Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Guzzlefish - How come they won't let me use it?

Guzzlefish - How come they won't let me use it?

Old 05-28-03, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
so...have you guys come up with away to 'port over a collection from, say, DVD Profiler yet...?
I brought over my collection from DVD Profiler but it took some doing on my part. I created a custom report that only had UPC in it. I printed that report to a text file and then massaged it in Word to remove everything except a single space between UPC codes. I then did copy and paste into the search field at Guzzlefish (it takes multiple UPC's in the field).

It came back with 15 or so UPC's that weren't found out of 130 or so. I then went back to DVD Profiler and used the "add by UPC" feature to look up the title. Guzzlefish had all the remaining DVD's, but I had to search by title to find them.

Took me maybe 30-40 minutes altogether, but it was worth it. I really like the community features of Guzzlefish.
Old 05-28-03, 09:40 PM

How about titles from different regions?
Old 05-28-03, 09:48 PM

There's a few in there now that the submission process is up and running. Guzzlefish did a smart thing by paying for the Muze listings for R1 titles to "pre-populate" the database with good data, but it will take a while to build up the non-R1 entries.
Old 05-28-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have been waiting for Cheers and Frasier going on 2 weeks now. I have sent 2 e-mails asking about the hold-up with no replies at all. I would search for news on the site, but since there is no search feature I can't. I would love to love this more, and yes, I understand it is new and "evolving" but not having major titles that were well publicized or their cover-art is frustrating.
Old 05-28-03, 10:33 PM

Part of the problem there was that the developers went on vacation for a week (just got back) and haven't responded to everyone yet. The last word was that they would try to get through all the submissions over the next couple days.

On some of the high profile titles that are missing, they are trying to work with Muze to get those updated. It's kinda weird that they aren't in the Muze listings already.
Old 05-29-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 153 Likes on 113 Posts
I added most of my domestic discs to Guzzlefish, but I found a couple that weren't in the database. I submitted additions a couple of weeks ago but there has been no sign of an update.

I was also not pleased that the 'Add Title' form forces you to attach a copy of the disc's cover art. That was a tremendous pain in the neck.

If it's this much trouble to add domestic titles, I'm not going to bother trying to add any of my foreign titles. In which case, the program is useless to me.
Old 05-29-03, 02:04 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Catch Me if You Can is still only semi-listed. No specific DVD listing - the media type is simply unknown. Bizarre.

Anyway, no, they have no easy import utility yet - the UPC method described above is the best they can do (well, it's not the best they *can* do, it's just the best they're doing).

I inputted the first 200 discs of my collection, and it only recognized a little over half of the UPCs.

DVDAF.com has a GREAT easy import method - it's by title, and you can select the version you want from a list. Good stuff. Quick and easy.

GF still has a ways to go to be truly useful, but hey, it's new. It'll get better.
Old 05-31-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They do finally have Frasier and Cheers listed.
Old 05-31-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love Guzzlefish.

Dave, one suggestion...you need a listing for non region 1 discs!

Any plans?
Old 05-31-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by weldon
I brought over my collection from DVD Profiler but it took some doing on my part. I created a custom report that only had UPC in it. I printed that report to a text file and then massaged it in Word to remove everything except a single space between UPC codes. I then did copy and paste into the search field at Guzzlefish (it takes multiple UPC's in the field).

It came back with 15 or so UPC's that weren't found out of 130 or so. I then went back to DVD Profiler and used the "add by UPC" feature to look up the title. Guzzlefish had all the remaining DVD's, but I had to search by title to find them.

Took me maybe 30-40 minutes altogether, but it was worth it. I really like the community features of Guzzlefish.
Using this method, it took me about 2.5 hours to put in 640 DVDs from Profiler. Of that, there were 39 titles that Guzzlefish couldn't identify by UPC.

Update: Most of the titles that weren't found were due to UPC codes that were one number off. Some of my titles just aren't in there, and they are Region 1. Example: Volumes 5-15 of the Best of the Muppet Show. There are other mainstream Region 1 titles that don't show up, too.

After using it for a few hours, there are some nice features, but I'm personally leaning towards staying with DVD Profiler.

Last edited by imp66; 05-31-03 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-31-03, 08:28 PM

DVD Profiler... I use a bar code scanner to enter multiple DVD's... You can find them cheap on ebay...

later...
Old 06-01-03, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just signed up for Guzzlefish yesterday. I've only got 84 DVDs, so it took me about 15 minutes punching in the UPCs off the cases.

