Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

I can't catch up anymore! WAY too many releases every Tuesday! What to do!?

Old 04-26-03, 09:06 PM

I have SO many unwatched dvds & even un-opened dvds, I'm getting really depressed. I have time to watch, but there are just way too many releases that keep coming & coming every week. I just can't keep up, especially when you think of how many dvds have cool features & commentaries that I can never get around to watching...I think I will stop buying and just enjoy what I have. Its just feels so depressing knowing that this & that came out, and I dont have it yet.

I think I'm just going to go to the movies, enjoy the movie once & that's it...no more buying & having them just lie around & collect dust.
Old 04-26-03, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: I can't catch up anymore! WAY too many releases every Tuesday! What to do!?

Originally posted by babka
Its just feels so depressing knowing that this & that came out, and I dont have it yet.
But it doesn't feel depressing knowing that this & that came out and you have it...but you haven't opened it yet?
Old 04-26-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's how I feel Pound. I've got quite a few discs I haven't watched yet, some of which are movies I've never even seen before, and I feel so guilty having them and not even taking the time to watch them. I feel stupid hehe.
Old 04-26-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's this thing called "not buying new dvds" that some people swear by. Others swear by the "wish I had money for new dvd" method. That's the one that works for me.

I wish I had a problem like this.
Old 04-26-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I used to be like this, but have slowed down considerably in the past few months. I have my unwatched pile down to about eight movies; whenever new DVDs are purchased, I make time to watch them within a few days.

I've also gotten over the irrational desire to own everything new and exciting. I'm much more selective now.
Old 04-26-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah seriously - dont get depressed over having movies that you cant watch. its not THAT big of a deal.
Old 04-26-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My unwatched DVD pile is in the hundreds... Box sets, commentaries, features, movies...

I suppose that I could simply stop wanting new movies, but that is getting into some deep phiosophical areas there...

My thought is that you buy the movies so that on any given day, you can walk up to your collection and say... I want to watch THIS kind of movie today.

Could be a week from now or 5 years from now, but you have that option.

So that's my two cents...
Old 04-26-03, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i wish dvds cost 2 cents.
Old 04-26-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by atari2600
i wish dvds cost 2 cents.
Old 04-27-03, 12:03 AM

I wish I was like all of you but I can't even afford one dvd in like 6 months, now thats depressing. Knowing there are a whole bunch of DVDs you want but can't buy. Now that is depressing!

I need a job and no one will hire me! Wah!
Old 04-27-03, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Kerborus
My thought is that you buy the movies so that on any given day, you can walk up to your collection and say... I want to watch THIS kind of movie today.

Could be a week from now or 5 years from now, but you have that option.
Old 04-27-03, 10:33 AM

I'd suggest you stop buying It used to bother me as well that I have 50+ dvds that I havent' watched yet I go down to Best Buy or deepdiscountdvd and purchase 4-6 more. Then I figured, what the hell I only live once. Plus as there are fewer and fewer catalog titles I really want, I'll eventually dwindle them down. What really hurts me are thoese Season Sets and huge documentries.

-Tim
Old 04-27-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My unwatched are also more than 200 (and I only have ~250). But I didn't start collecting until around Sept./Oct. last year which is after I started anesthesia school. Since then I have been unable to watch anything except for a few here and there. But starting May 16th the summer session starts and it is supposed to be considerably tamer. I am hoping to catch up on a bunch then and even more after I start residency this August. I am already loking at around $300-400 spent already on DVDs for the months of April and May. The pace quickens!
Old 04-27-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been putting titles down as "want to buy" but only at a really inexpensive price in the future, so my DVD buying of new releases has trickled in the past couple of months.
Old 04-27-03, 03:32 PM

Solution......

Buy what you REALLY want be it a all time favorite or something your sure you may like(do some research first).

Be very selective. Set a budget,limit yourself to only 1-2 dvds at a time every so often.

