DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Note, Dances with wolves ee is a flipper (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/288062-note-dances-wolves-ee-flipper.html)

Rypro 525 04-23-03 05:39 PM

Note, Dances with wolves ee is a flipper

Not that I am complaining or anything but I know that many of you are gonna be pissed at this the review is here.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=136825
The second disc is not a flipper. Luckuly, the picture quality according to the review is not any bit different from the orignal version (Ron had the dts version)

NaturalMystic79 04-23-03 06:08 PM

Considering the film, quality of the transfer, and the plethora of extras I'll definately be picking up this disc come May 20th. :)

eau 04-23-03 06:11 PM

It is not a really a flipper considering they HAVE to span this 236-minute movie over two dual-layer surfaces anyway. It is a DVD-18 that they are using (double sided, dual-layer disc). Some people may rather prefer two DVD-9's instead of one DVD-18 (that would make it a 3-disc set). Either way you still have to move you butt half way in the movie to flip/change disc, unless you have a multi-disc changer that flips discs too.

PortlandFilmGuy 04-23-03 06:36 PM

I always thought the definition of a flipper was a DVD you had to flip during playback. But when you present a definition like that I have to ponder and rethink what a flipper really is.

Okay, I've thought about it and a flipper is a DVD you have to flip during playback.

shanester 04-23-03 06:43 PM

I thaught "FLIPPER" was a famous dolphion I use to watch as a kid..:)

For what the set goes for $22.74cdn (pre-order) on amazon.ca this is a steal IMO

Definite pick up for me :up:

NaturalMystic79 04-23-03 06:47 PM

I wonder how much Best Buy will sell this DVD for? I'm guessing $19.99.

Julie Walker 04-23-03 07:41 PM

You know..i never really mind having to flip or change a disc durring a long film. Afterall do you really sit through the entire film without moving from your seat?

I usually use the breaks for a quick bathroom break & to grab something to drink. Even if not that..i still don't mind having to flip ocasionally.

Heck i made it through my Criterion Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind CAV laserdisc set with no problems despite have to flip & change discs every 40mn!

So unlike the other people who complained about early flipper discs like The Wild Bunch. I had no problems with them:)

now it's great having a whole 2 hrs 30+mn film on one side of a dvd. Yet if the film is even longer than that. Then i do not mind having to flip or changes discs.

hondo21 04-23-03 07:42 PM

A "flipper" in the negative sense of the word in DVD parlance referred to a DVD release that should have had the movie on one dual-layered side but instead broke up the movie into two single-layered sides. These were common in the early days of DVD before dual-layer disc production ramped up.

A DVD-18 must be "flipped" but it is not a "flipper" in that sense, since the movie must be broken up in any case.

jough 04-23-03 07:46 PM

It's a flipper. If they made it a 3-disc set, people with changers could have loaded it up and not have had to get up off their buttocks to watch the whole film.

Rypro 525 04-23-03 07:46 PM

For some reason, I prefer to get up and change discs even though I have a one disc player.

Joe Molotov 04-23-03 07:59 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
For some reason, I prefer to get up and change discs even though I have a one disc player.
Just take the disc out of the player, put it back in the box, then take it out of the box and put it back in the player. Problem solved! ;)

WiccanPagan 04-23-03 09:21 PM

sheesh, what is this flipper advocates r us? i thought it was cheaper to make 2 9's instead of 1 18? and aren't the 18's more prone to delamination? c'mon now why on earth would anyone want a 1 disc? for those who like flipping, you can get the same effect with changing the 2 discs. and if you need a break we all have pause buttons. :( boo on the flipper.

MurraySiskind 04-23-03 09:28 PM

yeah, flippers eat it. this is why i have a changer so i don't have to get up off my lazy butt to change anything. And i too enjoy pausing the films to use the facilities or whatever, but i like to do so at my own discretion not b/c the technology dictates it.

jough 04-23-03 09:30 PM

They just want you to buy two copies of the DVD-18 so that you can put both sides in your changer at once. ;)

eedoon 04-23-03 11:23 PM

Originally posted by Joe Molotov
Just take the disc out of the player, put it back in the box, then take it out of the box and put it back in the player. Problem solved! ;)
Double sided discs get finger prints and stratches easier.

hondo21 04-23-03 11:35 PM

Having a single-tray player, it doesn't much matter to me. Since the movie disc is a DVD-18 it makes this a 2-disc set, instead of 3-disc. I'll bet some (not all) of you complaining about this would instead be complaining that you couldn't get it as a Columbia House enrollment title if it had 3 discs. So pick your poison.

Movie_Man 04-24-03 11:37 AM

I also have a single disc player, but I still prefer single sided discs. For one, it's certainly labeled more clearly.

Back when T2:UE came out, I searched high & low for the 2 disc version because I didn't want the single disc.

MurraySiskind 04-24-03 11:53 AM

Originally posted by jough
They just want you to buy two copies of the DVD-18 so that you can put both sides in your changer at once. ;)
:lol: Right. It's all marketing.

Doug Schiller 04-24-03 12:23 PM

Why on Earth would someone want 2 discs if they can have one?!??!?
I have yet to hear an argument on why people want 2 DVD9s instead of DVD18.
It blows my mind. Are we living in some sort of Bizarro world?
If it is pride that you have one more DVD than the next guy, but a box of DVDRs.
If it can fit one on disc, it should be on one disc, period.
(Just Kidding)

Bravo to MGM, you got a sale for your support of the technology.

Doug

Dacoops3 04-24-03 12:56 PM

Although a 3-disk set would IMO be "cooler", I understand that a DVD18 is the same as 2 DVD9's and it doesn't really matter. I am just glad we are finally getting this in a SE!!!

Roberteb 04-24-03 01:00 PM

Why on Earth would someone want 2 discs if they can have one?!??!?

Well, I think the convenience of not having to flip the dvd during the film, when your at you most comfortable seating position, is a good reason. I hated flipping laserdiscs and I hate flipping dvds! I have a DVD changer and a DVD flipper makes this obsolete. Plus, flippers are more prone to get scratched and are harder to read what side is what.

Brad Hood 04-24-03 01:09 PM

I wonder how much Best Buy will sell this DVD for? I'm guessing $19.99.
Best Buy pre-order price is $19.99. However, if you pre-order Die Another Day, you can get a coupon for $5 off Dances with Wolves. I guess that means you have to wait until June 3 to get both discs, however.

Brad

bboisvert 04-24-03 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Brad Hood
I guess that means you have to wait until June 3 to get both discs, however.
By which time the price for Dances with Wolves will probably be $5 higher, nullifying your coupon. ;)

Rypro 525 04-24-03 01:49 PM

Since Windtalkers is 3 discs, is the movie on 2 discs or is it 2 discs of extras and a flipper.

snakkie 04-24-03 02:05 PM

We'll need a user-manual to teach us how to flip the DVD without touching the surface to ruin the DVD. That is, the manual must describe how to use your right and left hand in best position to flip the DVD.