Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

LOTR: The Two Towers Extended Edition details!! (merged)

Community
Search

LOTR: The Two Towers Extended Edition details!! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-03, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DVD Smurf
Thanks for the info, I am excited and I will be getting this, but who cares what I want.
Hopefully, New Line does.

I'll definitely be getting both. If there's a gift set, I'll buy that to get the EE. Call me crazy, but I really love these films and the DVD's.
Old 04-23-03, 01:57 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by tor_greg
they don't want to do the obvious: two towers...
Why on Earth not?!
Old 04-23-03, 04:23 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Dude, the gift set must include the Two Towers - screw obvious - wouldn't they be perfect?
Old 04-23-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm glad to hear we're getting an extended edition again (as if there was any doubt ), but how is this "details?" I expected to read about how many commentaries there will be and who is doing them, what extras we're getting, how many discs it will be, audio tracks, etc. We don't even have a more-or-less complete rundown of the additional scenes. IMHO, details are not available yet.
Old 04-23-03, 06:49 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
There aren't any details about the EE yet because they have only just begun working on it.

Remember, they're still making a feature film, making the two disc version of the theatrical cut (which looks pretty feature-laden itself) and then shooting/editing 5-6 hours (if the FOTR EE is an indicator) of original documentary footage and making-of material.

That's a LOT of work, even if different teams are working on the many aspects of these films' production.

It's enough to annoy me that Lucas hasn't put out the original Star Wars Trilogy in deluxe special editions yet. I mean, wasn't his excuse that he was too busy making the new movies? And Lucas has THREE YEARS between features - is Peter Jackson and his crew three times more talented than Lucas and ILM?

Don't answer that.

-- Jough
Old 04-23-03, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by jough
In good movies the characters have lives and experiences BEFORE the start of the film - in bad ones they just kinda materialize before you, perform whatever actions the plot requires, and cease to exist once the credits begin to roll.
Only in this case, we've seen the experiences leading up to the beginning of this film (TTT), and in the theatrical cut of FOTR we didn't see anybody getting magic cloaks and such. It is a little jarring to go from the theatrical cut of FOTR then right into TTT without the gift-giving scene.
Old 04-23-03, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by Giles
When compared to the book, P. Jackson shuffled the entire book around. Notably, the battle at Helm's Deep happened a quarter of the way into the book, not at the end. More than the last quarter of the book is the Frodo/Sam/Gollum storyline which is broken up within the movie.
What would really be great is if Jackson decided to reedit the whole picture to have the events play in the order that they do in the book. Placing the Helm's Deep battle at the end of the movie always seemed to me to be a way to end things on a big rousing action-heavy note. The pacing is all off when we keep shifting back and forth from Frodo/Sam/Gollum to Merry/Pippin to Helm's Deep. I'm not one to gripe about how faithful Jackson has remained to the books (I really don't care, actually, as long as the movie is good), but I thought TTT definitely suffered from this narrative shuffling. It would be cool to see it play out in the same order as the book. Something tells me that there's no way in hell that that's going to happen though.
Old 04-23-03, 07:14 PM
Suspended

Maybe this could be done with DVD chapters/programming if the chapters are sufficiently broken up.
Old 04-23-03, 07:32 PM
Suspended

I heard the gift set would include Gollum bookends. One has the left half of his head in innocent mode, or right side in murderous mode. I'm getting this baby as long as Gimli's elbow and cabbage sandwich line is put back in.
Old 04-23-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since New Line told PJ that RETURN OF THE KING can be as long as he needs..... does this mean no Extended Edition DVD for RotK?
Old 04-23-03, 08:09 PM
Suspended

Just read today that the first "rough cut" of ROTK is just over six hours long.

Provided they reign that in to five hours or so, that'll still never play theatrically - so even if they release a four-hour ROTK (with an intermission, hopefully) there could still be an hour or more of footage that is good but isn't *necessary* for the theatrical release.

-- Jough
Old 04-23-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe they can do Part 1 of the ROTK in 2 1/2 hours and the Part 2 of the ROTK in the rest of the movie.
Old 04-23-03, 10:35 PM

here's the image from the official site (lordoftherings.net) looks like it actually is red (yay) and has 4 discs (for now).
Old 04-24-03, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Oh red, pretty. Can't wait for the preorder madness to begin.
Old 04-24-03, 10:06 AM
Suspended

It'll be mine!

My own.

My... precious...
Old 04-24-03, 11:14 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by trigun
I heard the gift set would include Gollum bookends. One has the left half of his head in innocent mode, or right side in murderous mode. I'm getting this baby as long as Gimli's elbow and cabbage sandwich line is put back in.
While that would be cool, I would personally prefer the Two Towers as bookends...
Old 04-24-03, 11:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by jough
Just read today that the first "rough cut" of ROTK is just over six hours long.

