DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   possible 2 disc treasure planet in the future? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/288971-possible-2-disc-treasure-planet-future.html)

Mikey 04-28-03 11:08 AM

possible 2 disc treasure planet in the future?

Most Disney films like Dinosaur, Atlantis, the Emperor's new Groove, etc seem to come out on 1 disc versions and then are later released with 2 disc special editions, often with a new DTS track. So I was wondering if others anticipate that there may be a new 2 disc set coming in the future?

I kinda want to buy the new disc, but I read that the DD track wasn't that good (dvdfile), so I would much rather wait till a cool DTS track, like the one of the Atlantis 2 disc set. So, I may just put off buying it at the moment.

Does anyone have any info from Disney?

harosa 04-28-03 11:46 AM

All of these came out in either 2 disc or single versions at the same time, there was no lag time in between releases.

pdjennings 04-28-03 11:53 AM

I wouldn't expect a re-release on this one. It didn't do too well in the theater.... so I doubt they'd want to dump too much more money into it.

Which is a shame.... because it really was a pretty cool flick.

That said... if it did happen... i'd pick it up in a second :) :)

PixyJunket 04-28-03 11:57 AM

Someone at Disney decided to shelve 2 disc sets for this year.. this is why Lilo & Stich and Treasure Planet are being released this way. Once they realize there's a market for them (as has been since the days of Disney's collector's LD sets) we may very well see these 2 get a better treatment.

Lilo & Stich 2 disc may be coming early next year to hype Lilo & Stich 2! *hope hope hope*

SCHMEGGA 04-28-03 12:33 PM

Will a later 2 disc version of Lilo and Stitch and Treasure Planet net the company a profit? If you can find the answer to this then you know the answer to whether or not they will be released.

movieking 04-29-03 01:06 PM

Wasn't TP announced as a 2DVD version at first, as well as a single DVD?

trigun 04-29-03 01:20 PM

Re: possible 2 disc treasure planet in the future?

It sounds like TP has a ton of extras on the disc, so I'm not quite sure why there is a need for a rerelease.

AdamComic2 04-29-03 01:39 PM

Wasn't TP announced as a 2DVD version at first, as well as a single DVD?
If I remember correctly, it was. Then Disney decided to say farewell to dual releasing single and doubles at the same time. Anyone else remember this?

LBPound 04-29-03 01:57 PM

No, Treasure Planet was never announced as a 2-disc.

movieking 04-29-03 02:03 PM

At one point, Ultimate Disney had both versions listed as being for release.

LBPound 04-29-03 02:33 PM

Originally posted by movieking
At one point, Ultimate Disney had both versions listed as being for release.
No, it definitely didn't. :)

animefan 04-29-03 02:38 PM

I think I remember European release will be 2 disc edition.

But definitely not for R1 US release. No announcement for 2-disc Treasure Planet. But for Lilo & Stitch, there was a rumor that creator had enough extras and wanted to do a SE of it.

PixyJunket 04-29-03 02:44 PM

Originally posted by animefan
I think I remember European release will be 2 disc edition.

But definitely not for R1 US release. No announcement for 2-disc Treasure Planet. But for Lilo & Stitch, there was a rumor that creator had enough extras and wanted to do a SE of it.

The extras for Lilo & Stitch have BEEN done. The idea was to create a 2 disc set to rival even Pixar's set. At the last minute, it was axed, and one of the feautres was cut down to 15 minutes and thrown on the current disc.

:(

movieking 04-29-03 11:59 PM

Originally posted by LBPound
No, it definitely didn't. :)
It was definitely on another Disney DVD site then. I even mentioned it in a thread on a different board on how I found it strange since it didn't do that great in the Box Office...

Aihyah 04-30-03 03:20 AM

looked like 2 disc when i saw it at the store today. didn't get it. it was lousy movie in the theater.