Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Unbreakable coming in June-Anyone see it in the theater? And what'd you think.

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Unbreakable coming in June-Anyone see it in the theater? And what'd you think.

Old 03-07-01, 08:09 AM
Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really wanted to see this but missed it....what'd you think?

Title: Unbreakable
Street date: 2001-06-26
Number of discs: 2
Features: anamorphic, commentary, story featurette, effects featurette, production featurette, trailers
Genre: triller
Old 03-07-01, 11:10 AM

I liked it. I know alot of my friends did not, but I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. M Night directed it, knowing that fans would come into the film, with Sixth Sense weighing heavily on their minds. In that respect, he kind of pulled the rug out from under them, with the story line. I won't give anything away, but it's safe to say that everyone ends up overanalyzing it...and that's the whole inside joke of the film, and that's why I appreciated what he was doing. I'm planning on pre-ordering it.
Old 03-07-01, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

best movie of 2000 in my opinion. (superior to The Sixth Sense too if you ask me) it seems to be a love/hate film though so i'd probably recommend to rent it first because some absolutely love it and some absolutely hate it.
Old 03-07-01, 12:34 PM

Stinky!
Old 03-07-01, 12:48 PM

I enjoyed it a great deal. I do agree, though, that if you aren't sure, you should probably rent it first. You'll either love it or hate it, just like the people say.

But I'm definitely going to pick it up when it comes out.
Old 03-07-01, 06:27 PM

I like movies that make me think after watching them. unbreakable did that for me, so I will definitely pick this bad boy up!
Old 03-07-01, 09:10 PM

I saw Unbreakable in the theater, and thought it was awesome. As you may have already heard, Unbreakable is a generally quiet film (quieter than The Sixth Sense, probably), and Shyamalan really soars in the silence. In fact, the movie was so quietly affecting that I did think that mesmerizing feeling would be hard to recreate, when eventually viewed at home. So I recommend that this film be watched no earlier than 11 PM. Some movies are best viewed very late at night, and this is one of them.
Old 03-07-01, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Unbearable...

Unwatchable, Unrealsitic (When was the last time that you heard of everbody perishing in a train wreck?),

Unbelievable
Old 03-08-01, 06:57 AM
Max

Thanks guys!
From the little bit I know about it, and from what my friends and you guys have said I am sure to buy it now!
Sight unseen.......love those "thinking mans" movies...

Old 03-08-01, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Grizzly
best movie of 2000 in my opinion. (superior to The Sixth Sense too if you ask me) it seems to be a love/hate film though so i'd probably recommend to rent it first because some absolutely love it and some absolutely hate it.
I agree with you, Grizzly. I also think it was the best movie of the year (although it was, admittedly, a particularly weak year). I also agree that it is better than The Sixth Sense, which I liked a lot. It was the only time all year I left the theater thinking I had just seen a great movie. I sure hope Shyamalan follows through with his plans for a trilogy. I hope, after the modest but unspectacular success of the film, Disney lets him.
Old 03-09-01, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I double-double-double that. UNBREAKABLE was one of the best films of 2000. Must have DVD.
Old 03-09-01, 08:36 PM
Banned

Can 'comic books' sustain the lifelong expenses of one of the main characters for his whole life?

He has big expenses? I had a hard time taking that park seriously..

I did like the movie when I sat and watched it... the above question came much later.
Old 03-09-01, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Unbreakable was a really good movie that didn't get enough credit due to the comparisons to The Sixth Sense. I don't think it was the best film of 2000, but it is right up there.

Also, you know it's a good movie when they name a new genre after it.
Originally posted by Max
Genre: triller

[Edited by DVDjunkie21 on 03-09-01 at 06:56 PM]
Old 03-09-01, 08:53 PM

Saw it twice in the theater, I loved it! Better than ^th sense, and A movie you can enojy watching more than twice like the sixth sense. Total surprise story line, but I'll let you see for yourself. I cannot wait to get this, i am dying to see it again!
Old 03-09-01, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When you put expensive perfume on dog doo, it's still dog doo.
Old 03-10-01, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was told today that I may be solely responsible for any delays in the release of this DVD I keep bugging one of the editors with various things... Hmm, or they're looking for a scapegoat...
Old 03-11-01, 12:08 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I saw it opening night and liked it a lot. Several friends of mine were disappointed though. I will pick it up on DVD for sure. I can't wait to listen to the commentary!
Old 03-11-01, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed it at the theater, and am looking forward to seeing it again when it releases on DVD. I think my viewing of the film the first time was a little clouded by mental comparisons to Sixth Sense, which left me slightly disappointed with it (the Sixth Sense being a far better film). I think I will like it more the 2nd time around.
Old 03-11-01, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Look past the little memory flaw and you'll love it, like I did!
Old 03-13-01, 08:10 PM
Banned

Great movie, give it up T. Block
Old 03-13-01, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I won't be buying this one. It got made because the buzz surrounding Sixth Sense.

Although, it is a rather curious movie in the sense that is rather slow, and not hollywood like at all. But, where this might have been a strength with a stronger movie, story, or characters, this one just wallows in the time with little to show for it.

-Beebs
Old 03-15-01, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
good movie, i reccomend seeing before you buy but i will definetly be bying it...

Old 03-20-01, 01:29 PM
Cool New Member

It's OK. In my opinion, it's not as good as the sixth sense. Rent to see if it's worth spending the money.
Old 03-20-01, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have great admiration for this film, but I don't plan on buying the dvd as I don't feel a need to see the film again. I was greatly impressed with the direction in this film, and while I don't think Unbreakable is a better film than The Sixth Sense, M. Night displayed more talent. I am not at all a fan of comic books, but left the theater thinking that this must be a truly great epxerience for fans of comics. When I went to see the film, I had no idea what it was going to be about and was very curious about the text that appears before the film's start. I unfortuantely insticntively knew where the film was going, but still thouroughly enjoyed the denouement. More so did I enjoy the audience's mixed reactions. If you think you might be interested in this film, I suggest at least a rental.
Old 03-23-01, 06:31 PM

Add me to the list

I am gonna get it, agreed it was one of teh better movies from a weak year. As good as teh 6th Sence? no, but a very good movie in its own rights. What has not been mentioned so far, this was the second of a M. Night trilogy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.