DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   AM I alone on this?? (re-releases that really do not need to happen) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/287246-am-i-alone-re-releases-really-do-not-need-happen.html)

Rockybalboa 04-19-03 10:16 PM

AM I alone on this??

Hello all

I am sure this post will get tons of reply's unless I am wrong on this as well.
I am wondering if anyone else is seeing through the horrible change in the dvd industry?
I am seeing all these re-releases that really do not need to happen, the reason I am upset is the studios need to finish releasing all their titles first, then remaster.

Do we need more versions of Halloween? T2? Men in Black 1,2? Army of Darkness? Resident Evil?

Why not remaster titles that really need a remaster?
Scarface, Sixteen candles/weird science, The first Karate Kid, Twins, Death becomes her, True lies, Titanic, Rocky 2,4, and tons more.

Every time I post anything like this, I get slammed, does no one else think studios should be putting out the titles we do not have yet, instead of re-mastering titles that are perfectly fine already?

There has to be someone else who agree's with me on this?

DVD Polizei 04-19-03 10:20 PM

I agree.

Copenhagen 04-19-03 10:23 PM

Yes I agree with you that there are worthy titles out there that need to be done, but alas I have no power in the matter except not to buy these re-released titles.

the narrator 04-19-03 10:46 PM

i agree, but if people stopped supporting all these rereleases the studios would stop..as long as they can get people to buy 2 even 3 copies of their most popular titles that is what they will focus on

packaok 04-19-03 10:54 PM

I agree, for the most part... However, I will be buying the new Halloween 25th Anniversary DVD because it contains the Criterion Halloween LD commentary track -- supposedly one of the best commentary tracks ever.

This will be my 6th version of the original Halloween (3 VHS and 3 DVD) :)

Panda Phil 04-19-03 10:54 PM

No argument here either. Best thing we can do though is vote with our wallets.

I'm actually surprised the studio marketing weasels haven't tried the gimmick of releasing thier more popular films with different 'collectable' covers.

gutwrencher 04-19-03 10:57 PM

Re: AM I alone on this??

Originally posted by Rockybalboa
Every time I post anything like this, I get slammed, does no one else think studios should be putting out the titles we do not have yet, instead of re-mastering titles that are perfectly fine already?

I agree with you. but at the same time I'm not going to stop buying the titles i want, for my personal library, in fear of some guilt trip I might be sent on due to the fact that I contribute to the problem by maybe owning 3 copies of Ran-wink-. and is dvd dead next week? I didnt know that! theres plenty of time to be given these titles, I'm having a hard time keeping up as it is. I also think that this years titles....and next...look awesome.

djtoell 04-19-03 11:07 PM

Originally posted by Panda Phil
I'm actually surprised the studio marketing weasels haven't tried the gimmick of releasing thier more popular films with different 'collectable' covers.
This has been done a few times. Were you around last year for Artisan's Reservoir Dogs SE with different character slipcase covers?

DJ

redrabbit 04-19-03 11:13 PM

i completely agree with you Rockybalboa, but as long as they make money off the re-releases, they will continue doing it.

Michael Corvin 04-19-03 11:31 PM

DVD is no longer a home theater buffs collectible format. It is now a marketing tool. I'm very surprised warner didn't follow through with a remastered Matrix and pop some promo material for revolutions, sell a few more mil. to the same people that already own it.

MJKTool 04-19-03 11:48 PM

Its a BUSINESS for crying out loud!! Why is this surprising to anyone?? If you dont want a re release then dont buy it. Those who do want it.....will. I dont see a problem.

Panda Phil 04-19-03 11:56 PM

Originally posted by djtoell
This has been done a few times. Were you around last year for Artisan's Reservoir Dogs SE with different character slipcase covers?

DJ

Heh, I missed that one. But I'm not in the least bit surprised.

"Trade 'em! Collect 'em! Amaze your friends!"

Cardinal Fang 04-20-03 12:26 AM

I agree with MJKTool on this one. How does it hurt if studios rerelease a title? I'm all for it, because I think more choice is a good thing, and improving existing product certainly isn't the worst thing in the world. If I don't want the "Extreme" edition of T2 because I already have the "(Pen)Ultimate" edition, I won't buy it. If I think it's worth the upgrade, I'll get it. Simple as that.

And if you say that the upgrade of a title that "doesn't need it" is taking away resources from working on the potential release of catalog title, I'd argue that it's that tatic that funds the release of some of the catalog titles. And I'd disagree vehemently if you think that any release of Weird Science (random example) will out-sell the third release of T2, especially considering the increase in the potential market over the last 2-3 years. If you're running the business, which would you do?

D-Ball 04-20-03 01:31 AM

I agree that there a lot of titles deserving of updated dvds, but some of the re-releases that were mentioned were basically reissues of previous discs. Therefore, there wasn't much time or effort spent on them. Many of them are just marketing tools for upcoming sequels.

MrPeanut 04-20-03 02:00 AM

Since there are currently more discs I want coming out then I can afford (or even watch) I can't seriously complain about the quanitity of releases.

