Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Stolen Kisses, Bride Wore Black

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Stolen Kisses, Bride Wore Black

Old 02-23-01, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just watched The 400 blows and loved it. So I'm looking for more works by Truffaut.
How does they look and sound as well as the content?
Are there any other region version better than R1 version?
Old 02-23-01, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DVD146
I just watched The 400 blows and loved it. So I'm looking for more works by Truffaut.
How does they look and sound as well as the content?
Are there any other region version better than R1 version?
I bought both Bride wore Black & Mississippi Mermaid by Truffaut recently. I love both these films, which are both based on novels by mystery writer Cornell Woolrich, as is Hitchcock's Rear Window.

Bride is a non-anamorphic 1.66:1 transfer which looks 100 times better than the the previous full frame VHS release. The sound, Dolby digital mono is adequete. this film is a female revenge flic in the best sense of the meaning. If you like Ms.45 by Abel Ferrera, you'll like this. I highly recommend it.

cheers, Tony Block
Old 02-23-01, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll second that opinion - Bride Wore Black is one of the better truffaut dvds. He's in his full-blown Hitchcock mode. The great Moreau stars - perhaps a little past her prime, but still lovely and a great performance(underrated, imo). Stolen Kisses is also nice - it's kind of a sequel to 400 Blows as it follows the same character after his discharge from the army and his romantic endeavors. These are reasonably priced, otherwise I'd recommend Jules & Jim and Two English Girls for next on your truffaut trip.
Old 02-23-01, 09:34 PM

I concur with the comments about The Bride Wore Black; I'm quite pleased with MGM's disk and the price is very reasonable. I actually placed an order for three more MGM Truffaut titles today since I can't find any others in local B&Ms.

Stolen Kisses is a wonderful movie, but my older bottom-of-the-line Sony has had trouble with all of Fox/Lorber's post 400 Blows Antoine Doinel movies. These titles typically feature occasional speed-ups and smearing which I can only assume are the side effects of a poor compression job. Note that the Fox/Lorber DVDs are all $30 list price, while the MGMs are $20, so I hope that WinStar revisits their titles (the Fox/Lorber ones) sometime in the future; on these boards, I often read people bitching about the price of bare-bones $30 Criterion DVDs, but in almost every case those disks look alarmingly better than most F/L disks. I do think that Winstar is improving, though.

I can't recall any specific gripes, though, with Jules & Jim or Two English Girls (F/L DVDs, both) although the latter wasn't especially good. However, both of those movies are probably my favorites from Truffaut, and among my favorites of all time. Both movies are based on novels by Henri Pierre Roche, who I think may have been forgotten if it were not for Truffaut. Georges Delerue provides a typically memorable score for both movies. I heartily concur with bdots48's recommendations. Jules & Jim even features another Glenn Kenny commentary which is worth a listen.

I'm sorry but I can't help with DVDs that are not coded either R1 or R0. But isn't Truffaut great?
Old 02-24-01, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...for those readers able to watch Region 2 PAL DVDs, I heartily recommend the François Truffaut Collection on the French mk2 label: 12 titles, the first five of which were released last November:

http://www.mk2.com/new/dvd/index.html

All films in their theatrical AR, anamorphic transfers, glorious mono sound, copious extras.

What makes this series special is that each disc features optional English subtitles for the entire contents: not just the film, but also interviews, commentaries, outtakes...

mk2 will also be releasing a Claude Chabrol Collection...

...ahhh... to live in Region 2...

! !

Old 02-24-01, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Hendrik
mk2 will also be releasing a Claude Chabrol Collection...
...ahhh... to live in Region 2...
! !
Time to buy a region 2 player!