DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Twilight Zone Question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/287086-twilight-zone-question.html)

Al Padrino 04-18-03 09:31 PM

Twilight Zone Question

This has always been one of the my favorite shows and while I was happy to see them on DVD a couple years back, I was sorta upset to see them so horribly out of order. I've seen the Gold Collection and while it looks like the "regular" DVD's, I noticed that it said that the eps were in order of airdate. Is this true? Besides the extra stuff like the 5 Features discs and shirt and all that, are there any differences between the Gold Collection and the other options out there (individual volumes and collection box sets)? Thanks.

DavidH 04-18-03 11:54 PM

Are the Gold DVDs "real" or are they using DVD-Rs? I keep hearing different things about this.

jamieoni 04-19-03 12:06 AM

Originally posted by DavidH
Are the Gold DVDs "real" or are they using DVD-Rs? I keep hearing different things about this.
I'd be curious to know the same thing. The anotheruniverse.com site says: "Despite what was previously stated, these disks are not DVD-R, they standard pressed DVDs. The compatibility issues addressed earlier no longer apply." But given their behavior on MY SO CALLED LIFE, I'm not into trusting them.

Al Padrino 04-19-03 09:11 AM

Can someone answer this before it gets buried? I know some of you have the gold set.

imp66 04-19-03 09:56 AM

Here's some info. It looks like they are in order, but I would not recommend ordering from everything I read in those threads.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...=Twilight+Zone

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=250131

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...=Twilight+Zone

dtsmovieguy 04-19-03 01:02 PM

I own the Gold collection and bought them direct from V3 Media who produces these sets. I will be glad to help out any way I can. Just for the record, I just want to help settle the debate.... :)

Al Padrino 04-19-03 03:21 PM

Originally posted by dtsmovieguy
I own the Gold collection and bought them direct from V3 Media who produces these sets. I will be glad to help out any way I can. Just for the record, I just want to help settle the debate.... :)
Are the episodes actually in order of airdate, unlike the TZ eps that were put out in single volumes and then the collection sets? Or is it the same thing?

dtsmovieguy 04-19-03 04:07 PM

The episodes are in order, for example:

Volume 1

Episode: Airdate Tttle
----------------------------------------------
1 October 2, 1959 "Where Is Everbody"
2 October 9, 1959 "One for the Angels"
3 October 16, 1959 " Mr. Denton on Doomsday"

etc, etc...........

I will do some scans later and see what I can come up with.

... :)

Al Padrino 04-19-03 11:00 PM

See, that's how I'd like the other TZ DVD's to be, but they're not. You've got eps. from all different years on the same disc and that just seems sloppy to me. Since I've heard that the collection sets are just the single volume releases in a box, I take it that the Gold Collection is the only way to get these in order of airdate?

jedidiah 04-19-03 11:13 PM

Yep, I'm afraid the Gold Collection is your only option if you want them to be chronological.

DiscGuy 04-20-03 12:01 AM

Chronological Zone is not an issue

Chronological order is not an issue (for me) concerning Twilight Zone. The shows are stand-alone. Story lines do not cross episodes. It's more important to have a complete set of all episodes.

I bought the Twilight Zone sets after remembering how much we enjoyed a marathon on the Sci-Fi channel. Those episodes were broadcast all out of order, moving back and forth freely between seasons ... and you know what? It didn't matter and was still great fun! Now that I have the DVDs, I can watch them without commercial interruption. Fantastic!

I've collected X-Files, Star Trek NG, OZ, Friends, Sopranos, Buffy and several other series on DVD. For all of these, I can understand the importance and necessity for the chronological ordering. But for Twilight Zone, the same need is clearly not there. How many times are you really going to watch 156 episodes in order vrs how many times are you going to seek out your favorite episodes? (My favorite: A World of His Own) Trust me on this one: this is one series where you are looking for specific episodes...not a specific order.