FuzzyBallz 04-20-03 02:07 AM

People agree, but they'll go out and buy whatever new version the studios rerelease anyway, just 'cause they can and they will.

JimRochester 04-20-03 09:12 AM

I also would rather see rereleases of movies that are in need vs. movies that already have multiple releases. Mainly because I have held off on the bare bones discs and already have those that have decent releases to begin with.

Rockybalboa 04-20-03 09:15 AM

I am not going to fall for this anymore, I am taking my first stand with the new T2, the version I have is awesome! I am also taking a stand against MGM with there new releases of Fullscreen movies. This format was supposed to be for people who loved movies, now it is going to hell.

milo bloom 04-20-03 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
DVD is no longer a home theater buffs collectible format. It is now a marketing tool. I'm very surprised warner didn't follow through with a remastered Matrix and pop some promo material for revolutions, sell a few more mil. to the same people that already own it.
They announced then pulled a 2 disc Matrix special edition. Seems there were Reloaded spoilers the filmmakers didn't want out.

As for re-releases, in a perfect world, we wouldn't need them. But take Halloween for example. When AB did their 2 disc set years ago, I'm sure they tried for the Criterion commentary. But at the time Criterion would not licence out their materials. Times have apparently changed and Criterion must need the dead presidents, ergo a new release. Would you rather they not release this commentary that everybody wants?

And I echo what others have said, vote with your wallets. nuff said.

danol 04-20-03 03:06 PM

Guilty on 2 counts

I rebought U.E."Stargate" to get the 2nd disc of extras, and I bought the cut on seeing a bit more of actress Sharon Stone on the cross your legs scene of Basic Instinct.

The only time I will rebuy a DVD now is if they make it Stereo or Dolby Surround from a lousy monaural track.:)

jarofclay73 04-20-03 03:10 PM

T2 - There's the Special Edition, Ultimate Edition and now the Extreme Edition. I think a lot of people were highly satisfied the Ultimate Edition. But I have seen the videophiles say that the video quality was "bad." So this new Extreme Edition supposed to feature better video quality and I think the main reason why people will double dip for the Extreme Edition is because of James Cameron's first REAL commentary. His other ones are snippets taken from interviews.

Men In Black - There's the Collector's Edition, Limited Edition and now the Deluxe Edition. I think the Collector's Edition already has a lot of good extras. And I think the Limited Edition had a really cool case. The Deluxe Edition is an unlimited version of the Limited Edition with a MIB2 preview. So, I ended up getting the Deluxe Edition because I had wanted to get the Limited Edition but didn't want to cough up the big money.

Army of Darkness - Okay I won't go over all the editions because there's just too much. Let's just say that the latest edition--The Boomstick Edition--is basically a reissue of the theatrical and the director's cut in one package. I got the Boomstick Edition because I had always wanted the theatrical and the director's cut but didn't want to pay for two separate packages.

The Karate Kid - I agree that this REALLY needs to be re-released in WIDESCREEN. That's all I'm asking for. Would be nice to have a John Avildsen commentary as well and some docs. I'm glad Vacation is going to be OAR soon and I hope The Karate Kid follows suit.

Remember, to release DVDs with GREAT extras, the director and the cast has to be willing to make time to do interviews and commentaries. If they won't do it, then it WON'T get re-released with more stuff.

Since Cameron has finally agreed to do a T2 commentary, maybe True Lies and Titanic is not far behind.

Rammsteinfan 04-20-03 03:16 PM

I dont think they should re-release movies that I already own unless it will have 100's of new extras... :D

Actually, there are alot of movies that I dont buy because there is rumor or another release or it just wasnt at the top of my list. Halloween, dont have and look forward to 25th anniversay edition. T2, wasnt going to get it until Cameron Commentary showed up (unless it gets bad reviews from websites then its off my list) Army of Darkness didnt need to go past the 2 Disc LE but at least there was nothing new added I didnt have. Stargate was a little silly but I bought into it anyways. Thankfully, I can re-sell on Ebay or find family members who dont have the old releases and are willing to take them off my hands.

SCHMEGGA 04-20-03 06:56 PM

Sounds like a great argument to me. I have been waiting on Top Gun and Casablanca for quite a while now, just so that they get the treatments that they deserve. I will not buy them until that time. If that means I never get them, then so be it.

Panda Phil 04-20-03 07:19 PM

The Evil Dead films are really the only ones that bother me about this. There are so many releases. How do we know we're getting the version with good sound, or bad picture, or this ending, or that ending without doing research online first? I do a lot of impulse purchasing so it can be a problem. I picked up the Army of Darkness Bootleg last year just for the commentary and extras. I didn't notice til it was too late that it didn't have the theatrical ending. Now I just can't bring myself to buying yet another version on my limited budget.

Night of the Living Dead is even worse, but at least the excuse there is it's been released by a half dozen different companies all trying to cash in.

TomOpus 04-20-03 07:48 PM

I don't see this as a problem yet. Whenever someone complains about re-releases they always bring up the same 5 or 6 titles. Considering the numbers of titles out there if this only happens to a small number of releases, then I don't understand getting upset over this. At least not yet :)