Only problem I ran into is that my T2 UE came back as T2 Extreme Edition. Just had to manually change that.

GF even had my History Channel WWII 2pks, I'm impressed.

The only thing I'd love to see is to be able to auto-sync my GF collection to my Palm. Just so I don't accidently purchase a DVD I've already got (already did it once, even with my small collection)

Last edited by darkflounder; 06-01-03 at 02:46 AM.
Old 06-01-03, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, DVD Profiler is working on a Pocket PC version......

On a seperate note, anybody use the sell/trade feature of GF? I can't figure out how to do it if you want to put them up for trade, not sale?
Old 06-01-03, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by imp66
Well, DVD Profiler is working on a Pocket PC version......

On a seperate note, anybody use the sell/trade feature of GF? I can't figure out how to do it if you want to put them up for trade, not sale?
Although not a true PocketPC "format" you can export your list as an xml or csv file to your PocketPC for easy portability. This is what I do for now. Makes it easy to view wishlists and owned discs.
Old 06-13-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to revive this thread on the chance that Dave is still reading. I sent this via the feedback on the site also, but thought it might be good to post it here as well.

Guzzlefish accepted all of my international submissions. That's good news and makes it much more useful for me. Two things are really bugging me about the functionality of the site, though:

1) I think there should be a way for users to submit either changes or additions to the specs and description of a disc without having to enter a review. I, for one, would like to keep track of what region code a disc is, whether it is NTSC or PAL, and its list of special features. I don't want to enter this as a review, because doing so forces me to select a rating for the disc, and I have no interest in doing that.

2) Whose idea was it to force someone manually entering a title to choose the actors and director from a pull-down list of 10 zillion names rather than just typing it in? That is very frustrating. It takes a lot longer to scroll through the list and find the right name than it would to just type it in.
Old 06-13-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, great service!
The only problem I have is in entering games. . . some older games aren't listed, like Starcraft, the first No one lives forever, and some other titles. What's the deal with that?
Old 06-13-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are still at least 25 titles that I can't enter unless I do it myself. There's very little inspiration for me, since I have no trouble with them popping up in DVDProfiler.
Old 06-13-03, 03:36 PM

1) I think there should be a way for users to submit either changes or additions to the specs and description of a disc without having to enter a review. I, for one, would like to keep track of what region code a disc is, whether it is NTSC or PAL, and its list of special features. I don't want to enter this as a review, because doing so forces me to select a rating for the disc, and I have no interest in doing that.

I'm not really sure what this question is asking. You want a notes feature per title, or you want the ability to edit titles? Or do you want an output stat of how many other region titles you have? please clarify.

2) Whose idea was it to force someone manually entering a title to choose the actors and director from a pull-down list of 10 zillion names rather than just typing it in? That is very frustrating. It takes a lot longer to scroll through the list and find the right name than it would to just type it in.

you know those stats that everyone seems to love on our site? it's impossible to do without the dropdowns. user error on a site of this size is pretty awful. i'd say that maybe 70% of the data that comes in is approvable. If we had people typing in actor and director names they'd mispell everything and screw up the stats. next thing id know id have 50 emails a day about why so and so isn't their top actor when cleary he is. Let's also not forget our friends who don't properly capitalize. As for having to submit cover art, obviously we want that data in there, when it isn't we get five other users who send in emails about why it isn't in there.

3. The only problem I have is in entering games. . . some older games aren't listed, like Starcraft, the first No one lives forever, and some other titles. What's the deal with that?

our games DB launched all of one week ago. it only covers the past 2 years. since we've launched games, we've had over 300 submissions (starcraft was just submitted, it's in now).

I won't go into detail about the other older complaints in the older posts because they've all been fixed since then. At the end of the day you have to realize that dealing with an audience that is obsessive and collecting in nature is an extremely hard set of people to please. We work day and night on the site improving both the data and the functionality of the site and in my opinion we do the best job at actually talking to users and trying to fill their wishes. And remember, we do this at a huge cost to ourselves (Guzzlefish total revenue since launch - $68, total costs - thosands). We will always run the site no matter what the cost simply because we like doing it and find the work challenging.

As for our amount of foreign region data, it grows every day. For every person who complains about how we don't have so and so title, we have two guys who actually take the 5 minutes to submit it in. The data will average out with the other guys eventually. This isn't even a worry for brad and I. We're 4 months old and have thousands of new titles in the DB already.

