Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Dancer in the Dark - Worst directing ever?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Dancer in the Dark - Worst directing ever?

Old 04-02-01, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone seen the regionless version of THE IDIOTS that scarecrow has for sale?

http://www.scarecrow.com/News/titles/title_00174.htm

If so, can you comment briefly on the transfer quality? Is it the uncensored version?
Old 07-12-01, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Richard Malloy
I've been back and forth about the (really expensive) Kingdom discs, but I was under the impression that a region 1 release was just a matter of time. After all, I see Kingdom I on VHS in every Blockbuster/Hollywood video in my area, and I bet it's the biggest von Trier rental going.

But if there's little chance of a region 1 release (in the near future or at all), I'd be more willing to cough up the bucks. I've never even seen Kingdom II.

I can be patient and wait for a region 1, but I'd be truly disappointed if I missed out altogether. Any suggestions? Can anyone vouch for the quality of these DVDs?
The Kingdom:
- 1 flipper disc
- Pan & Scan because it's a TV movie
- Region 0, looks to be HK in manufacture
- Audio & Video are TV quality, as it's a TV movie
- Average price $50
I just bought both the Kingdom and Kingdom II discs, and I just wanted to let people know that the prices for The Kingdom on eBay are relatively low right now. I got The Kingdom for $27. Prices for Kingdom 2 are still about $100 so I just got it from Scarecrow along with the Twin Peaks pilot import from Taiwan.
Old 07-13-01, 02:53 PM
Sem

I got e-mail from Blackstar saying that KingdomR2 was delayed indefinitely. Which edition did you get?
Old 07-13-01, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

***Possible spoiler***

Most have already been said, so I will keep this short. Dancer in the Dark provides a reality feel to it with the choice of camera movement that made me feel what the director intended me to feel, real. However, the musical segments caught me by suprise and I had to watch the film again in order to get a better feel of what was going on. Here too does von Trier suggest a dreamy state of mind by enhancing the colors for someone who is getting blind (where the title is from too.) Yes, I agree that his way of directing might make you feel wierd or even dizzy, however, it is his creativity to bring out feelings and thoughts that makes him a great director. He is studied in film schools, and he will be more indepth researched in the future. My first reaction the film was, I hate this piece of crap. However, I had to watch it again due to the mind-trapping that the film gave me, and now I would say it is a film you really have to keep all your senses on alert and your mind thinking ahead and try to realate to main character. As well as, thinking of various moral issues. Good luck, if you see it again.
Old 07-14-01, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Sem
I got e-mail from Blackstar saying that KingdomR2 was delayed indefinitely. Which edition did you get?
Scarecrow Video and the Ebayers are selling an Asian release DVD. I believe it is Japanese manufactured for a Chinese speaking market. It's region 0.
Old 07-21-01, 09:19 AM

I got The Kingdom on VHS from Amazon some time ago.

Looks like there will be a VHS re-release August 21/01 for $9.98?
English Subtitles.
You can pre-order now.
Old 07-25-01, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

okay....I just heard this on the radio the other morning....
apparently Stephen King is preparing to script (and/or work on in other various ways) his first tv series.....
the only description that the djs had was that the show was going to be about a hospital that was built on an old burial ground and the show was going to be called THE KINGDOM.
WTF?
WHY!!!???
for some reason this makes me either angry or sad...I haven't decided which. I guess I'll decide if it ever materializes. This is the worst tv remake news I've heard since Roseanne bought the rights to do a US remake of AB FAB (which thankfully never happened).
Old 07-26-01, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's just sad. Very sad.

But if it's as ridiculous as his miniseries of The Shining, it might be good for a few chuckles.
Old 07-26-01, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Richard Malloy
That's just sad. Very sad.

I'm glad someone else feels my pain.
Thinking about it, I shouldn't have posted this in this thread since it is a result of something that has gone so far off topic....
I'm going to repost it in the movie or tv forum...I'm sot sure which one it really belongs in.......