classics, sorta-classics and not-quite-so-classics, in a variety of aspect ratios. Thrashin', The Rachel Papers, Adrian Lyne's Foxes and, at long last, The Last American Virgin all include new 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfers and Dolby Digital 2.0 surround tracks (Foxes is mono only). Thrashin' also includes a featurette and "Freestylin' Montage." The Matt Dillon comedy The Flamingo Kid is presented in non-anamorphic 1.85:1 widescreen, while Johnny Be Good, Hot Dog: The Movie, Bright Lights Big City and the original Breakin' are presented in (sigh) full screen only. All include trailers, and retail is $14.95 each.

Kal-El 04-28-03 05:59 PM

No Strings Attached
No Guilt Involved
A Sure Thing.

I'm so there.

the narrator 04-28-03 06:27 PM

damn them fr not releasing Johnny Be Good in Widescreen!..i probably won't get it now..i really wish MGM would get off this releasing old movies in full screen crap

RichardW 04-28-03 06:31 PM

http://www.dvdfile.com/images/box_art/7/valleygirl.jpg

That's one ugly cover. At least it's not a floating heads cover. I'm just glad to get this in anamorphic widescreen.

Geofferson 04-28-03 06:54 PM

OMG - some of the best news I've heard in quite some time...

I'll for sure be buying:

Valley Girl
The Sure Thing
Thrashin'
The Last American Virgin
The Flamingo Kid
Hot Dog: The Movie
Bright Lights, Big City
Breakin'

:up: :up: :up:

Mountain Biker 04-28-03 07:07 PM

a new 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer and Dolby Digital 5.1 remix, no less than 3 new commentaries (video commentary with members of the cast, audio commentary by director Martha Coolidge and an 80's text trivia track), three featurettes ("Valley Girl: 20 Totally Tubular Years Later," "In Conversation: Martha Coolidge and Nicholas Cage" and "The Music of Valley Girl"), storyboard-to-film comparisons, original music videos from Modern English and The Plimsouls, and trailers

-eek- -eek-

To get all that with my most wanted movie on DVD , I'm in Heaven. :)

MGM is now tops on my list :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'll also be getting:

Last American Virgin--my second most wanted :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Johnny Be Good
The Sure Thing
Breakin'
Thrashin'
Hot Dog: The Movie
Bright Lights, Big City
The Flamingo Kid

The Maniac 04-28-03 08:28 PM

Its all about Thrashin'!! Time to get a few bucks from my vhs on ebay

mediabear 04-28-03 08:33 PM

Awesome! I've been waiting for Valley Girl and Foxes on DVD.

dtsmovieguy 04-28-03 09:07 PM

Like, you know - Awesome, totally and for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is my wife's favorite movie ...:) I like it too!

My second moster wanted is:

Last American Virgin

and then...

Breakin'
Johnny Be Good
The Sure Thing

keep them coming.....

Now if they could release Bouleveard Nights on DVD, I would flip!

whomod 04-29-03 04:37 AM

EXCELLENT!

The Valley Girl movie itself would have been cool enough but videos from Modern English and the Plimsouls as well as commentaries, new audio mix, anamorphic transfer and docus???

WOW!! :D :D

Time to discard that grainy old P&S videotape!

djones6746 04-29-03 05:44 AM

Very excited about Valley Girl and The Sure Thing.....but why in the hell is Flamingo Kid being re-released non-anamorphic? I just sold my older copy in anticipation of an anamorphic release!!! :(

matome 04-29-03 07:51 AM

Excellent!

Last American Virgin, Bright Lights, Valley Girl, Hot Dog & Johnny B Good for me!

Red Dog 04-29-03 08:45 AM

Sucks that Hot Dog is full frame, but I'll have to get that anyway simply for Shannon Tweed.

boston george 04-29-03 09:54 AM

Valley Girl!!!! Awesome! I'll definetly be getting this and Thrashin'. Never heard of The Sure Thing. Whos in it? Ill prolly get it as a blind buy. I'm suprised Valley Girl is getting such a good release! This is the happiest Ive been for an 80s movie release since Say Anything.

matome 04-29-03 09:57 AM

Originally posted by boston george
Never heard of The Sure Thing. Whos in it? Ill prolly get it as a blind buy.
John Cusack, Daphne Zuniga, Anthony Edwards. Great flick!

BuckeyeDawg 04-29-03 12:49 PM

This is going to be a "special edition" of Valley Girl...

but it should have been called "Like So Totally Tubular Bitchin' Edition"

:D

Jazzbutcher 04-29-03 01:04 PM

Originally posted by BuckeyeDawg
This is going to be a "special edition" of Valley Girl...

but it should have been called "Like So Totally Tubular Bitchin' Edition"

:D

Fer Sure.

I like that they like, kept the wrong girl on the cover. Like, Deborah Foreman was soooo bitchin...but they were like, no way. I'm so sure.

Brian McHale 04-29-03 01:07 PM

Never heard of The Sure Thing. Whos in it? Ill prolly get it as a blind buy.
The Sure Thing was the second film that Rob Reiner directed (Spinal Tap was first). It is an intelliegently written teenage romantic comedy. But don't let that scare you, it's a great movie!

The Nature Boy 04-29-03 05:08 PM

Wow, outstanding news!!! Hats off to MGM and any other company that gives these movies a proper treatment on DVD, with as many special features as possible. I'm sure Nick Coppola's involvment helped matters, but in any event, I'm happy to see a loaded disc. I'll be buying on day 1!!!

SergeantPinback 04-29-03 09:05 PM

Originally posted by Brian McHale
The Sure Thing was the second film that Rob Reiner directed (Spinal Tap was first). It is an intelliegently written teenage romantic comedy. But don't let that scare you, it's a great movie!
It would make a great double feature with SAY ANYTHING....

isamu 06-27-03 08:34 PM

HOLY CRAP THAT IS AWESOME NEWS FOR WALLEY GIRL

Now...

WTF is up with releasing Breakin' in full frame? :mad:

And will Hot Dog and Good Burger come in a special 2 pack fast food bundle?

Oh and where's the love for Tuff Turf? James Spader is the MAN! And since it's open season on the 80s can I get Misheif and 8Million Ways to Die? :D

VHS? 06-27-03 08:39 PM

All great movies and must gets for this 80's lover.
BUT WHERE THE HECK IS RAD!!!!!!! Thrashin' but no RAD,you cant do that :mad:

dtsmovieguy 06-27-03 11:18 PM

Originally posted by isamu
Now...

WTF is up with releasing Breakin' in full frame? :mad:

I don't know what the hell they're thinking MGM/UA/... boy, this really pisses me off.

prince_of_saturn 06-28-03 01:09 AM

Originally posted by isamu
[B]

Oh and where's the love for Tuff Turf? James Spader is the MAN! And since it's open season on the 80s can I get Misheif and 8Million Ways to Die? :D

TUFF TURF is already out on DVD, but the awesome Anchor Bay, which IMHO is a far superior DVD company than MGM, They originally released FLAMINGO KID, and glad I kept my OOP Anchor bAY DVD of it, since MGM doesnt sound like they remastered it.

I wished they had released BREAKIN and RAPPIN, Anchor Bay please release them correctly, I know you can.