DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Citizen Ruth. Out of print? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/288898-citizen-ruth-out-print.html)

Sunday Morning 04-27-03 11:27 PM

Citizen Ruth. Out of print?

According to some distributors, it's no longer available.

To quote fred willard in a mighty wind:

"Wha Happened"?

RobCA 04-27-03 11:42 PM

"Wha happened", indeed! (I say that a lot too, but I'm quoting Ricky Ricardo) :D

It just came out on the 8th! Amazon and DVDEmpire show it as being in stock.
I saw it at Best Buy a week or two ago.

Rob

Sunday Morning 04-28-03 11:43 AM

Yes, but according to 2 major distributors I spoke with, they say its out of print. So i'm thinking the copies that are in stores/online are the only ones left. Will try to investigate it further, if anyone knows anything, please chime in. Thanks.

the narrator 04-28-03 02:05 PM

let us know what you find out..i want this title, but haven't had much funds lately..if it's going OOP I will have to scrape them up though

Tscott 04-28-03 06:33 PM

I got mine from DDD at $13.80 the week it came out. It looks like it's still in stock there (there's no "out of stock" message when it's placed in the cart).

Roy28 04-30-03 08:36 PM

I haven't heard anything about why this is OOP. If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say that for something to be pulled from release this quickly may indicate either 1.) a problem with the disc or 2.) a problem with the rights to something that is on the disc.

Of course that's just speculation - but it does seem odd for something to go OOP after only a couple of weeks in release. For those who want to pick up a copy before they're all gone - Check Best Buy. I was in two BB's in Atlanta today and they had a buttload of these for $14.99 - although you may still be able to pick it up cheaper online.

Roy

stingo 05-01-03 06:12 AM

Is the movie itself any good?

Roy28 05-01-03 09:00 AM

Originally posted by stingo
Is the movie itself any good?
I think so, but the answer to that question is always a matter of opinion. When it first came out on video several years ago, I had never heard of it and didn't really give it a second glance. Then I happened to catch it on cable and was surprised by how much I liked it.

It's about abortion - which may not sound like a good idea for a comedy, even a dark one such as this. But the film is very interesting, has some good performances and can be quite funny at times. One interesting thing about the movie is that the filmmakers don't make a stand either way - people on both sides of the issue get skewered.

In any case, if you're on the fence about it, I'd say pick it up - since you may like it and it looks like it may not be around for long.