DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   One of us! One of us! [Reactions to Warner Bros chat] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/288166-one-us-one-us-%5Breactions-warner-bros-chat%5D.html)

RKillgore 04-24-03 06:00 AM

One of us! One of us! [Reactions to Warner Bros chat]

The transcript of the chat with Warner Brothers, which gave us information about the upcoming A Christmas Story SE, has given me a few more things to be excited about.
  • Freaks in 2004
  • Marx Brothers A Day At The Races, A Night At The Opera, and more
  • More The Thin Man movies (but no box set planned)
And some disappointments:
  • Continued use of snappers for single disc releases
  • SEs of Batman and Batman Returns won't come out until new Batman theatrical releases and we know what a mess that is
  • Blade Runner SE still in a legal quagmire, but they're still working on it
What are you looking forward to from this transcript?

ckolchak 04-24-03 06:31 AM

What are you looking forward to from this transcript?

Treasure Of Sierra Madre 2 disc set (sept)
Adventures Of Robin Hood 2 disc set (sept)
Casablanca anniversary edition (sept)
more Thin Man films (i think these will be coming out rather slowly though since they nixed the idea of a boxed set, i'll bet they'll be coming at the rate of about 1 every year- hope i'm wrong)
The Libeled Lady
The Postman Always Rings Twice
Beast From 20000 Fathoms (oct)
Valley Of The Gawangi (oct)
Captain Blood (i'm assuming this will definitely be part of the Flynn promotion in 4th quarter '04)
Swing Time (mentioned in a previous chat and known to be undergoing restoration)
King Kong (ditto)
A Christmas Story SE
The Sea Wolf
The Val Lewton RKO's

darkside 04-24-03 07:42 AM

I'm glad for more Marx Bros and really excited about Freaks. Looks like I won't be replacing my Thin Man LD box set anytime soon though.

Pants 04-24-03 11:38 AM

Warner needs to REALLY pick up the pace. This is a step in the right direction, but they have SO MANY films in their vault they should be releasing 20-30 titles a month.

and WHERE ARE MORE MGM MUSICALS!!!!!!

cineman 04-24-03 11:40 AM

Swing Time?

Fantastic!!!!!

JoeyOhhhh 04-24-03 11:44 AM

I'm looking foward to:
16x9 Vacation, Christmas, and Vegas
16x9 Christmas Story
60th Anniversary Casablanca
Police Academy Movies

What I don't like:
No plans for Batman: TAS season sets
No Batman and Batman Returns SEs (waiting for new flicks to be released is just a waste of time)

Things I'm glad Warner shows some interest in doing:
Superman II SE with Donner's cut

the narrator 04-24-03 12:03 PM

i'm looking forward to widescreen Vacation movies, and the Hitchcock movies

Deckard-10 04-24-03 01:18 PM

Re: One of us! One of us! [Reactions to Warner Bros chat]

What I'm looking forward to:
A Christmas Story: SE
Babylon 5: Seasons 2 - 5

What I don't like:
Further use of snapper cases
Still no Blade Runner SE
No DTS

Rizor 04-24-03 01:44 PM

I'm really looking forward to the Casablanca 60th Anniversary Edtiion among other things. But wasn't its 60th anniversay last year? Oh well. Better late than never. :)

Geofferson 04-24-03 02:13 PM

I am looking forward to The Outsiders: Extended Version the most. :up:

gutwrencher 04-24-03 02:53 PM

Originally posted by Geofferson
I am looking forward to The Outsiders: Extended Version the most. :up:
I resemble that remark-wink-:thumbsup::thumbsup:. so much good news there's too much for me to list. some favs I've been waiting for: THX-1138, Black Scorpion, Valley of Gwangi, Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, High Sierra and To Have and Have Not. if everyone would just have paitence, most of the films you want....will get here.

Chad 04-24-03 03:40 PM

Looking forward to quite a few titles:

A Christmas Story: SE
Freaks
THX-1138
Black Scorpion
Beast From 20000 Fathoms
King Kong
16x9 Vacation Movies
Return Of The Living Dead 2
The Outsiders: Extended Version
More Hitchcock

DavidH 04-24-03 07:21 PM

I am VERY disappointed about Batman: SE not coming for what appears to be a long time.

Also, I really want Goodfellas and Blade Runner SE's.

I do look forward to an OAR of Christmas Vacation.

I wish I could have asked about an OAR of Arthur and a Heat:SE.

HistoryProf 04-24-03 07:22 PM

Treasure of the Sierra Madre 2disc SE!!! :drool: That's easilly the gem of the list for me :D

Alien Redrum 04-24-03 07:26 PM

Freaks for me!

About time! :thumbsup:

DarthMaul420 04-24-03 07:26 PM

Well it's great that they are finally working on some new stuff.

Thumbs down to snappers though.

Also, why do they keep neglecting the first two Batman movies? We have heard nothing but rumors about them for the last four years! They know the demand is there.

trdn89 04-24-03 07:36 PM

Treasure of the Sierra Madre's been a long-time want of mine. I am SO there on that release day.

insanecollector 04-24-03 07:56 PM

I cannot write a lot since I creamed my keyboard when I read all these titles coming out.

Gerry P. 04-24-03 10:44 PM

Originally posted by Rizor
I'm really looking forward to the Casablanca 60th Anniversary Edtiion among other things. But wasn't its 60th anniversay last year? Oh well. Better late than never. :)
Casablanca premiered in '42, but apparently didn't go into release until '43.

Plus, "61st Anniversary Edition" just isn't as catchy.

Rockybalboa 04-24-03 11:18 PM

Disapointed and happy

Happy
Vacations

Disapointed
Batman/Supermans
Over the Top
Electric Dreams
DTS
Snappers
Goodfellas

jough 04-24-03 11:55 PM

Why is everyone so excited about the "60th Anniversary Edition" - that's not a very descriptive title? This could be simply a re-tread of the previous release.

Me, I'm not going to buy Casablanca until it's available in 16x9 anamorphic widescreen.

NO 16:9, no sale. ;)

-- Jough

Julie Walker 04-25-03 12:15 AM

Does anyone know exactly was cut from Freaks when released?

Said to have been originally around 90mn..but the studios got cold feet after some peoples reactions,that they cut it down to 64mn!

If the footage exists..i would love to see this restored!

Also anychance of Warner actually releasing The Devils uncut?

They were very vague in the chat. Yet it could mean good news since the person asked for a uncut release..& they replied "Thats a possibility..though no release date is set at the moment". At least i hope they would actually go through with it.

I'm very happy about the uncut Tom & Jerry news..+ The Loony Tunes should be uncut as well.

Then their's plenty of other titles i'm looking forward to.

Now if only i were rich. Since next year..as well as this will break my bank if i buy all the titles i want(which is overwhelming this year & next!). Hmm better start saving everything i can,hehe:)

Gerry P. 04-25-03 12:45 AM

Originally posted by Julie Walker
Does anyone know exactly was cut from Freaks when released?

Said to have been originally around 90mn..but the studios got cold feet after some peoples reactions,that they cut it down to 64mn!

If the footage exists..i would love to see this restored!

The excised footage no longer exists.

Randy810 04-25-03 01:14 AM

TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT

One of my very favorite movies. I cannot wait. Seems that several of my favorites are finally coming to DVD.

:johnwoo: :D

Matt925 04-25-03 01:24 AM

I'm just disappointed about the lack of progress on the Scorsese movies. I don't care about any of the other ones (I will upgrade Goodfellas, but I can live with the current version) but I want After Hours now, dammit!