DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   anyone have real proof of director's cut of daredevil??? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/287225-anyone-have-real-proof-directors-cut-daredevil.html)

diespine 04-19-03 07:58 PM

anyone have real proof of director's cut of daredevil???

does anyone have legitimate proof of a director's cut

i don't think fox is known for making director's cuts and i don't want to miss the 2 disc which sounds like it is awesome, because fox will probably make it a 1 disc like they did fight club, while waiting for a director's cut that might not come out

duz 04-19-03 10:35 PM

Other then the director saying that he had to cut out r rated material because the studio decided to make it a PG13 movie due to the success of Spider-Man? No, none whatsoever.

Jericho 04-20-03 02:41 AM

Re: anyone have real proof of director's cut of daredevil???

Originally posted by diespine
does anyone have legitimate proof of a director's cut

i don't think fox is known for making director's cuts and i don't want to miss the 2 disc which sounds like it is awesome, because fox will probably make it a 1 disc like they did fight club, while waiting for a director's cut that might not come out

I know of nothing official. In fact, even with movies where an official re-release seems likely or is announced before the original street date, they often get delayed. Like with Blackhawk Down. There was going to be a SE, but it was orginally rumored to be 6 months later. Well 6 turned into 12, as it often does. with no offical word, I'd heavily lean towards the current upcoming version.

Rypro 525 07-30-03 06:37 PM

If they indeed are gonna rerelease it right before the Elecktra spinoff, I hope a cut scene shows (spoiler for the movie, not a real one for people who read the comics)
Spoiler:
we know she dies in the movie, but what is not explained is how she comes back to life and thats why the whole premise of the spin off would be legit

trigun 07-30-03 06:47 PM

Originally posted by duz
Other then the director saying that he had to cut out r rated material because the studio decided to make it a PG13 movie due to the success of Spider-Man? No, none whatsoever.
Well, they also cut out the whole trial sidestory featuring Coolio's character.

vivarey 07-30-03 06:48 PM

Taken from the re-release list on this site:

From Mark Steven Johnson via SuperheroHype.com: “...I'm sitting on the mixing stage right now, finishing the Director's Cut. It's 35 minutes of additional footage (nearly 1/3 of the theatrical running time). Thank God for DVD. It will be up to you to decide if it's indeed better or not, but rest assured it's a very different version of the movie. No release date is set yet, they may wait and use it to kick off the Elektra movie. But know that it is definitely being done and it will indeed include everything that was cut from the theatrical release. There is the murder case that Matt and Foggy take, lots of courtroom drama, Matt's own investigation into the case, heaps 'o violence, and the Kingpin gets to show why he's such a bad ass. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long...”

Random 07-30-03 07:03 PM

I kinda doubt that there will be a director's cut, but if you are leaning toward getting the recently released 2 disc, just go for it, there are coupons and great prices all over for this release so its not that big of a deal, plus you're getting a great disc.

just wondering for those of you that have the dvd already, are there deleted scenes at all? I remember they took out that subplot coolio's character was in. I have no desire to see Coolio, so it won't matter too much to me if there are no deleted scenes.

Other than that what else could he have added in? That lame subplot could very well be the 30+ min referred to in that quote that has been posted way too many times.

Rypro 525 07-30-03 07:07 PM

I think Collin Ferrells character Bullsye got cut up as well in the editing, and there are no deleted scenes.

Michael Corvin 07-30-03 09:38 PM

I haven't seen it, but just picked it up for $10. So if this version is good I won't mind double dipping on a $10 purchase.

lesterlong 07-30-03 10:03 PM

Yeah I got it for $10 too I'm not too worried if there's another one coming out. I watched the Jennifer Garner screen test, there were bits of dialogue that weren't in the final film. But that's about all we get to see.

Jericho 07-30-03 11:51 PM

Anything's possible, but many rumors never come true. Since Fox hasn't done many re-releases of stuff released since 2000, that's one strike. Another is the fact this is a loaded 2-disc set. A third is the fact that the director isn't a big name, nor is the film a big hit.

But who knows what will happen.

Rypro 525 07-31-03 01:57 PM

But when it comes to a sequel/spinoff in this case, fox will be all over a rerelease, look at x-men 1.5, imagine the cover "Dardevil: unrated directors cut! See more stuff that was too strong for theaters!"

ipkevin 07-31-03 02:23 PM

I remember reading about a brutal scene where Kingpin beats the crap out of a couple of sparring partners while he is training. Perhaps that is what Johnson is referring to with "the Kingpin gets to show why he's such a bad ass". Because if you think about it, if you aren't familiar with the character already, then the movie never really builds the idea that the Kingpin should be a formidable opponent. He is just suddenly revealed to be so strong a moment before the final fight.

Jericho 07-31-03 02:37 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
But when it comes to a sequel/spinoff in this case, fox will be all over a rerelease, look at x-men 1.5, imagine the cover "Dardevil: unrated directors cut! See more stuff that was too strong for theaters!"
Maybe, but then again, X-Men's original DVD was very rushed which led to many things not being on the first DVD. Of course even X-Men had a rumored longer cut, and yet that didn't even make it to X-Men 1.5 (minus the few small extensions). Daredevil was not rushed, so that doesn't help.

Random 07-31-03 03:22 PM

Oh I remember a deleted bullseye scene now, it was talked about before the movie was released. The scene when bullseye and elektra fight there supposed to be a part where he leans in and kisses/bites her lip :drool: . In the movie you just see him lean in and it cuts away.

littlefuzzy 07-31-03 03:26 PM

Spoilers:
For the Electra scene at the end
Spoiler:
where she dies and comes back, I think one of the cops said "hey, she's still alive" or "I've got a heartbeat" etc.

For Kingpin
Spoiler:
It was implied that he is the one who beat DD's father to death.

gerrythedon 07-31-03 04:20 PM

It shows some of the D.C. footage on the "HELL's KITCHEN" documentary... like the Bulleye kiss on ELEKTRA, more cursing, the Kinpin scene where he beats up his bodyguards, and a car scene [where murdock is at the wheel], etc...

Rypro 525 07-31-03 06:14 PM

I would think there would be more blood in the more violent scene's at the end

Rizor 07-31-03 07:27 PM

If it helps, Bullseye's line of "I want a bloody costume!" was more vulgar, as seen in the making of. Also, in ads, there were deleted lines like 'Time to give the devil his due!" and Elektra saying something about bodygaurds.

More from the director at Superherohype.com:

"Glad to hear everybody digs the DVD. John Medford and the guys at Sparkhill did a great job. I'm really happy that all the creators and artists who gave the devil his due finally got theirs. The Director's Cut has no release date as of yet but will definitely be released and will either be rated R or Unrated. It's not only interesting to see what's added (which is over 30 minutes of story) but what has been deleted as well (i.e. no love scene, no confessionals--both for very good reasons which you'll see). You'll all have to let me know what you think in the end. Also, I think everyone knows about the Easter Egg on the DVD (blooper reel) but nobody has mentioned the little tag after the Hell's Kitchen documentary. Check it out--10 seconds into the credits. DD does the superhero bit and gets electrocuted for his troubles!"

If anyone has questions as to why things would be deleted, in the novel and I'm assuming the original script, the Priest doesn't know of Matt's secret until he unmasks him in the church. And as revealed in the commentary, originally Matt was supposed to leave Elektra on the rooftop and go save a kid, therefore no sex.

Rypro 525 07-31-03 07:34 PM

I heard the sex was filmed about a month before release date to "steam things up"?