Search

High-definition DVD

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-03, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High-definition DVD

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...atoday/5107799

Mike Snider USA TODAY

Even as the public's love affair with the DVD blossoms, the tech world is hard at work in the lab creating the next generation of high-definition disc.

With 56.5 million DVD players sold since 1997, it's not too early for engineers to work on a successor. It took about three years to develop DVD, and new players and prerecorded discs probably won't arrive in final form for at least three years.

Don't panic; any future player also will handle the discs you buy today. But just as DVDs are of higher quality than TV, digital TV and high-definition programming have leapfrogged the quality of DVD. And as sales increase for digital TV sets, capable of displaying video two to three times better than that of DVD, the industry is wrangling over ways to keep up.

''The good news is, Hollywood is not trying to cheat consumers. The studios, artists and directors really want to get the home theater experience as good as possible,'' says Richard Doherty of consulting firm The Envisioneering Group. ''As good as DVD was over VHS, high-definition (discs) will be an even higher jump in image quality.''

Beyond better video, HD-DVD discs may hold seven-channel soundtracks and more interactive bonuses, such as automatic software that, through a Net-linked home entertainment server, could connect online for additional language soundtracks and live chats with filmmakers and actors. ''Those are the kinds of areas we're working on in defining the format,'' says Erin Sullivan, with Panasonic's entertainment technology laboratory in Hollywood.

Most companies involved are skittish about discussing next-generation discs for fear of confusing consumers and derailing DVD. But about two years into the discussions, several systems are competing to become the standard:

* The Blu-ray Disc, supported by nine major makers, including Sony, Panasonic, Philips and Pioneer, could store up to 50 GB of data (more than six times the data capacity of today's DVD) by using a blue laser beam instead of the current red laser. Blu-ray recorders and players could play current DVDs, but Blu-ray discs could not be played on current players.

* Advanced Optical Disc, a second blue-laser system proposed by NEC and Toshiba, brings disc capacity to 20 GB. One advantage touted by backers: Today's DVD-making equipment could easily be modified for the new discs.

* HD-DVD-9, based on the current DVD format, uses improved software compression to pack 135 minutes of HD video onto the disc. It was developed by Warner Bros.

A format decision is expected by the end of the year. But that hasn't kept the technology from peeking out early: Sony released a Blu-ray DVD recorder in Japan earlier this month for about $3,800. HDTV is more prevalent there, and viewers increasingly want to time-shift high-definition programs.

With DVD, prerecorded discs and players hit stores first; DVD recorders are just starting to reach the mass market. Today, DVD players start at as little as $50; recordable drives for PCs can be found for $300; stand-alone recorders sell for about $600.

----------------------------------------

How long do you think it will be until these players / discs phase out normal DVD players / discs?

How long do you think it will be until most non-high-definition DVDs are re-released as high-definition DVDs?

Will you upgrade your collection to high-definition versions of discs you already own, or keep what you have but only buy new high-definition discs for movies you don't already own?

Will this announcement affect your current DVD buying habits?

Last edited by cloudnin; 04-28-03 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-28-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I cant wait! It is amazing that the quality of DVD is going to get better. What a fun ride I have been on since I discovered a love for movies and the hardware that helps make them even more fun.

I cant wait for my entire set up to become wireless and to be controlled by my pc or mac...i cant wait for a 7 speaker system with two subs and a tivo system that has hdtv capabilities (coming soon...but a lot of $).

Oh man, its gonna be a fun life!

Oh...and the surf is always gonna be there...i love life
Old 04-28-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

oopps...the questions.

1) probably 5-6 years i would guess...like vhs
2) this will probably take a while...some may not even be replaced
3) i will replace only the ones i think are "great" movies
4) no way will it change my buying habbits. i enjoy movies too much!
Old 04-28-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: High-definition DVD

Originally posted by cloudnin
How long do you think it will be until these players / discs phase out normal DVD players / discs?
Well, DVDs have been out for a good while and CDs are still alive and well. Even VHS is still breathing.