Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review Wanted: Grand Illusion (Criterion)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Grand Illusion (Criterion)

Old 02-14-01, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard great things about this anti-war film, and I am about to add this one to my collection. Before I do that, I would like to get your input on this movie. Thanks.
Old 02-14-01, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.filmsondisc.com/DVDpages/grand_illusion.htm
Old 02-14-01, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
picked this up around christmas 'cause the packaging really piqued my interest. all the film guides give 5 star perfect scores so i figured the chances i would like it were pretty good. i was expecting something a little different from all the reviews, von stroheim was really only a supporting character (i expected him to be the primary antagonist for the whole movie). watching the disc doc on the restoration is worth it as the job they did is amazing. never listened to the commentary. ended up selling it a few weeks ago since i didn't think i'd ever watch it again. liked the the last act, but not really sure why this is such an unqualified 'masterpiece'. as far as anti-war movies go, PATHS OF GLORY is much more invigorating -just my .02
Old 02-14-01, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thinking about it a little more- even though i was initally a little disappointed w the story, there's something about it that's stuck w/ me. this is probably something i will appreciate more if i see it again years from now. i would have kept it, but being cramped for space (and time) and still having a lot of stuff i haven't even opened yet, i figured i just as well pass it on. apart from one segment in the early middle of the film that had me looking at my watch, i found it pretty interesting. looking over my last post, i don't want it to seem like i'm dissing the movie or trying to talk anyone out of seeing it. for me i just didn't anticipate pulling it out again anytime soon so i passed it on.
still love the jacket art though.
if they have to do 'Big Heads Over the Title' ( i think its a federal law now that all movie advertising has to follow these guidelines) at least they did it in a classy fashion.
Old 02-25-01, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The input was consider and I bought the DVD, and now after that I have viewed. I must say that this is one of the better war movies that I have seen, however, it is also an older movie from 1937 so I have some understanding for what was feasible back then. It is not for you who think war is adventurous and exciting. It is for you who know war, and its close cold face. Then again, a reminder that it is olmost 70 years old. I recommend this movie, and it has a valueble spot in my collection.