DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Brazil CC?

Old 02-15-01, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any and all personal reviews of Brazil will be helpful. I am not sure if I want to spend the money to get this, is it worth it?
Old 02-15-01, 09:02 PM

Yes, most definatly. One of the best movies ever made. The only question is if you want the CC or just the regular one. The CC has one disc completely full of extras and a third with the cut the studio wanted so you can see what *they* wanted to do to this masterpiece (and by association, what they do to many, many other films).

Old 02-15-01, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The dvd or the film?

I absolutely love this film, but I guess it isn't for everyone. Very surreal and...strange. An interesting depiction of dystopia. The DVD is great. Nice transfer and sound if I remember. Great supplements including the TV "Love Conquers All" Version and a nice documentary about the trouble gettting the film out there.
Old 02-15-01, 09:16 PM
Cool New Member

I would say the "Love Conquers All" disc in the CC edition is one of the most enlightening supplements I have, since it illustrates both the power of editing to utterly change the meaning of a film and the mindset of the studio that would gut such a clearly visionary experience. Listening to the commentary on that cut really shows how context and flow in editing impacts what you feel in a movie.

Old 02-15-01, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have yet to see it, but you may want to do a search for Brazil. There are tons of reviews, and they are from people who really like it to people who really hate it.

Just trying to be helpful
Old 02-16-01, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's great.

Get it before it's no longer made.

Short review, and to the point.
Old 02-16-01, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is listed in many top 10 lists, and (at the time) was an example of what can (and should) be done with a DVD release.

Fantastic!

I love the movie, and was caught up in the contraversy when it came out, so I knew when I got a DVD player that this was a 'must have' DVD.

Great Packaging, good transfer, great extras, what more could you ask for?
Old 02-16-01, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,058 Likes on 641 Posts
So there is a different opinion...

This movie is overrated, artsy-fartsy, dull crap.

Also check the "search" feature. This movie has been discussed literally hundreds of times on this forum & there are too many personal reviews to list.
Old 02-16-01, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rent it first. It's too expensive to get only to learn you hate it.
Old 02-21-01, 11:57 AM

I've heard that this movie is great. What exactly is it about? I've never seen it.
Old 02-25-01, 01:41 PM
Banned

i say buy it without watching it. this disc is my bid for the best treatment a movie has received on DVD. i wouldn't say the movie is the best ever, but it's still good and the extras do it justice (same feeling with fight club, which i like even less than brazil, but the production value of the DVD warrants that you should own it)
Old 02-27-01, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by CheapBastid

Great Packaging, good transfer, great extras, what more could you ask for?
a better movie.
i agree w/ you about the cc packaging. that's what made me spring $50 for it w/out ever having seen the film. after making it 1/2 way thru after 3 tries i finally have to cry "uncle"

maybe if you like Monty Python material you can appreciate this a little more. to me it's just a big, indulgent mess.
the doc was fascinating, but gilliam comes off like a prima dona.
there's no shame in concision. he could have easily incorporated his themes into a leaner cut of the film, but he acted like such a petulant child, like every frame was sacred.
i had really high hopes for this and was prepared to meet it 1/2 way, but as the minutes dragged on i could feel all my enthusiasm for it being slowly sapped away. a huge dissapointment.

but i agree, if you're a fan of the film, the CC edition is the way to go-one of the best treatments any film has ever recieved.
Old 02-27-01, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ckolchak
there's no shame in concision. he could have easily incorporated his themes into a leaner cut of the film, but he acted like such a petulant child, like every frame was sacred.
While I understand that tastes vary, and I know more than one friend who feels that Brazil is not their cup of tea, I can't find fault in Mr. Gilliam for his stance. All too often Directors have to bow to pressure from idiots at the movie studios and their requests for changes and cuts. For Mr. Gilliam to hold fast to his principles and his artistic vision (weather or not you personally appreciate them) is an act of courage (luckily for the fans of Mr. Gilliam and his work) that amazingly succeeded.

I'm sure American Beauty could have been shortened a bit and wrapped up with a happy ending as well...

Oh, and that darned long and confusing 2001: A Space Odyssey could have benefited from some concision...

=)
Old 02-27-01, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
This movie is overrated, artsy-fartsy, dull crap.
I agree.