DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   IMPORTANT: Will my dvds get damaged if left inside a moving truck (Uhaul)? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/287960-important-will-my-dvds-get-damaged-if-left-inside-moving-truck-uhaul.html)

azmunch 04-23-03 10:33 AM

IMPORTANT: Will my dvds get damaged if left inside a moving truck (Uhaul)?

I will be moving from NJ to CA the end of June. Unfortunately, I have to use a moving truck (U-Haul) to transport my stuff during the 7-day roadtrip. I don't trust the mail service enough to send my dvds via usps or ups. If I leave my dvds in the back of a moving truck for a week, will the extreme heat (100 degrees plus)damage them? Is there anything I can do to minimize the damage? Thanks for your help!

resinrats 04-23-03 10:50 AM

keep them with you in the cab. Take out the discs and put them in slim cases for the trip.

Iron_Giant 04-23-03 10:58 AM

If you put the DVDs in a big box and wrap the box in a few blanets, the heat stay outside the box and your DVDs will be just fine.

Tha Freak 04-23-03 11:09 AM

Send them to me via UPS I will take care of them :D

JoeyOhhhh 04-23-03 11:38 AM

Maybe you should pick up a couple CD binders and store your discs in there for the trip, and just pack the DVD cases up.

Ænima 04-23-03 02:21 PM

I have heard bad things about the binders, any specs of dust can create large scratches as the discs are slid in and out. You will probably be best leaving them alone.

buckee1 04-23-03 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
If you put the DVDs in a big box and wrap the box in a few blanets, the heat stay outside the box and your DVDs will be just fine.
Agreed. I did this while moving from MI to PA and the discs are all just fine.

gutwrencher 04-23-03 02:51 PM

I own a moving company and this is how I do it. all you need are good boxes with no holes or rips....and that seal with all flaps. tape along flap seams well. then get a roll of plastic wrap from U-haul and wrap the boxes 100%....I mean TOTALLY wrap the box and seal it. do not place boxes on floor of truck. instead, place them on a dresser or whatever. sit NOTHING on top of the boxes except for other "light" boxes or pillows. as long as each box is sealed up tight.....you should be fine. and for gods sake, buy a padlock. BTW, if the truck has a "grannys attic", use this space for the dvd boxes. thats the safest place in case of an accident and theft. have a great trip!

p.s., when you pick up the truck....during the inspection....check the inner-roof of the truck for holes and previous damage. this is also another good reason to use wrap. it protects the contents from moisture...where blankets will not.

danol 04-23-03 03:15 PM

besides gutwrenchers ideas

Keep them in the keep cases with a piece of scotch tape accross the center holder of the disc, to prevent the discs from scratching inside the case.

The heat or cold must *not* affect the DVD packages as those UPS trucks have *no* heaters or air conditioners behind the driver. He/she closes a door to keep packages from hitting him/her while driving.

I am a former tractor trailer driver from 18 years ago, things if kept tight will not fly around.

gutwrencher 04-23-03 03:35 PM

Re: besides gutwrenchers ideas

Originally posted by danol
Keep them in the keep cases with a piece of scotch tape accross the center holder of the disc, to prevent the discs from scratching inside the case.

it's not often that I transport any of my discs, except from the vault to the couch(-wink-), but this is what I do also, anytime I happen to take one over to a friends house. very good idea. never hurts to go safe all the way! if you have a few thousand dvds though....better take a few days off! again, have a safe trip, lock up the truck and stay clear of the idiots on the road that just cant handle a vehicle....which is most of them.