DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Guzzlefish - How come they won't let me use it? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/287650-guzzlefish-how-come-they-wont-let-me-use.html)

jough 04-22-03 12:14 AM

Guzzlefish - How come they won't let me use it?

I've been looking at Guzzlefish, and I think their stats and presentation are great (although the severe amount of banner ads really detracts).

However, I can't use it.

They won't let me enter a number of titles at a time - I'd have to search for each one, and then add my collection ONE BY ONE.

I wish I had the time.

Does anyone know if GF has any plans to be usable in the near future? I e-mailed them and never received a reply.

-- Jough

Ginwen 04-22-03 12:19 AM

I don't know the answer, but looking at your list, it will probably take you an hour or less to enter them all. Just pull up your DVDAf list, and go off that. You can enter them all by UPC, but then you'd have to grab the actual cases, which is a pain.

You don't have to enter the whole thing, so for some you can get a bunch at one swoop (like Austin Powers, just enter that and you'll probably get all three).

The part that took me forever was entering my music.

jough 04-22-03 12:29 AM

Well, I still only have about a third of my discs in DVD AF too.

There's just no way I'm going to enter them one by one.

So I guess I shalln't be using GF.

I thought maybe someone else may have known about a better way to enter them that was poorly documented or otherwise hidden on their web site.

-- Jough

jarofclay73 04-22-03 01:07 AM

How do other DVD catalog programs work? You can choose from a list?

skipnet 04-22-03 01:21 AM

Jough:

I use DVD Profiler and Guzzlefish, I entered my 900+ library into Guzzlefish in 3 hours.

Skip

dave19 04-22-03 01:45 AM

dave from Guzzlefish here...

you can enter in multiple titles by UPC currently.

multiple titles are extremely hard to code because they need to be exact, and soooo many titles have multiple dvds.

If you use DVDprof, you can easily export your UPCs from their system.

Sorry about this, but it's one of the pains of using a new catalog program. We'd like to think our extra features warrant the time. We've personally witnessed 1000 title collections entered within 30 mins though.

Skank 04-22-03 09:47 AM

Any plans for discs from other regions?

jough 04-22-03 10:24 AM

Originally posted by dave19
dave from Guzzlefish here...

multiple titles are extremely hard to code because they need to be exact, and soooo many titles have multiple dvds.

Well, that's why I started using DVD Aficionado - they have a quick import system where I can just paste in 300 titles at a time and select the version of the disc that I want.

Very efficient.

I do, but "easily" may be a funny word for it.

Sorry about this, but it's one of the pains of using a new catalog program. We'd like to think our extra features warrant the time. We've personally witnessed 1000 title collections entered within 30 mins though.

Oh, I understand. I'm surprised your system is as functional as it is for the length of time it's been online.

Perhaps someday down the line it'll be more user friendly as you develop it more. I'll keep checking back.

I didn't start this thread to slam Guzzlefish, but because I couldn't find an import function, thought that there may not be one, but was hoping there was a feature that allowed me to easily enter titles en masse. Wishful thinking, I guess.

-- Jough

Caliking 04-22-03 10:52 AM

Hmmm...That is funny. I thought guzzlefish was and is extremely user friendly. You can enter multiple UPC codes which, looking at your collection, might take 1/2 hour if that. On top of that, although they seemed to have slowed down, they continue to add cool features. I switched to Guzzlefish only because I think it is very user friendly and provides a nice presentation...not only that but it is also interactive...now you dont have to watch the movie to have fun with it (ok, that is an exageration but it is a fun site to mess around with).

CalebC

ScottReynolds 04-22-03 07:26 PM

Guzzlefish - How come they won't let me use it?

Maybe they just don't like you?

Maybe they are jealous of your collection?

Maybe you angered them is some unknown way?

I'm sorry man - if I had a kew dvd collection site, I'd let ya register :-)

jough 04-22-03 07:31 PM

Well, I finally went ahead and tried to import my DVD Profiler UPCs into Guzzlefish - it recognized only about 60% of them, which frankly was better than I thought it would do.

But I spend a half an hour and went through both lists and added the titles that were missing.

So it's up. I don't know if I'm going to continue to update it, but adding a single title wasn't any harder than adding a single title in DVD AF or Profiler, but if I'm going to add multiple titles (I usually update my lists in batches) then it could be a chore to update GF, I think.

Here's hoping they make it easier to import titles in the future.

