Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Hollow Man Deleted Scenes

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Hollow Man Deleted Scenes

Old 04-09-01, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the two separate threads, but nobody was answering so I figured my format was off. I would like a description and review of the Hollow Man deleted scenes. Are they good, do they make the disc worth a purchase? Let me know, please.

Old 04-10-01, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry, I can't help you with the Hollow Man deleted scenes, I don't have the DVD, though you can delete your earlier post by clicking the little edit icon and checking the delete this post box near the top of the post. Sorry I couldn't help with your question though and welcome to the forum.

Dan
Old 04-10-01, 06:01 AM

I think the disc is worth buying, but if your looking for deleted scenes, hollow man has very few. From the cover it says 3 deleted scenes with commentary.

but if your looking for other bonus material, the dvd does have quite a bit. the dvd has:
the hbo making of: anatomy of a thriller
and
15 behind the scenes featurettes

Both are worth watching. It also says it has vfx picture in picture comparisons. If I remember correctly, this was pretty cool. you get to watch scenes with and without the special effects.

I have not listened to the commentary tracks, but it has the director, kevin bacon, and the writer. Sounds interesting.

I think it has another track with music score and goldsmith commentary, but that sounds pretty boring to me...

the dvd also has a bunch of other things: weblinks, trailers, talent files, production notes.

Old 04-10-01, 11:22 AM

spoilers...........

The deleted scenes are as follows: 1)In the film you see Kevin Bacon kill the dog in the cage, in the deleted scene the lab tech finds the bashed animal(in the film you she only tells the others about the killing). 2)There is a extended scene in the bedroom with Elizebeth Shue, and a small chase after(this is really nothing much to speak of). 3) When Bacon rapes the girl, the deleted scene is longer and more violent(the deleted scene is rather spoiled due to it being cut back and forth between the deleted scene and a interview with Paul Verhoeven. All in all the scenes are worth seeing, as far as buying it depends on how much you liked the film.
Old 04-10-01, 01:20 PM

thanks everybody

Thanks for your replies. I thought the Bacon killing the dog was unecessary (We already knew he was a bad guy, let's move on), and I thought it ruined an otherwise guilty pleasure of a film. Thanks for the responses.
Old 04-11-01, 01:30 PM

This is off-topic, but does anyone else think the HOLLOW MAN filmmakers got ripped off when GLADIATOR won the Best Visual Effects Oscar? Let's be honest, HOLLOW MAN kind of sucked from a cinematic/storytelling perspective, but those effects were unbelievable. GLADIATOR? A fake-looking bird's eye view of Rome and the Colosseum, big whoop-dee-do.
Old 04-13-01, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The amount of effects that went into gladiator were enormous

There were a few crappy bits but on the whole the effects were good. Have a read of this article for gladiator ( and the other films too )

http://www.vfxpro.com/article/mainv/...,26464,00.html

I was actually surprised Perfect Storm didnt win the oscar, creating digital water is one of the hardest things to accomplish in Special FX.

Maybe because that film sucked too it didnt win
Old 04-27-01, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hollow Man's effect team was indeed robbed... terrific effects.

http://www.jaxfilmjournal.com/hollowman.html
Old 12-28-01, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by StrickNet
This is off-topic, but does anyone else think the HOLLOW MAN filmmakers got ripped off when GLADIATOR won the Best Visual Effects Oscar? Let's be honest, HOLLOW MAN kind of sucked from a cinematic/storytelling perspective, but those effects were unbelievable. GLADIATOR? A fake-looking bird's eye view of Rome and the Colosseum, big whoop-dee-do.
I guess that would violate one of the Academy's unwritten rules that "directed by Paul Verhoeven" shall never be uttered after the phrase "and the oscar goes to...."

Last edited by Jack Straw; 12-28-01 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-29-01, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too liked this movie and disc a lot.
Old 01-07-02, 02:49 PM

Great DVD for the money

I think that the movie was overall very good, given it's dive into the waters of the "Invisble Man" movies. It offers a new plot and adds some of that government secret feel to it. The DVD is well compiled, with excellent deleted scenes and special featurettes. For 10 bucks, why not?
Old 01-09-02, 09:22 AM

Received 112 Likes on 91 Posts
Great disc for the money ($14.99 most places).
Old 01-12-02, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Deleted scenes...

Pagemaster7 describes them pretty well and that about sums 'em up. They are pretty cool, with TONS of other extras. I picked this up for $7.99 at Blockbuster ($9.99 w/$2 off sale), and it was DEFINITELY worth it. Could have been better, but the concept and special effects are amazing. Plus Kevin Bacon is so good at being bad...
Old 01-15-02, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

By the disc!

Actually, get it from CH as a committment! You can't go wrong!