Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Flintstones, Where's the Flintstones, They're the Modern...well, you know - any news?

Flintstones, Where's the Flintstones, They're the Modern...well, you know - any news?

Old 04-23-03, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A great TV series - genius, if you will. Between the characterizations, the music, and the admirable, above-average animation (during the 60's, most TV-based cartoons like Hunkleberry Hound and Yogi Bear had lazy animation), this series is a shoo-in for Season-Sets.

But when?
Old 04-23-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I dunno...the whole scheme for Flintstones+DVD=crappy. It's like extremely hard to find the GOOD flintstones movie (john goodman), yet it's TOO easy to find that Viva Rock Vegas movie. Just doesn't make sense. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Flintstones for a loooooooong time.
Old 04-23-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm referring to the cartoon series, not the movies.
Old 04-23-03, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Buttmaker,

I'm with you I would love to see this show on dvd. I think it would even outsell the Simpsons..

Who doesn't remember Yazoo and Mr Slate??
Old 04-23-03, 04:26 PM

I have the first 14 episodes on laserdisc, it is so cool! I want more, I vote for this also!
Old 04-23-03, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Open Up Your Heart and Let The Sunshine In
-Pebbles & Bam-Bam
Old 04-23-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Buttmunker
I'm referring to the cartoon series, not the movies.
I know you were talking about the cartoons. If you read my post more carefully, you'll see the point i was trying to make, is that The Flintstones movies are released in a crappy manner, not much attention or thought has gone into releasing those movies...(hence it's so hard to find the GOOD movie of the two) and that because of this bad trend on DVD for The Flintstones in general...we probably won't see the cartoons arriving anytime, for a long time :P
Old 04-23-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by shanester

Uhhhh, it was the Great Gazoo.

Doesn't Warner Brothers have rights to this show? I expect to see season sets of this some time after the season sets of Young and the Restless come out. While it does appear that Warner has learned their lesson for regular TV shows in season sets, they are still on training wheels when it comes to animation in such sets, especially animation they see as "kid's" entertainment. Batman TAS deserves sets and would sell like wildfire, but they insist on putting out sporadic collections with only four episodes per disc. What gets me about Waner on this issue is that their sister company, Rhino, sells butt loads of animation sets on DVDs, and blew the competition out of the water with their Transformers sets. Since Rhino is a WB owned company, it's not like their sales numbers are a secret to WB. All I know somebody at WB needs to be slapped around or fired.
Old 04-23-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Calhoun,

Thanks for the correction..I didn't know Warner owns the rights..If they don't think it's worth releasing they should sell the rights to another Studio

Imagine what Criterion could do with these..)
Old 04-23-03, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Calhoun,

Thanks for the correction..I didn't know Warner owns the rights..If they don't think it's worth releasing they should sell the rights to another Studio

Imagine what Criterion could do with these..)
I am not 100% sure they own the entire series, but I imagine they do since it's a Cartoon Network show, and WB put the pilot episode on the Cartoon Crack-Ups DVD. They don't need to sell it completely, really, just let the folks at Rhino do the sets! Rhino is the Criterion for cult TV anyway!
Old 04-24-03, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Who doesn't remember Yazoo...
Or Beano, the pet dinosaur. He was the best.
Old 04-24-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Buttmaker,

I'm with you I would love to see this show on dvd. I think it would even outsell the Simpsons..

Yazoo would be the British synth pop group (Alison Moyet and Vince Clarke)

I loved "The Flintstones" when I was a kid. The animation cracked me up. Especially the background. When anyone was running or driving, you'd see the same mountain/cloud/tree behind them. Over and over and over. Same with the interior of any house. Looked so small on the outside. But again, if anyone was running through a house, in the background....window/lamp/chair, window/lamp/chair, etc. etc. LOL! Also, every now and then, something would disappear for a split second. For example, Wilma was talking once and one of her little round eyes vanished and then reappeared. I remember howling at this even as a kid.

And who could forget about characters like Ann Margrock and Stoney Curtis!??
Old 04-24-03, 09:23 AM

Count me in ... I'd LOVE to see the Flintstones cartoons on DVD!!! Especially the ones with Gazoo.

How about that Hitchcock-takeoff? (Can't remember the character name) . "Good EEEEEEEvening"

Bring it on!!!!