-- Jough

Randy810 04-22-03 10:08 PM

How do you export DVDPRO to Guzzlefish?

jough 04-22-03 10:14 PM

Hi Randy,

It ain't easy. First you need to export to XML (because for some reason known only to the DVD Profiler developers, the CSV export doesn't export the UPC - idiocy), then you need some kind of XML parser (I use eXpat and PHP) to extract only the UPC elements (I used an XSLT stylesheet) then you need to put them all on one line with a space between them.

However...

Guzzlefish seems to only recognize about 2/3 of the UPCs in Profiler - so it's a hit and miss proposition.

GF is a nice idea - but it seems like it's not ready for prime time to me.

-- Jough

jough 04-22-03 10:17 PM

Originally posted by Caliking
I switched to Guzzlefish only because I think it is very user friendly and provides a nice presentation...not only that but it is also interactive...now you dont have to watch the movie to have fun with it (ok, that is an exageration but it is a fun site to mess around with).
How is Guzzlefish more interactive than say, DVD Profiler or DVD Aficianado?

Did I simply not see the interactive features on their site? Am I missing something "fun"?

-- Jough

Venom 04-22-03 11:17 PM

look through this thread and others and click some poster's links to their guzzlefish collection. you can then add bulk titles by checking boxes on their list and then submitting them to your collection. of course depending on tastes it can be very hit or miss. going through 4 people's collection got me about 2/3 of my 250 collection.

weldon 04-22-03 11:58 PM

I'm a big fan of Guzzlefish. DVDAF doesn't have many features. There's not much info available on the movies and not many (any?) ways to interact with other users. Guzzlefish has loads of details on the movies (with good data from Muze), user reviews, forums, and ways to easily browse other members' collections.

That said, I agree that additional import options would be a good idea. I managed to get about 110 of 130 dvd's by grabbing the UPC from DVD Profiler (I printed a custom report to file). It was pretty easy to add the rest.

There are two things that keep me using DVD Profiler: (1) tracking purchase details, and (2) printing thumbnail reports that show the slot # the disc occupies in my jukebox. When Guzzlefish gets those features, I won't go back.

Racer94 04-23-03 06:25 AM

I have a question:

why doesn't any of the dvd list provide options for prices paid besides dvdtracker? I like all the different options but none have price paid over msrp like they did.

Tim

wdodd 04-23-03 08:29 AM

DVDAF can track price paid. I don't think they implemented a very good interface for it, but you can do it. Guzzlefish has said they will add that feature later on, but it's the one thing that keeps me using DVD Profiler.

Caliking 04-23-03 10:18 AM

Jough-

Guzzle has forums. Fun stats to mess with (so does profiler but i dont like the lay out as much). X-Change. Highlights movies you own with other users. Private Messaging...which has been suprisingly used a lot.

Granted there are some things that are missing that could make it an even better site, but I also think that even in its humble beginning it has passed up the others when everything is included. I was a huge profiler fan but I stopped using it for guzzle. A lot of my friends have made the switch also and none have regreted it yet.

Can't wait for them to extend to even more features but it has already taken my collection over. Hopefully more people will jump on ship too!

digitalmanAZ 04-23-03 12:40 PM

Originally posted by wdodd
DVDAF can track price paid. I don't think they implemented a very good interface for it
For DVDAF I fill in the Place, Price, and Date fields but they are useless until they implement some sort of reports/stats. I duplicate all my purchase details in the comment field so it shows while browsing my collection.

Ginwen 04-23-03 12:57 PM

Originally posted by Racer94
I have a question:

why doesn't any of the dvd list provide options for prices paid besides dvdtracker? I like all the different options but none have price paid over msrp like they did.

Tim

Actually, DVD Profiler has this option as well. It also has reports that total it for you (or you can export to Excel very easily and figure it out yourself).

Randy810 04-23-03 02:51 PM

Thanks for the quick rely. I think that I will wait until or if Guzzlefish has a better import option. I have over 1500 DVDs and do not feel like going to all that work to import only 2/3 of the list. DVDPro is just fine has the features I want is is simple to use.

dave19 04-24-03 06:07 AM

yeah, don't worry about criticizing our site, we try to look at all feedback objectively. obviously each program has it's strengths. many of the features discussed here are in the works.

as i always say whenever one of these posts pop up i still think our number one feature is our willingness to actually troll boards like these and get user opinions. i think we've had a pretty decent track record the past 2 months about getting features in there and we have quite a bit more planned. if you don't dig us now, you may next month, our goal is to constantly evolve.

Rogue588 05-28-03 08:40 PM

so...have you guys come up with away to 'port over a collection from, say, DVD Profiler yet...?

mdc3000 05-28-03 09:13 PM

I just signed up for Guzzle and find it pretty damn good... I'm enjoying it, they have a few features I hope they refine, but overall, it's a very promising site

MATT