Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Why no Soylent Green, Omega Man or Master of the World DVD discs?

Old 04-06-03, 11:17 PM
Rest in Peace

I have been waiting for these great sci-fi films, they have released Mysterious Island (Jules Verne) and soon 20,000 Leagues, how about Master of the World AKA Robur the Conqeror starring Vincent Price and Chares Bronson.

The Omega Man stars Charleton Heston and Anthony Zerbe last seen as Admiral Doherty on Star Trek: Insurrection.

Soylent Green is good as it gets for book Silent Spring by Rachael Carson, the one that made the world look at itself and what's it's doing for example 'polution'. Soylent Green Stars Charleton Heston (thorn), Edward J. Robinson (police Book), Chuck Conners, the 'furniture' wasn't hard to take as she was really pretty.

In Action Adventure how about "Battle of the the Bulge" starring Robert Shaw, Henry Fonda, Robert Ryan, Telly Savalas and Dana Andrews. I have it on Vhs with Dolby Surround, but I would rather have it OAR and the Dolby Surround on DVD disc. I would buy that in a second along with "Where Eagles Dare" Great World War 2 thriller starring Richard Burton, Clint Eastwood, Anton Differing, Mary Ure and others in a second. "Operation Daybreak" a film with George Peppard and Sophia Loren.

"Executive Action" movie about JFK filmed in 1973 about how it could have been done everything was supported by evidence. Nearly 2 decades before Oliver Stones JFK, before "Image of Assassination". EA stars Robert Ryan, Burt Lancastor, Will Geer, (the Waltons), Ed Lauter of film (Breakheart Pass) and other known acters. They include the color Zapruder film in with 'their' version as they place different actors in the bullet proof lincoln and modify the zapruder film for realism. Cash in my hands and a big smile on my face.

How about some feedback and or release news including any other region than 1.

Last edited by danol; 04-07-03 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-07-03, 07:21 AM
Suspended

I remember reading rumors about Omega Man and Soylent Green seeing a release in late September of this year but there has been nothing official on these as far as I know.
Old 04-07-03, 11:34 AM

Hollywood Bitchslap.com has the following listed in their upcoming release section:

September 30
Hunger, The (Special Edition) (Warner Bros.)
Omega Man, The (Special Edition) (Warner Bros.)
Soylent Green (Special Edition) (Warner Bros.)

No other information is provided as to what the special features will be.
Old 04-07-03, 11:59 AM
Rest in Peace

tonydvd and others

For all the stupid titles they have released years ago to today like the killer clowns or killer Tomatoes. You would think besides Mysterious Island and 20,000 Leaugues Under the Sea that they would release more of Jules Verne work and other classic Sci-Fi movies. Just about everyone I know likes some form of Sci-Fi.

On another forum about 1 year ago I started a hot discussion about about 70 or more replies and lurks were in the 'thousands' on subject of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. It seemed a lot of the DVD owners/buyers wanted it as much as I did and would buy it immediate upon its release and we would review it to get thousands more to buy it that's why such a big out going for a big remastering in video and sound for a 1954 release IMHO.

I have read that studio moguls assistants *do* read Home Theater forums, it was in 1 of the issues of the 3 Home Theater mags I am subscribed to, but it took more than a year after that heated discussion to get the 2.55:1, 5.1 Dolby Surround DVD out for May 20th with all the trimmings of True OAR 2.55:1 CinemaScope and Dolby Surround sound. 2nd disc was with all the extras the commentary the clips and all that jazz to really have a knockout film.
This happened because of that heated discussion and one or more of the assistants or the moguls themselves reading. Watching the amount of responses and umpteen thousands of lurkers IMHO. This may be a HT board on one of the dozens but it is a open advertisement for DVD releasing studios to see what is going over in a big way. Unlike the Joe six packs *we* are the cream of buyers of of the DVD Wide Screen format!

DVD talk forum is a friendly get together which is moderated. They know we are cool not just in the term used. We're using our brainpower with no deep seated anger behind our answers.

HT buyers are the biggest amount who buy Wide Screen DVDs, it's important that they know what we will buy it in quanity if they go and remaster it. Hell they are releasing Tyrone Power 1941 Mark Of Zorro in October & "Laura" 1944 in November of this year, I got this inforation from the adv. I got with "The Day The Earth Stood Still" Wide Screen.

Last edited by danol; 04-07-03 at 12:15 PM.
Old 04-07-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

good things come to those who wait. Soylent and Omega will be here soon enough as well as many other classics. I think they are doing a great job of getting my favs out...and there is plenty for me to buy until then. cant wait for It Came From Beneath The Sea!!!!!! it's going to be a great year!

...and I can always use more Harryhausen!
Old 04-07-03, 02:01 PM
Rest in Peace

gutwrencher and all

I am happy for you that at least you are satsified with the current listing of DVD titles. I talked with one of DVD talk members, I mentioned that at one time I had a collection of over 1,200 discs, Some newbie wanted an instant collection so I sold 700 discs to him for more than I paid for them, this was when Blue laser rumors were flying rampant.

