Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Movie and DVD Review wanted: The Night Visitor

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Movie and DVD Review wanted: The Night Visitor

Old 03-31-01, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just watched the previews on VCI's disc of Mario Bava's Kill, Baby,...Kill and there was a preview for a movie that looked rather interesting called The Night Visitor(1970). Anyone seen it? It has Liv Ullman and Max Von Sydow in it. What's it like? Similar to anything else.

Anyone have the dvd? How is it?
Thanks for any replies.
Old 04-01-01, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...for a review of the movie, go here:

http://apolloguide.com/mov_fullrev.asp?cid=2191

. . .
Old 04-02-01, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Hendrik
...for a review of the movie, go here:

http://apolloguide.com/mov_fullrev.asp?cid=2191

. . .
Are you saying this is a review you agree with, or did you just feel like posting a random review? I could search for random reviews too, but I wanted the opinion of some dvdtalkers and to inquire what the dvd was like. That is what this forum is for. I don't mind when people post external reivews saying that they agree with this point of view or whatever, but posting random reviews and not even indicating if you've even seen the movie seems condescending in a "here's a review since you asked for one" kind of way.
Old 04-02-01, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Anyone seen it?"
...apparently nobody did, or someone would have come along to tell you...

"What's it like? Similar to anything else."
...that's what the review tells you, in other words, 'you asked for it and I gave it to you'!...

"Are you saying this is a review you agree with, or did you just feel like posting a random review? I could search for random reviews too, but I wanted the opinion of some dvdtalkers and to inquire what the dvd was like. That is what this forum is for...yadda yadda yadda etc...."
...remind me to never react to any question you pose on this Forum, ever again, under any circumstances, for fear that I might hurt your obviously very tender sensibilities...

(signed) Yours condescendingly, etcetera...

(and, no! you do not merit a smiley from me --- I can be every bit as crotchety as you, young fella!)

[Edited by Hendrik on 04-02-01 at 04:21 AM]
Old 04-02-01, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

speaking of "tender sensibilites" that's quite an over-reaction. I wasn't attacking you for posting a link. Actually it's just that I have noticed that you post links to random reviews in this forum quite a bit without ever making comments. I don't understand why you do this so I asked you about it when you did it to me, when I asked for a review. It always seemed to me that you did it to be a smartass, and I was just basically asking you if that is what it was. I assure you that I am not offended by it and don't have the "tender sensibilities" that you think I do.
The reason I assumed you do this to be a smartass is because I think I have seen you post, "here's a review..." with a post and a " " in the past. So if you don't do that to be a smartass, then my apologies, I missread you. Otherwise, do you just like to look up reviews for other people? If that's the case, why hey, thanks for the effort. Personally, I don't like reading reviews from external sources that I am unfamiliar with because many of them tend to be spoiler-laiden. I started reading the review you posted but stopped as soon as they started divulging plot. I don't like plots told to me even if it is only the first half of the movie (because then you have to wait an hour to be told something you didn't already know about the story). I more prefer reviews that make comparisons to other films that might make references to other things I may have seen. That's why I asked for a review here. Sorry you mistook my post for something hostile, I didn't mean to upset you. While I would not like for you to purposely refrain from commenting on anything I post in these forums in the future, I certainly can't force you to. I appreciate all opinions I get here whether I agree with them or not.

(signed) Yours condescendingly, etcetera...

(and, no! you do not merit a smiley from me --- I can be every bit as crotchety as you, young fella!)
Be as crotchety as you like. I ask for smileys from no one. I never really understood why posting a smiley after being mean or rude is supposed to be any different. If people really need that kind of assurance when someone they don't even know is being uncivil (I am not implying that I am not from time to time) to them on the internet, perhaps they should not be interacting with strangers on the internet.

[Edited by garmonbozia on 04-02-01 at 04:45 AM]
Old 04-02-01, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...what really matters is what you like not what you are like. Books, records, films--These things matter. Call me shallow. It's the f***ing truth.

Books:
...some favorite authors – in no particular order of preference...
· Jorge Luis Borges
· Stanislaw Lem
· V.S. Naipaul
· Walker Percy
· Ludwig Bemelmans
· Greg Bear
· John Brunner
· John Le Carré
· Kobo Abé
· Kingsley Amis

Records:
...some favorite composers & musicians – in no particular order of preference...
· Shostakovich: the Symphonies
· Shostakovich: the String Quartets
· almost any recording by Glenn Gould
· Ravel: the Works for Orchestra
· almost anything by Igor Stravinsky
and in a somewhat lighter vein:
· Peggy Lee
· Ella Fitzgerald
· Duke Ellington
· Count Basie
· Stan Kenton

Films:
...some favorite films – in no particular order of preference...
· The Magnificent Ambersons
· Gone With The Wind
· Les Enfants du Paradis
· M Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder
· Cool Hand Luke
· Tales From The Gimli Hospital
· Secret Adventures Of Tom Thumb
· The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari
· Happy Together
· Meet Me In St. Louis

. . .

"All rights reserved in all media throughout the universe in perpetuity, unless otherwise specified by law, human or alien." (Alex Cox - from the DVD "Three Businessmen")

[Edited by Hendrik on 04-02-01 at 08:03 AM]