I always enjoyed Amazing Stories and appreciated the small sampling of shows that were delivered on laserdisc while longing for the rest. I would love to see this series released completely on DVD. Chronological or not, as long as ALL episodes are made available, I'll be a happy camper.

Bottom line: Broadcast order is not an issue with anthology series.

Al Padrino 04-20-03 04:15 PM

I was waiting for someone to say that and I'd have to agree with you somewhat, as chronological order for a series like the TZ isn't really as needed as something like Star Trek or whatever. It's just that when you see a bunch of episodes slapped onto a DVD in no particular order for no particular reason, it just cries laziness on the part of whoever made them. That's all. It isn't the end of the world that it's not in order, but surely it wouldn't hurt the discs at all if they were, would it?

jedidiah 04-20-03 04:50 PM

For what it's worth, I agree that chronological order doesn't matter for the Twilight Zone... I happily have all five of the Twilight Zone Collection sets, but that wasn't the OP's question.

Al Padrino 04-20-03 06:46 PM

After looking around, I'm probably just going to get the TZ collection sets, as they're at a price that I can live with and they're actual DVD's and not DVD-R's.

An additional question though- the 5 features discs that are in the Gold Set, are they also in the TZ collection sets? I notice that they're a few "non-volumes" in the sets and wondered if these are the 5 discs that are in the gold set, or something else entirely.

jedidiah 04-20-03 08:31 PM

Er, I'm not sure exactly what feature discs you're referring... I can tell you that the TZ collection sets are complete: all of the TZ episodes are there.

Al Padrino 04-20-03 08:33 PM

I believe that there are 5 "feature" disc contained in the Gold Collection. I was wondering what was contained on these discs. I also noticed that in some of the collection sets, there are discs that aren't part of the regular "volume" set and have different titles (More Treasures From the Twilight Zone, I believe). What's on these discs?

cinephiler2351 04-20-03 11:44 PM

Is there any more AND NOW MR. SERLING'S ON THERE DAMMIT???

SergeantPinback 04-21-03 07:48 AM

I've got a quick question.

Do the five box sets that are out now represent every episode of the series? So if I picked them up, I'd be done? I'm in the group that doesn't care about the order of the episodes.

Al Padrino 04-21-03 10:20 AM

I think all of them are on there, although I'm not sure if the one-hour ones are on there. Someone wanna verify that?

jedidiah 04-21-03 11:04 AM

All of them are on there, even the one hours. :)

adamblast 04-21-03 11:05 AM

Maybe I shouldn't butt in, since I'm probably not going to get the series myself, but there are plenty of good reasons to want to watch any series in its original order...

Even without story continuity there is creative-team continuity, not to mention that the Twilight Zone theme and format shifted quite a bit during the run... Shows from different eras will have a different "feel" to them...

Almost every series before the 80s was an "anthology" show in some ways -- or, at least, there was a conscious attempt to make every episode "standalone," and make the series watchable in any order. It wasn't until fairly recently that "story arcs" came along...

If I were to get TZ, I'd either have to get the Gold Edition, or use some online guide and print out the proper chronological order myself...

Either way, I'd be watching them in order, at least the first time through... And I wonder if I'd be satisfied with a set that ignored its own history...

Al Padrino 04-21-03 02:22 PM

Excellent point. Although each show didn't rely on the others at all, the format of the show changed quite a bit and there were some definite differences in quality in certain era's of the show.

Bill Geiger 04-21-03 02:45 PM

I found a place that is selling the entire collection... they say they have about 500 left... thing is, you HAVE TO BUY IT IN BULK. Going for about 259.00 a peice..when you order 25. Silly... but that is their business.

DVDProfessor 04-21-03 04:12 PM

I've never heard of the Gold collection. I just got the collections (1 & 3) and they are just the all ready released DVD's in slim cases

Bill Geiger 04-21-03 07:14 PM

All 156 episodes of Rod Serling's TV show "The Twilight Zone" are available in chronological order of airdate by season on 45 DVD's.

http://www.seenontvbargains.com/twil...ilightzone.jpg