I am *not* lacking for money believe that, I just seen a opportunity that I could't resist getting all of my money plus shipping back before the red laser discs would all go down in value and I would lose my shirt with all others trying to go HD-DVD blue/violet lasered disks trying to unload their red lasered discs at the same time. I have seen for my own eyes how some the DVD exhange buyers go after whom they think are out and out newbies, which I am 'not'. I trashed my over 50 titles up for trade yesterday I'll just them back in the Sauder cabinets. I will find another newbie that wants an instant collecton so I don't loose my good titles to some titles that are worth a lot less just to trade.

I don't need to lose the money I gained from that instant collection I sold. I want the clasics of Sci-Fi no matter what region they will release in, If hollywood doesn't release just watch american dollars flow out to other regions 2 or 4 english speaking that do have it like Raise The Titanic, The Final Countdown, The Wraith, Jaws 3, Amityville 3 or whatever. If they release the classics I'll buy them instead of feeling lousy by waiting endlessly for Region 1 or viewing the moves on crappy 480i Vhs!

They are out there I had mentioned on one of the formums how many and what genres they consisted of, one guy had to have it all at one time. I am not that foolish to turn down that much money for a lot of titles I didn't watch much at all. The 50+ titles and 4 new that I have and 49 of movies I hardly ever watch like Se7en you know the ending!

Some movies that I know the ending I still watch hundreds or thousands of times like THEM or Soylent Green they are the titles I would never trade. I would buy a better copy then trade the lower like Stargate the 1st two that came out were LBX the Ultimate Editon was an anamorphic 2 disc set. I have the 3 movie I listed for this subject but they are on Vhs and *all* that know HDTV, you can only stretch a pan and scan vhs and only line double it to to 480i. 240 S.P. x 2 or 480 is all that you can ever expect.

OK I have seen the rumor from Erik on Bitch slap.com but not a thing on "Jules Vernes "Master of the World" starring Vincent Price and Charles Bronson.
Spoiler:
Master is simular to 20,000 Leagues...Captain 'Nemo' (No One from latin) could destroy weapons of war from the 'air'. Using a giant airship with propellers fore and aft and dozens on top with a precision bomb release. Robur destroyed all that could be destroyed until Charles Bronsons character blew up some of the black powder, which started a fire that Robur couldn't put out and the air ship crashed into the sea.

Last edited by danol; 04-07-03 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-07-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm waiting for the sequel, Solyent White!

Spoiler:
Solyent White is made out of people, ITS PEOPLE!!!
They said they would change the formula but they lied, ITS PEOPLE!!! - Phil Hartman.

Doug (added spoiler tags for the 3 people that wouldn't get the joke)

Last edited by Doug Schiller; 04-09-03 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-07-03, 05:33 PM
Rest in Peace

Doug Schiller

Doug in trying to to be humerous you have just spoiled a good film that younger folks would not have known. I use spoiler tags if you think I erred 'think' the film was set in a hot, arrid, and dry New York City, which is not the case since NYC is a island.

Next time please use spolier tags for all the youngsters
Spoiler:
To not know the secret ingredient only shown towards the end of the movie, that the Soylent food factory was making their popular green wafers out of poisoned people. Wrapped in disposable or recycled cloth and loaded in garbage wagons. After seeing their favorite color, streams, forests, and cattle which thorn 'seen after' threatening the life of one of the nasty employees (Dick Van Patton) who wouldn't let 'thorn' see what wasn't available except for the rich. Remember the empty spoon the lady eating strawberry jelly from, the book smiled then started to cry. He decided to go 'home' after realizing what man had done to spoil the atmosphere and create the greenhouse effect. What was in the book "Silent Spring" by Rachael Carson!

IMHO Doug you spoiled the film for the young members here, that never seen the classic film not I.

BTW I heard the sequel was to be called Soylent Purple, but that never made it pass the writing stages.
Old 04-07-03, 10:05 PM
Rest in Peace

Bump
Old 04-08-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At one time Soylent Green and Omega Man were both scheduled for a bare bones release. Some sites had it as a pre order. Thankfully they pulled it and waited to create SE's for both. It's worth the wait IMHO. I don't believe the 9/30/03 date for release, but I'd be glad if it was true.
Old 04-08-03, 04:12 PM
Rest in Peace

renaldow and all

Yes but I am *not* getting any feedback on Master of the World, Where Eagles Dare, The Battle of the Bulge, Operation Daybreak all great movies only no feedback.
Old 04-14-03, 09:02 AM

Well, here are the covers for the long-awaited upcoming Soylent Green and The Omega Man DVDs (coming August 5th!):

(courtesy DavisDVD)
Old 04-14-03, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks for those covers. i saw on dvdfile.com this morning that these were being released (finally!). i think those covers look pretty cool, especially the soylent green one.
Old 04-14-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yikes! Major spoiler on the "Soylent Green" cover!
Old 04-14-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Omega Man!
Old 04-14-03, 10:59 AM
Rest in Peace

Great Looking Posters Thanks

Oh Boy my 2 favorite movies coming on DVD disc woo hoo.
Old 04-14-03, 11:05 AM

Does anyone heard anything about the features of Soylent Green. Are these horror fave's barebones? I've been waiting an age for this too! Can't believe it's finally around the corner
Old 04-15-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by milkdog
Yikes! Major spoiler on the "Soylent Green" cover!
What would that be? Text saying people want/need Soylent Green, and the trucks clearing rioters away from the SG distribution point. Basically a pic from a 5 minute scene of the movie when Heston is working a riot. No spoilers there. Nothing stating what SG is.