Provided they reign that in to five hours or so, that'll still never play theatrically - so even if they release a four-hour ROTK (with an intermission, hopefully) there could still be an hour or more of footage that is good but isn't *necessary* for the theatrical release.

-- Jough
I noted this before, but that's insane - a six hour rough cut of ROTK. Even if Jackson has to cut the film done to a more manageable running time of three hours, what's going to happen to the remaining three hours of the movie? S*** that's a lot of footage.

In regards to "Fellowship" what was the original rough cut's clocking in at. Are there additional scenes that weren't included in the extended edition? Is there the rumour that Jackson will revisit all the movies after ROTK is released and do a deluxe edition of the Trilogy with even more footage?

Last edited by Giles; 04-24-03 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-24-03, 12:04 PM

If I recall, that's almost the exact same length as the rough cut of "Dune" - and that movie was almost completely unintelligible to those who hadn't read the books. Not that I think we'll have the same problem here.

[edit: I was corrected - Dune started out as 4 hours]

It's hard for me to imagine a general audience sitting in the theater for more than 3.5 hours. I'd stay for all six, myself. But I will settle for getting 5 hours on the EE DVD.

Last edited by weldon; 04-24-03 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-24-03, 01:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by weldon
If I recall, that's almost the exact same length as the rough cut of "Dune" - and that movie was almost completely unintelligible to those who hadn't read the books. Not that I think we'll have the same problem here.

BTW for all who don't know this fact, the much publicized rough cut running time of "Dune " was four hours in length.
Old 04-24-03, 04:14 PM
Suspended

The rough cut is just that - ROUGH. I don't know how many of you out there have ever edited film (or texts, for that matter) but it's MUCH easier to start with something bloated and then trim it down to size than it is to start out too short and have to add things back in.

That said, a six hour first cut of a film that's likely to be 3.5-4 hours long isn't really bad. Often rough cuts for movies will be twice as long as the finished feature. You cut ten seconds here, a short unnecessary scene there, you move this scene around and cut out a little more - this thing'll be down to a cool 103 minutes in no time.
Old 05-01-03, 05:51 PM

Not to be a stickler, but the official site says it's 35, not 42 extra minutes of footage.
Old 05-01-03, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, PJ said 43 minutes. I'm more inclined to trust the director than a website.
Old 05-01-03, 11:26 PM
Suspended

It could change between now and the release. Figure it'll be at least a half an hour, and less than 45 minutes.

That's fine by me!

-- Jough
Old 06-22-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVDfile has the official specs up
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...003/06_22.html

Leading off this week's news are more details on what is sure to be one of the biggest DVD releases of the year, if not the biggest, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Extended Edition. Replicating the same release pattern as The Fellowship of the Ring last year (if it ain't broke, don't fix it), New Line Home Entertainment will release the theatrical cut as a two-disc set in August, followed by this four-disc behemoth on November 18th.

In addition to a newly-expanded cut of the film featuring over 40 minutes of new material, the extras are vast. The feature is spread over the first two discs, with four audio commentaries by director Peter Jackson and the writers, the second with the design team, the third with the production team and the four with the cast. The feature is presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen with Dolby Digital Surround EX and DTS 6.1 ES Discrete soundtracks.

Disc three features The Appendices: Adapting the book into a screenplay and planning the film, the design and inspiration for locations in Middle-earth storyboards to pre-visualization, a Weta Workshop visit to see the sculptors in action as they create the weapons, armor, creatures and miniatures from the film, an "Atlas of Middle-Earth," an additional interactive map of New Zealand highlighting the location scouting process, multiple featurettes including "Sending Actors to Battle" (preparation for sword fighting), "Post-Production" (editing it all together) and "Principal Photography" (stories from the set), a look at the digital effects including motion capture and "Massive" (a program to create armies of Orcs), additional "Bigatures" (a close-up look at the detailed miniatures used in the film), a sound design demonstration, still galleries of art and slideshows with commentaries by the artists plus additional behind-the-scenes photographs and personal cast photos. Also included are extensive ROM extras to be announced. Retail is $39.95.

Last but not least, New Line will also release a special Gift Set of the Extended Edition, which also streets on November 18th. Expect the same great extras above plus a Collectible Gollum polystone statue created by Sideshow Weta, "The Evolution of Gollum" exclusive documentary on the Weta Workshop and how the Gollum statue was created, a printed companion piece showing how Gollum evolved from pencil sketch to sculpted maquette to digital character, and collectible packaging. Retail is $69.95
Old 06-23-03, 11:18 AM

So, in the Gift Set, there's basically going to be a feature on the making of the Gollum statue and something written about his evolution to a digital character.

Won't there be any DVD feature on Gollum and Andy Serkis? I'd love to see how all of that came together. They showed footage of Serkis acting out Gollum's parts in clips at either the Golden Globes or the Oscars (can't remember). Seems like it should be an essential part of the DVD.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.