Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Which should I buy: Exorcist 25th anniv. or Exorcist: Version You've Never Seen?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Which should I buy: Exorcist 25th anniv. or Exorcist: Version You've Never Seen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-01, 03:31 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen the original Exorcist numerous times, but I've never seen the 'new' version. Is the restored footage worth sacrificing the additional extra features that are on the 25th anniversary disc? I have neither DVD, and probably only want to buy one of the two. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance-
Old 02-20-01, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've been debating about adding this to my collection too. even though i haven't seen TVYNSB, everything i read about it, hasn't made me miss it. the 'epilogue' especially, w/ kinderman and the priest, sounds really lame. i'd definately just go w/ the 25th anniversary. if you can even find it. stores around here that stock the title have about 5-10 copies of the new version vs. 1 or none of the anniversary edition. besides, you get all the vital missing footage (i.e. the spiderwalk) in the supplemental documentary anyway.

damn...i think i just talked myself into buying this today
Old 02-20-01, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Both, ideally, but if you had to just pick one, I'd say the 25th anniversary release -- looks great, and there are tons of great extras that weren't carried over to the Version You've Never Seen. The audio remix on TVYNS is absolutely amazing, though.
Old 02-20-01, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ckolchak - There's much more in TVYNS than the deleted spider walk scene and the epilogue. I would highly recommend you rent it if nothing else. I too was a skeptic until I watched it.

aikim - If you're a true fan of the film, you'll want both. The 25th has the terrific documentary and the original cut of the film. TVYNS has the "new" cut and is re-mastered and re-mixed. I own, and quite enjoy, both. If you MUST have just one, get the 25th and rent TVYNS.
Old 02-20-01, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Johnny Zhivago
If you're a true fan of the film, you'll want both. The 25th has the terrific documentary and the original cut of the film. TVYNS has the "new" cut and is re-mastered and re-mixed. I own, and quite enjoy, both. If you MUST have just one, get the 25th and rent TVYNS.
I agree with Johnny. It is worth seeing TVYNS, but not at the expense of owning 25th. Unfortunately, I did the reverse, but I do plan purchase the 25th Anniversary Edition.
Old 02-20-01, 07:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have to agree with the general consensus: the 25th anniversary is the must own disc. The new version is recommended for real big fans of the film. I have both.
Old 02-20-01, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

o.k. i'm game.
-got one of those 30 day sclockbuster passes and after 6 days i've seen most of what i want to see already so i'll give the new version a spin sometime later in the week

Old 02-21-01, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The new version of The Exorcist is a travesty, IMO, a really depressing experience. I agree with Ebert on this one. I saw it in the theater and I think that almost without exception, all of the changes that Friedkin made at the behest of Blatty (keep the writer OUT OF THE EDITING ROOM!!!) are really stupid. There was nothing wrong with the film to begin with, and as for the highly touted sound mix, that sucked too. They added in new music which totally killed the delicate atmosphere in some scenes and did other alterations, mostly volume increases, that were totally gratuitous.

I saw the original Exorcist in 70mm 6-track Dolby Surround analog, and that was the ideal experience. So if you're getting the DVD, get the original and ignore the new one--or risk a rental and you may agree with me. Just my opinion as a fan of the "true" Exorcist.
Old 02-21-01, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to agree with Jepthah (and Ebert, and others)...

I'm a pretty big EXORCIST fan, but I saw nothing of value in the new version. It was interesting to watch once, in a detached, "hey, that's new!" sort of way. But it did nothing to improve the film and actually detracted from it in many ways.

The "new" ending was terrible and the CGI demon heads popping up all over the place was just a dumb idea.

If you're an Exorcist fan, it's definitely worth a rental. But, if you're only going to own 1 DVD, get the 25th Anniversary edition... it has the original film, a great documentary, and 2 commentary tracks.
Old 02-21-01, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i was 12 yrs old when they re-released this (in the days before video). we lived in a small georgia town that had a 2 screen theater and my mom dropped me off and they sold me a ticket no problem.
was a very dutiful catholic lad at the time, so you can imagine the effect this movie had on me. a couple months later they released ALIEN, and although they debated for a while before they gave me the pass, i got to see that too. man, what a summer that was.

Old 02-23-01, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I recently had this dilema and bought the 25th anniversary edition just because I hated the ending on the new version so much.
Old 02-25-01, 11:25 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts
Based on what's written here I am really close to geting the 25th anniversary DVD. Besides, when ctyner speaks, it's got to be right.