Don't buy everything on release week. Especially titles you don't like,but have tons of extra features. Thats just a waste of $$$$. Patience is a virtu...use it wisely..& you may slow down considerably..not to mention find them at lower discounted prices later on

Right now i can't buy ANY dvds or cds for that matter...since i'm out of work. Yet as soon as i find a job. I am going to still go about my dvd buying ways..& try to be very selective.

Though this year & next have got to be the best or worst(depending on how you look at it) time to be a major film fan. All those MGM,Warner..& the sought after Blue Underground titles(99% of which i haven't seen..but have been curious of) are must haves for myself for one reason or another.

Yet i will try to be very selective & only get a few titles i feel i must own at the time. The rest can wait..& also be put on my Xmas list for others to buy me,hehe

Yet i agree the real purpose of owning a collection of favorite(or new discoveries that are impossible to find for rental) films is to view them later on whenever you feel like it. Afterall there are so many films out there....that you can't rewatch your entire collection every year. So one year you may watch a couple films multiple times..& others you may not watch again for a few years down the line. All depends on what type of mood your in.

Thats how i go about my cd collection. I usually listen to the newest cds the most,then get in the habit of listening to other stuff for a periof of time,then later on..rediscover my other cds..& listen to a period of time..& repeats from there.

As for my dvd collection. I rarely watch a certain film more than once in a short while of time. Sometimes it may be months later..or even a year later before i see it again.
Old 04-27-03, 04:27 PM
Banned

I buy so many titles and I buy things that come out on Tuesdays.

I don't feel depressed buying dvds because I always find time to watch them all.

I have watched every single purchased I got.
Old 04-27-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would agree... What I started doing was waiting for DVD"s to get under $10. Some Examples: I waited to get these movies when they went on sale. Mars Attacks $4.99, Lawnmower Man $5.99, Screamers $7.99, The Toy $4.99, SeeNoEvil HearNoEVil $6.99, THE Blob $7.99, Batteries not Included $7.99, Original Sin $5.99, and the list goes on. I just love seeing movies this cheap at Fry's, CC, and Best Buy. I wish more older movies and newer ones would get this cheap sooner.
Old 04-27-03, 07:36 PM
Admin Emeritus

Stop buying DVDs off the rack and wait until they're available from Columbia House as enrollments. By the time they get there, you're going to save a lot of money, and maybe realize that some of the discs you wanted, you really don't want. Like you said, you've got a huge backlog of DVDs you haven't watched, so even if you take a break from buying, you'll still have movies to watch.
Old 04-27-03, 08:01 PM

What to do... catch up on your movies, and pick up movies from the store when you want them. You don't have to get them right when they come out, they'll be there a little later on.

You could also try out Netflix for movies you'd like to see but not 100% on owning, that way you can still enjoy the DVD but not have to worry about buying as much.
Old 04-27-03, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

easy, GET A SECOND JOB I'm in the same boat as well I have over 300 in my back catalog that I want plus over 100 announced titles.
Old 04-27-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Can't catch up? Just give up.
Old 04-27-03, 09:26 PM

If you have so many unwatched DVDs sitting around, maybe it's time to be a bit more picky on DVDs you buy. Only buy the DVDs you intend to watch.
Old 04-27-03, 10:02 PM
Cool New Member

Are those of you have 100+ unwatched DVDs all single? If not what is the secret to your staying married? ;-)
Old 04-27-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am engaged to be married... So technically, I'm not single. So as far as staying out of trouble, it's simple - I hide my new purchases.

What she doesn't know, won't hurt her.

In the future my tactic will be to budget out for DVD's and pre-order them showing that I am being selective and getting the best deal. If that doesn't work, I'll beg and grovel.

If that doesn't work, I'll buy them anyway and hook my DVD player up in the garage, when she kicks me out of the house...
Old 04-28-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've slowed waaaay down on buying. Got to the point where I was buying anything new that looked remotely interesting to me. Now, I'm trying not to buy stuff I've never seen (I do cheat every once in a while...bought Secretary and Rules of Attraction recently...loved both though). I just got to the point where i thought "what's the point of having a huge DVD collection if it's filled with movies that mean nothing to me?"

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.