DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Darkness Falls scared the **** out of me!!! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/288013-darkness-falls-scared-%2A%2A%2A%2A-out-me.html)

Skouby 04-23-03 01:55 PM

Darkness Falls scared the **** out of me!!!

The Dolby 5.1 track on this movie just ROCKS!!! I kept jumping out of my seat almost every 5 minutes and my wife kept dropping her face in my lap. I never knew a PG-13 movie could scare us so much.

Maybe having a THX Ultra receiever also helped...

F For Fake 04-23-03 01:58 PM

Re: Darkness Falls scared the **** out of me!!!

Originally posted by Skouby
my wife kept dropping her face in my lap...
Maybe this movie has some practical application after all! ;)

buckee1 04-23-03 02:54 PM

I thought the same about this picture. The audio is incredible and definately provided more jumps and scares than I expected.

tacos 04-23-03 04:01 PM

Re: Darkness Falls scared the **** out of me!!!

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie.

Originally posted by Skouby
Maybe having a THX Ultra receiever also helped...
I'm sure it didn't hurt any.

d2cheer 04-23-03 04:11 PM

My only complaint is that is only 1 hr and 15 mins. long... some of the deleted material would have made it much stronger....

there was a lot of stuff cut according to the IMDB.com

I wonder if some more graphic footage was cut to get the PG 13...
and yes it sounded great.

danol 04-23-03 05:31 PM

I think I'll wait for the Directors Cut, I like scary movies since 1954. THEM first scary flick at the local movie theater at age 7.

Rammsteinfan 04-23-03 05:33 PM

IN the commentary they said they were doing a PG13 to start off and no gore was being used... so PG13 is as good as it will get.

DVDTalker002 04-23-03 08:50 PM

I thought the picture quality sucked on this dvd. Plus I thought this was 1:85:1 why are there bars?

littlefuzzy 04-23-03 09:21 PM

So, do they not use the story to frighten any more? It seems like new horror movies are just blasting sound effects and creepy music to frighten the audience..

Ghostface180 04-23-03 09:36 PM

Originally posted by Rammsteinfan
IN the commentary they said they were doing a PG13 to start off and no gore was being used... so PG13 is as good as it will get.
However, the original rating on posters and the official website was R until a few weeks before its release.

DRG 04-23-03 10:27 PM

I thought the first 15 minutes were incredible, creepy stuff. After that it was okay, but typical. And I really wish they would have kept the original creature design... The movie was a bit disappointing for me for these reasons, but I still enjoyed it overall.

Rammsteinfan 04-24-03 12:31 AM

I loved the original TF that McFarlane produced as a toy. It was so much better than Freddy's Grandmother who was the final design for the TF... Oh well.

babka 04-24-03 04:00 AM

I love horror movies, but this film sucked the big one. It was really stupid imo.

John Atkins 04-24-03 07:04 AM

It BORED the **** out of me.

Skouby 04-24-03 01:26 PM

Originally posted by John Atkins
It BORED the **** out of me.

Maybe you need to get yourself a new pair of speakers and upgrade to the 5.1 format. Watching this movie in stereo (Dolby 2.0) will do that to you.

Also, try watching it with your significant other.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Skouby
My wife kept dropping her face in my lap. [QUOTE]

It helped me...;)

Giles 04-24-03 01:39 PM

Originally posted by babka
I love horror movies, but this film sucked the big one. It was really stupid imo.

Originally posted by DRG
I thought the first 15 minutes were incredible, creepy stuff. After that it was okay, but typical. And I really wish they would have kept the original creature design... The movie was a bit disappointing for me for these reasons, but I still enjoyed it overall.
I agree with DRG, the first 15 minutes were effective and creepy, but then as babka points out, this film went down the toilet IMO. This was even worse than Dreamcatcher.

JaxComet 04-24-03 04:37 PM

Originally posted by babka

Agreed. This flick is horrible in every possible way......

Aphex Twin 04-24-03 06:14 PM

This movie sucked.

insanecollector 04-24-03 06:53 PM

Pretty bad movie even with the hot chick from Buffy and on my great home theater system.

a123slonky 04-28-03 05:39 PM

I like this movie more since I saw it in the theater. The two commentary tracks are example of what a commentary should be. People just talking nonstop and having fun. The grandmother comment at the end of the writer's commentary made me lol.

danol 04-28-03 06:18 PM

puddytay

If your seeing black bars this would I believe this would indicate a non-anmorphic pic. What are doing watching home theater with lights on?

When you go to the pay for ticket movie theater they dim the lights for your attention to film starting, they don't turn the lights back on again until the end of the film. You ought to try it it's called *Home* Theater!

P.S. The black, red or blue bars etc. would not be seen, just the film you paid to see at the Cineplex wallet emtying movie palace. ;)

Leon Liew 04-28-03 06:23 PM

To each his own really. The movie has not reach our Singapore
screens yet but I got a glimpse of the trailer from the XXX DVD
and it's seems scary but one thing I agree the audio sure
ROCK.

Darkfriend 04-28-03 10:47 PM

Even if the audio is great the story SUCKS!! It started ok but then got all mixed up...Stay in the light!!!!!! Don't lose your last baby tooth -smile-

Like some evil "Phantom of the Opera" floating witch is gonna get me at 34 years old coz she forgot about me when I lost my last baby tooth...

Very, very bad movie.

thegame370 04-29-03 03:46 AM

Originally posted by Aphex Twin
This movie sucked.
Right on! One of the worst movies ive ever seen! Extremely laughable.

1Randyc 04-29-03 05:48 AM

Of course story of the movie is nothing to praise about but this dvd has incredible sound mix that makes it worth checking out at least.
When I was wathcing it, I activated the back surround speakers with 6.1 processing and cranked up the volume.
The sound tracking of the fairy was jaw dropping, I almost felt the fairy was acutally in my room creeping up on me ready to strike.

Do check it out as a rental to test out your sound system.
I for one shamelessly went out and bought it and I intend to keep it as it has become one of the reference disc for testing out dolby digital mix. I guess this is like Swimfan. Very bad movie but worth owning for excellence in technical area. By the way, if you do not know, Swimfan's visual is quite stunning almost HDTV like.