Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

does anyone want free dvd cases? amaray ? double cases ?

Old 04-09-03, 09:56 AM
Bru

I dont know if this has been talked about but.....

has anyone ever searched blockbuster dumpsters ?

I will say its the cleanest dumpster you will search! no food just paper and cases. lol

someone told me they throw away perfectly good new condition amaray and other types of cases. sure enough I went to my local blockbuster and I found 3 big bags of cases.

this is what I came up with:

about 350 cases I would say half amaray and half another type that has a nice lock hub as good as amaray. about 50 amaray double dvd cases (looks like they were for minority report as they still had the insert) 10-20 white cases, 10 ps2 cases.

I feel like a dummy as i spent $30 last week on cases, half the price of which was shipping. what a rip.

if i knew about this I would have gladly done it, granted I dont care for dumpster searching and my first time doing it. but id do it again although I dont think i will ever have too as 350 will take me a long way.

they were all in new condition and I didnt get one broken one. i feel lucky and feel like I struck gold.

call me a trash picker but what a find!!!!!!

Old 04-09-03, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have an abundance of cases but I do need double amarays. Not that you need any more, but I'd be happy to do a 2:1 for the double amarays. Did you happen to get any Blue Crush or Trapped chapter listings?
Old 04-09-03, 02:29 PM
Bru

Mike,

sorry...... keeping the doubles. always need those as I make home movie dvd's. your right, got so many dont need singles. wish I could do you a favor but I know I will go through them. already used 8 of them.

didnt get blue crush or trapped. found sweet home alabama ? and minority report and one other I cant remember. i will check. if you need them you can have them.

what I will do though is go back everynight and check and whatever I find Id be happy to give you a cut for free, just pay shipping. email me to remind me and I will keep you posted on what I find in the coming weeks.

Old 04-09-03, 02:53 PM

Thanks Bru, I'll keep you in mind. I'd be happy to give you a little compensation for your trouble in addition to shipping. Don't need any singles, just doubles and maybe a few whites. Meanwhile I may just do a little dumpster diving of my own. BTW, I have chapter listings for the Crocodile Hunter, the Ring, Bourne Identity, and a couple others if you should need any.
Old 04-09-03, 02:58 PM
Bru

ok....i will look for doubles and whites. i got like 15 whites but used them on my steven seagal set and star trek set. will let you know what I find.

dont need those , but thanks.

dumpster diving....even the name is funny. lol

Old 04-10-03, 12:14 PM
Cool New Member

so, do you sneak in all covert late at night and raid the dumpsters? the blockbusters by me both have the dumpsters in the parking lot in front of the store which sucks. it might seem weird to see some guy rummaging through in my case. hmm.
Old 04-10-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going to check with a friend of mine who is a manager at Blockbuster tonight if he can hook me up with some cases(though I doubt it, last time I checked they kept everything original on the shelf).
If I can't get any from him, I'd be interested in getting some cases from you(and those PS2 cases as well). I would also throw in a "finders fee" with shipping. My e-mail is [email protected] if you're up for that.
Old 04-10-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What is the normal day most retail chains receive new releases? I thought I remember someone mentioning Thursday or Friday. Then they put them out on Tuesday for the customers to buy. I'm just wondering if there is a particular day that would be best to check the dumpsters. Maybe there is a system to this.
Old 04-12-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bru, did you see any digipak type cases (such as Fight Club, Se7en, Sopranos box sets)? I have a broken hub on one (as you see in my thread about this), and Im wondering where I could replace this panel without having to do something crazy like sell my set on Ebay just to buy another one.