One last thing though: Can someone please say definitively that the "spider walk" scenes are included in the extras? I don't want them in the movie, but in the extras. ckolchak seems to think that, but that was before he got the DVD so I don't know if I should trust him
Old 02-25-01, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kuroiinu
One last thing though: Can someone please say definitively that the "spider walk" scenes are included in the extras?
The spider walk is DEFINITELY included in the extras for the 25th Anniversary edition.
Old 02-25-01, 01:52 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks bboisvert. Now I feel better spending $20 on it.
Old 02-25-01, 10:24 PM
Suspended

I saw the original one maybe 20 years ago .. I didn't really remember much of it since I was so little.. but, I got the version you've never seen DVD when it came out and I hafta say I've never seen a movie scarier than this (even scarier the clown in Poltergeist!)

I can only comment on this newer version though .. but for a movie that's so old, it looks incredible.. like a movie that's brand new.. nothing faded, no dirty spots blinking in, it was great, and the sound was great too. So, I'd definately say get this newer version.. I know I'm not sorry I did
Old 02-25-01, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by necros
I can only comment on this newer version though .. but for a movie that's so old, it looks incredible.. like a movie that's brand new.. nothing faded, no dirty spots blinking in, it was great, and the sound was great too. So, I'd definately say get this newer version.. I know I'm not sorry I did
Most of the things you're describing also apply to the 25th Anniversary edition. The picture quality is nearly identical (I can't see a difference). And, although the sound mixes are different, the old version also sounds great.
Old 03-02-01, 07:28 PM
Banned

I'll add my vote for the 25th Anniversary Edition. Most of the footage from TVYNS is in there, and Friedkin's commentary on TVYNS sucks.

I actually liked the CGI demon heads though.
Old 03-02-01, 09:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would like to point out that while the spider walk is available on the documentary in the 25th anniversary version, it isn't remastered, and I think Friedkin and Blatty are talking over it, plus it is less effective dramatically because it shows more than just the walk. I also wonder why people hate the new ending so much. It was in the book, and I see nothing wrong with it.
Old 03-02-01, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by Suprmallet
I also wonder why people hate the new ending so much. It was in the book, and I see nothing wrong with it.
You really don't know? The answer is pretty simple.

It's the same reason why people overwhelmingly abhor Anchor Bay's 30th Anniversay Night of the Living Dead DVD.

When you have a classic film like Night of the Living Dead and The Exorcist most people simply want the original film, as it was released in theatres.

Old 03-03-01, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Suprmallet
I would like to point out that while the spider walk is available on the documentary in the 25th anniversary version, it isn't remastered, and I think Friedkin and Blatty are talking over it, plus it is less effective dramatically because it shows more than just the walk. I also wonder why people hate the new ending so much. It was in the book, and I see nothing wrong with it.
What is right for a novel is not necessarily right for a film.

Friedkin had valid reasons for removing it that I agree with, and he shouldn't have let Blatty make him second-guess himself!

The ambiguity that ends the original cut of the film is PERFECT in my estimation. It's a delicate mood that was ruined in the new cut of the film.

Imagine if Casablanca ended differently! It's that fine a point. Endings are critical.
Old 03-10-01, 11:08 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

2 different 25th anniversary discs?

I found a 25th anniversary disc at Circuit City. However, it didn't have a [Special Edition] banner at the top along with the WB emblem like I see on web sites. Is this just a slight cover difference, or did the contents change also? For what it's worth, I like the SE cover better. Does anyone know? Which one came first? Thanks.
Old 03-11-01, 07:26 PM

I own the 25th anniversary edition, although I haven't got round to watching the main feature yet (will do soon ).

Any way, I did watch the excellent documentry which featured the spider walk, which I'd never seen before. I have to say, after hearing how disturbing it was, I thought the sequence was extremely tame!
Old 03-11-01, 08:34 PM

The 25th Anniversary Edition definetly. The added scenes in TVYNS don't bring anything more to the movie and are included in the 25th AE. The TVYNS was, in my estimation, nothing more than an attempt to make a few extra bucks off this classic by the studio. Stick with the original, it will scare you just as much.
Old 03-11-01, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is simple for me

If I had to pick one ... 25th (Classics are called classics for a reason!)

But if you are a big fan or really worried about the differences ... BOTH!

Old 03-12-01, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did like the conversation on the steps scene from TVYNS. I felt that added more than the spiderwalk. I own both but I collect horror. If I had to choose it would be the 25th.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.