Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover: Review Wanted

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover: Review Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-01, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this film any good? I heard it was very graphic.
Old 02-27-01, 12:17 AM
Banned

looks great and good ending but lonnnnng, boring, and tiresome. worth a watch once. i actually pre-ordered it for the cinematography/directing.
Old 02-27-01, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i disagree, i had to watch this movie three or four times before i could make any sense of it. that was back in my teenage years though and i had not been used to watching movies with harsh british accents so probably was concentrating more on the visual events than the dialogue. this movie has a lot of dialogue. by the fourth time i saw it, i was able to figure out everything that was being said and was EXTREMELY captivated. I really hope this release has english subtitles. I hope this looks as great on dvd as I imagine it should. If I remember correctly, many parts of the film were rather dark (or maybe I had a taped copy with macrovision, i really don't remember). Anyway, I am really excited about getting this and hope it arrives soon. I have not yet gotten a shipping notice from buy.com I am looking forward to seeing Tim Roth in this again. I find him quite amusing in most of his films.
Graphic? I guess kind of. It depends on what level of graphic you can handle and what you are used to. For me, it's not really.
Old 02-27-01, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Peter Greenaway is hit or miss. This is definitely a hit.
Old 02-27-01, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To me this film represents the worst of Peter Greenaway, who has made some undeniably unique and good films. You'd have to be fool not to recognize his artistic ability, but in this movie he puts it in the service of an unnecessarily nasty, tiresome, unfunny, graphic, self-indulgent excursion. I don't mind a film being unpleasant to watch if there is a point, and TCTTHWAHL seemed to me to have none at all.

Also, I could have done without seeing Helen Mirren naked.

Old 02-27-01, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's been a long time since I saw this, and barely remember anything except the ending. But I remember I thought the movie was incredibly stupid after seeing it. The only thing really graphic about it if I recall was the ending, which might have been shocking in the 50s or something, but I didn't think it was much to get excited about.
Old 02-27-01, 11:10 PM

I've never seen a Peter Greenaway movie I liked and this was no exception. He seems to have good ideas in the abstract, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. The only movie of his that comes close to realizing its potential was "Pillow Book" IMO.
Old 02-28-01, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A review for You!

Originally posted by garmonbozia
i disagree, i had to watch this movie three or four times before i could make any sense of it. that was back in my teenage years though and i had not been used to watching movies with harsh british accents so probably was concentrating more on the visual events than the dialogue. this movie has a lot of dialogue. by the fourth time i saw it, i was able to figure out everything that was being said and was EXTREMELY captivated. I really hope this release has english subtitles. I hope this looks as great on dvd as I imagine it should. If I remember correctly, many parts of the film were rather dark (or maybe I had a taped copy with macrovision, i really don't remember). Anyway, I am really excited about getting this and hope it arrives soon. I have not yet gotten a shipping notice from buy.com I am looking forward to seeing Tim Roth in this again. I find him quite amusing in most of his films.
Graphic? I guess kind of. It depends on what level of graphic you can handle and what you are used to. For me, it's not really.
Here's a review & a preview of the menus of the DVD Mister Lynchian Moniker! ENJOY! Or Else!!!!!
www.dvdmaniacs.net/Menus/cook.htm

www.dvdmaniacs.net/Reviews/A-D/cook_thief.htm

cheers, Tony Block

[Edited by Tony Block on 02-28-01 at 10:34 AM]
Old 03-01-01, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: A review for You!

Originally posted by Tony Block
Here's a review & a preview of the menus of the DVD Mister Lynchian Moniker! ENJOY! Or Else!!!!!

cheers, Tony Block

[Edited by Tony Block on 02-28-01 at 10:34 AM]
thanks for that. the menus look nice. i hope they are not silent. it's a shame that the only extras are trailers. a featurette or commentary would have been nice. i wonder when mine will show up from buy.com did the date get postponed or something?
Old 03-01-01, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: A review for You!

Originally posted by Tony Block

cheers, Tony Block
that was a nice review by the way. i just noticed that dvdpricesearch now lists the release date as 3/13. somehow this passed me by. damn it!