Guzzlefish remember, is also not just a DVD site, but music and now games as well. We provide this service to our users for $0, we haven't sold a single email address or piece of user data and have 0 ads on our site. We've done this not with a company, but with 2 college kids. We value our users and know that it's you guys who keep the site going, help us out by submitting titles or having your friends join up. The more members of guzzlefish, the better our data will be.

As always, feel free to ask us more questions. And if you have immediate concerns, send me an email or make a note on our feature request boards. I try to check the other DVD boards as often as possible, but I'm human and sometimes end up drunk and can't read ;-)

Last edited by dave19; 06-13-03 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-13-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dave19
I'm not really sure what this question is asking. You want a notes feature per title, or you want the ability to edit titles? Or do you want an output stat of how many other region titles you have? please clarify.
What I was thinking of is a Notes feature. Something where you can enter data without having to rate the disc.

But now that you mention it, the ability to edit titles (with moderator approval, of course) seems like it would be a huge help. I know I've spotted a few errors in the listings already.

An output stat for foreign titles wouldn't be a bad idea, but this is a lot lower on my priority list.

you know those stats that everyone seems to love on our site? it's impossible to do without the dropdowns. user error on a site of this size is pretty awful. i'd say that maybe 70% of the data that comes in is approvable. If we had people typing in actor and director names they'd mispell everything and screw up the stats. next thing id know id have 50 emails a day about why so and so isn't their top actor when cleary he is. Let's also not forget our friends who don't properly capitalize.
OK, I see what you're saying. I still find it frustrating to enter titles, but I do see the need for it now.

As for having to submit cover art, obviously we want that data in there, when it isn't we get five other users who send in emails about why it isn't in there.

Well, what I found frustrating is that none of the cover art I've submitted has yet wound up on the site anywhere. Does that take a lot longer to post?

At the end of the day you have to realize that dealing with an audience that is obsessive and collecting in nature is an extremely hard set of people to please. We work day and night on the site improving both the data and the functionality of the site and in my opinion we do the best job at actually talking to users and trying to fill their wishes. And remember, we do this at a huge cost to ourselves (Guzzlefish total revenue since launch - $68, total costs - thosands). We will always run the site no matter what the cost simply because we like doing it and find the work challenging.
Dave, if my comments above sounded critical they weren't meant to. I was just trying to offer suggestions for ways to improve the site for all users. I think you guys have been doing a great job so far and I definitely appreciate you taking the time to respond to us here.
Old 06-13-03, 04:35 PM

no, don't worry, they didn't.

cover art takes longer to get in. they go in in batches, usually once every 2 weeks.
Old 06-13-03, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have noticed that the movie submission process is much better without all the mandatory crap that was not applicable to some titles such as documentaries. My favorite mandatory one was the one that asked for "video format" and the only option was "widescreen."

I have to admit that it is getting better. I am glad to see that Dave is floating in the boards and making notes. It is appreciated.
Old 06-13-03, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The thing that is still holding me back from using Guzzlefish is that I'm still waiting to be able to put my purchase date and the price I paid for the DVD in the database. I sort my DVD's by purchase date, and I can't do that yet.

I mentioned this to Dave when Guzzlefish was first starting, and I thought it was going to be one of the first things to be added, but it still seems to be missing. Any timeframe?
Old 06-13-03, 10:45 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Catch me if you can is still not listed by media type - it's listed as neither dvd nor vhs.

There was another title it couldn't find, too (some new release) but now I don't remember which. Adaptation? The Pianist 3-Disc from TVA? I think one of those.

But it's still a very nice service, despite the title/UPC entry being labourious and frustrating.

-- Jough
Old 06-14-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dave19
no, don't worry, they didn't.

cover art takes longer to get in. they go in in batches, usually once every 2 weeks.
OK, thanks.

So what do you think are the chances of getting a Notes feature, or the ability to submit edits to the listings?
Old 06-14-03, 03:33 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by jough
Catch me if you can is still not listed by media type - it's listed as neither dvd nor vhs.

There was another title it couldn't find, too - The Pianist 3-Disc from TVA
Okay, so this was fixed.

Now how about making "Band of Outsiders" show up as a Criterion disc?

And adding Kevin Smith as the writer of both "Mallrats" and "Clerks: Uncensored".

Maybe there should be a "Guzzlefish Errors" thread or something, although that would probably be better suited on GF's own forums.

-- Jough

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.