Not at all like the art for the original Planet of the Apes that shows the Statue of Liberty at the end....
Old 04-15-03, 05:44 PM
Rest in Peace

renaldow and others

I put this tread on trying to get both of the good movies with Charleton Heston to be on disc. I have a spoiler on for those who have seen it and my interpretation of what the story is about.

Spoiler:
Soylent Green was not about the food that they made out of dead people, it was that that the ocean was dying! The plankton of the ocean is the 'Major' supplier of oxygen on planet earth, couldn't being made in quanity. Farming seen was that of air that wasn't poluted. 'Sol' went home because of the realization of the totally out of control world where polution ran ramppant, Sol like most suicides ran out of hope that there was no way out but going 'home' to die. Remember it was Sol who took the books found, to the council for the damning *proof* that the planet earth was doomed to die an agonizing death that in Sol's eyes was *not* reversable (brilliantly played by Edward
J. Robinson as Sol, detective Thorns right had man or book).

Soylent Greens *home* was a center to be poisoned while seeing what 'all' of what they *had* before poluting the earth the way they did. The fictionalized part of the film was about what the Soylent Food Corporation did to make food out of people and what led them to it. The film makers needed a story to not become a documentery of what the polution would do if the earth didn't wize up to get rid of what was causing the decline.

The story was based on 'Silent Spring' by Rachael Carson who tried her best to wake up the world to what was a one way ticket to the people, animals, and plants, leading the earth to it's own *doom* without having a nuclear war do it for them!

I don't believe it was right to put the 'scoops' on the front cover art, especially for the younger members who have never seen the film and what the *whole* thing was about.
Old 04-15-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd *love* to have Charlton do a commentary for Soylent Green and The Omega Man. I think he's gone 'round the bend a little with his NRA mouthpiece bit but I think he was an underrated actor in his time and, as an actor, I have a lot of respect for him. I think it would also be a nice way to close out his career, since he may not be socially functional for very much longer (Parkinson's?).
Old 04-15-03, 09:36 PM
Rest in Peace

Jesse

If Heston has the disease named after the british surgeon Sir James Parkinson, I don't think his commentary would be top notch; as the man he was. For Parkinsons has trembling fingers, and speech there is a heavy loss in brain cells also.

I referenced 3rd edition of "Prescription to Nutritinal Healing" By Dr. James F. Balch, Phyliis A. Balch CNC on Pages 558 & 559.

Last edited by danol; 04-15-03 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-16-03, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, but Parkinson's is a progressive disease. I'm not sure how far Chuck is, but when he announced he had it, he seemed to have all his marbles and spoke well. Speaking of his voice, I still need to get his bible story dvds.

But seriously, while I would love to have Heston commentaries on these, I just hope he's doin' okay. Not even touching the political aspect of his character, I just really admire the guy. He made a lot of my favorite movies and has always had a great integrity.

AND I CAN'T WAIT FOR THESE MOVIES TO COME TO DVD!!
Old 04-16-03, 09:28 AM

Charlton Heston has Alzheimer's symptoms, not Parkinson's.
August 9, 2002
LOS ANGELES, California -- Charlton Heston said Friday that his doctors have told him he is "suffering symptoms consistent with Alzheimer's disease."

The actor and political activist said he is "neither giving up nor giving in" and will continue to work as long as he can.

Heston has played leading roles in more than 60 movies, and is perhaps best known as the hero of the biblical films, "Ben-Hur" -- for which he won an Oscar for best actor -- and "The Ten Commandments."

"For an actor, there is no greater loss than the loss of his audience," Heston said in his statement, which was videotaped Wednesday and played for reporters Friday. "I can part the Red Sea, but I can't part with you, which is why I won't exclude you from this stage in my life.

"For now, I'm not changing anything. I'll insist on work when I can; the doctors will insist on rest when I must.

"If you see a little less spring to my step, if your name fails to leap to my lips, you'll know why. And if I tell you a funny story for the second time, please laugh anyway."
Old 04-16-03, 09:34 AM

Continuing in nitpicker mode:

danol - Soylent Green was based on Harry Harrison's 1966 science fiction novel Make Room! Make Room! (which was probably inspired by the writings of Rachel Carson and others).

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-16-03 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-16-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Dimension X
Heston has Alzheimer's symptoms, not Parkinson's.
Sweet. That would make for an even more entertaining commentary!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.