Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

I can't catch up anymore! WAY too many releases every Tuesday! What to do!?

Community
Search

I can't catch up anymore! WAY too many releases every Tuesday! What to do!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-03, 12:59 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've decided to try to be more selective when choosing TV shows seasons. Really in the time you've watched one season of "x" series, you could have watched 8 or so movies. I get just as much and often more out of watching one 2-hour movie rather than a 16-hour complete series of a TV show. Of course, there are exceptions both ways. I am the type too that would never skip around or only watch certain episodes, I always have to watch everything in sequence from beginning to end.

I hope being selective about TV shows will save time and money in the long run. The one thought that does nag at me is the fear that certain TV shows might go out of print and I'll have to pay out of the wazoo anyway down the road for them. For example, I really can't see the entire series of X-Files, STNG, etc. staying in print forever, they aren't cheap at all and I don't think casual fans or Joe Sixpack would even pay $75-$100 for a season set to begin with.
Old 04-28-03, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get a second job?
Old 04-28-03, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

enter a 12 step (dvd) program :
Old 04-28-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I made a New Year's resolution to keep my max monthly DVD purchases at 20 a month by seriously weeding down re-purchases of my LD titles, and I've been able to do it so far this year (though June may end the streak for me). I've been able to keep my unwatched list to about 10-15 so it's not so bad for me.
Old 04-28-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

for me...most of the time Tuesdays dont provide enough dvds. thats why I add on 5 or 6 catalog titles during release week...to make up for the lack there of. theres nothing wrong with unwatched dvds. I keep buying, because according to the "experts", dvds wont explode or fall apart for a few years, so why not stockpile before something goes oop or before something prevents you from buying anything for 3 or 4 months? a few months back....my biz was very slow...maybe 1 job a week. could hardly buy 2 dvds a week. didnt make me feel bad though...I had a back-up of several dvds to feel good about.

not buying because of little money is one thing...but not buying 'cause you cant keep up with watching...thats silly.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 04-28-03 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-28-03, 09:08 AM
Banned

Funny, i was gonna post the opposite. There hasn't been anything that has tickled my fancy in over a month.
Old 04-28-03, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RENT DVDs. How many times are you going to WATCH that DVD, anyway?

Old 04-28-03, 01:16 PM
Cool New Member

I am engaged to be married... So technically, I'm not single. So as far as staying out of trouble, it's simple - I hide my new purchases.
Tried it; doesn't work. I was stashing DVDs in a box in the closet, but my wife quickly figured out that I would go into the bedroom and when I came out, a DVD we had never watched had suddenly materialized in my hand.

If you seriously think you're going to keep up your buying habits after you're married, you had better get it written into your prenuptial agreement or have her include it in the vows.

Besides, I now have a mortgage, two Roth IRAs, a 401K, and a college fund for my 5-month old to finance. I've definately had to cut back.

I still have a backlog of about 15, but that's mostly because I spend more time playing with the baby than watching movies. My wife is taking the baby to visit grandma for a week in May, so that will be some movie marathon.

Brad
Old 04-28-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so far i've only missed a handful of releases I wanted this year,b ut over the summer when i have to save most of my money for school I am sure to fall behind
Old 04-28-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watch two to four DVDs per week ($0.50 per rental), and I never run out of movies to watch.
Old 04-28-03, 03:03 PM

No one can have everything in life. I would catch up on the ones you havn't watched first, keep a list of want titles and buy them
gradually. Priority your wants and try to relax. Don't let it become an addiction!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-03, 03:04 PM

I am trying to cut down and only buy things I really, really want because I also have a lot stocked up to watch. I am married, but so far my DVD buying hasn't been a problem. My husband and I have been married almost 14 years. Luckily, we both like the same music and films, so it works out. I am the big DVD person though. We plan on having a child soon, so this is one reason that I am trying to budget my DVD buying. Once that happens, I'm sure I'll have less money and less time for DVDs.
Old 04-28-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by billy9215
No one can have everything in life. I would catch up on the ones you havn't watched first, keep a list of want titles and buy them
gradually. Priority your wants and try to relax. Don't let it become an addiction!!!!!!!!!
it's toooooooo late!!!!!! It's like a drug addiction only not as bad I guess.

I'm tryin' to slow down, but I keep finding all these good deals....it's getting ridiculous. I have like 360 DVDs, and at least 2/3rds of them are still sealed. If only I gave up working out and became a couch potato, I'd be able to catch up on my DVDs, but that ain't gonna happen.
Old 04-28-03, 03:55 PM
Banned

Those of you that say "stop buying and rent" need to realize that Blockbuster and Hollywood video don't offer any of the titles I want. I can't rent The Tiger of Escaphern or Django or Hangmen Also Die or most CRITERIONS.
Old 04-28-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I would suggest renting also (if the titles you want are available), but think how bad you would feel if you rent something and don't get around to watching it-then you'd really be wasting money.
Old 04-28-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I despise renting for many reasons. I'm collecting so I may have my own, long-lasting library of personal favs and reference material. lets see....drive to the store. rent a dvd, drive home...and then drive back and drop it off. add up the gas and wasted time and you can afford to just buy the damn dvd!!
Old 05-04-03, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TO CLEAR UP THE APPARENT CONFUSION::::::

I do NOT suggest renting. I don't like it much.

My post was a reference to a pathetic advertising campaign from Blockbuster Video. I would think the sarcastic types in here would recognize their own. Sigh.