Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Is 'Roughnecks-The Starship Troopers Chronicles-The Pluto Campaign' worth a purchase?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Is 'Roughnecks-The Starship Troopers Chronicles-The Pluto Campaign' worth a purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-01, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well FJ, I know quite a few people who are going to buy the DVDs and they haven't even seen the series yet. And no, they haven't been bombarded by a lot of people telling them how great it is and how cool it looks, they're going to buy this first DVD because they love CG Animation.

We all have our own opinions about which episode we liked or which one we didn't like - I know that several over at Roughnecks Ramblings board didn't like the Ice Asteroid eps - but in the end, its up to the individual who buys the DVD to decide on whether they like the show or not. It could end up sitting on someone's shelf collecting dust, or it could be played over and over again... I know we're over-excited that the series is finally coming to DVD (and be thankful that we've even got this far!!) but it can't be helped when many of the fans have been pushing so hard for Sony to actually do something, and we all really appreciate that they have given us the opportunity to keep a little piece of the Roughnecks for ourselves.

I know that I often 'um' and 'ah 'over whether to buy a DVD or not, but even based on movies or shows I've never seen, I often will buy a DVD out of curiosity - its silly thing to do I know, but it often works! I end up with a great DVD that I enjoy watching.

I myself really enjoy the show, despite it taking me so long to get into it, and no it wasn't because of certain episodes or campaigns, it was because I first thought it was following on from the movie (which I hated) but when I actually sat down and watched an episode, I was intrigued by the character interactions and relationships as well as the storyline. The coolness of the CG Animation was just a bonus!

I'd like to encourage people to go and buy the DVD anyway, regardless of anyone else's opinion, because in the end, it may not end up being the same as yours
Old 03-07-01, 05:30 PM
Banned

Your missing the point

I am not trying to get people to not buy the dvd, I just want them to enjoy it rather then just increase sales for my own/your own greedy purposes. Yes the DVD is good, all I am saying is wait until its offically out and get some professional reviews, and maybe you will like the second one better, maybe you won't. Or watch a clip of the show like someone previously pointed out. Just don't waste 15 bucks because 10 people say its good, find out for yourself. Most of the people in here are in here simply to increase sales and get people to buy buy buy, I am just simply saying don't buy it unless you want it and not because people want to increase sales. Its a good cartoon and it shouldn't be used for greed.
Old 03-07-01, 06:08 PM

Re: Your missing the point

Originally posted by Filmjester
Your missing the point
Really???

I am not trying to get people to not buy the dvd
Then you probably shouldn't have started your first post in the thread with.

the pluto campagin isn't very good, I would wait a month or two and get the second dvd, its much better, better acting, writing, and animation.
Which is fine...that's your opinion. But why are we selfish/greedy because we think it's a great show and it will be a great DVD to own? Don't forget...this whole thread was started by sonmeone who had a question.

Originally posted by exm
Never heard of this series beforing and saw it on pre-order at Amazon with pretty good reviews. Is it worth pre-ordering (since I'm a Sci-Fi/Action/War fan)?
No one is saying that EVERYONE should go out and buy this DVD. But I think someone who says he likes Sci-Fi/Action/War will probably like this DVD.
Old 03-07-01, 06:19 PM

I promise you I am not....

Its a good cartoon and it shouldn't be used for greed.
Greed??? For what?? I don't understand what you mean. And besides, you're doing the same thing by saying buy the second DVD - you're still encouraging people to buy it, what's the difference between you encouraging people to buy the second DVD and the rest of us encouraging them to buy the first one??

We're not forcing anyone to buy the DVD, people here are curious about it and we're giving them our (encouraging )opinions on it. While Sony has said something about a second DVD, maybe it may never happen.. maybe sales won't go well and they decide not to release a second DVD or someone buys the show off of Sony and a different DVD is released.. anything can happen between now and the supposed date of the second DVD release. We're fans of the show and we're excited by these DVDs.. we can't help but want to plug it for all we can!!! I guess you're right, we are greedy... we want more DVDs!!! But in the end, regardless of whether it sells well or not, its up to Sony to decide what they want to do with the series/future DVD releases.

Just don't waste 15 bucks because 10 people say its good, find out for yourself.
15 bucks!!!!! Man you guys got it made - I have to fork out anywhere between 30-40 bucks for a DVD!!!!!! Count yourself lucky!!

BTW: I think we all get the point that you're not terribly fond of the Pluto Campaign...
Old 03-07-01, 07:05 PM

BTW.....

... I forgot to mention this, but I've actually only seen one of the Pluto Campaign episodes. It's the one where Dizzy freaks out because she's claustrophobic. That was an episode I just happened upon last year - and I actually missed the first few minutes of it too. The first full episode I saw was the first of the Tesca Nemerosa campaign. But I was intrigued by how the characters interacted with one another in the episode where Dizzy loses it and their obvious growing bonds between one another. The other thing about that episode that really got my interest was when they saw that big... well I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen the episode or the series. It was really good!

So there you have it. I've not actually seen the first Pluto Campaign episodes, but since it is these episodes that really introduce us to the characters themselves and we get to know what relationships there are between them - and it is the beginning of a continuing story - I just think it's necessary to buy this DVD. For me anyway - anyone else wanting to wait until the second DVD, feel free to do so.
Old 03-07-01, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd seen this header loitering on the board for a while. I thought R:STC was some cheesy limited cel animation cash-in so i pretty much ignored this thread. just clicked on it now out of curiousity (53 posts?).

well, you guys have my interest piqued.
i'm sure it won't be quite the #@*% every one here is claiming it is, but since there are so many rabid fans it should at least be interesting.

too bad i'm gonna be traveling tuesday, i'll bet at least a couple of places will have a good deal on it.

Old 03-08-01, 02:36 AM

Okay, here's a possible solution

If you have never seen this show before, please take a few mins to download some of the clips at our site. http://www.roughneckchronicles.com

Go to the Gallery section and then the Videos and Bish Videos Sections. There are very good samples of what the show is about.

If that is still unsatisfactory for you to make up your mind, please RENT the DVD/VHS and then decide for yourself if you would like to buy it.

I am guilty for being biased, but my opinion is just that my opinion, you fine folks here on this board obviously know how to make up your own minds. We are just here to inform, educated, and provide our opinions.

FJ is right, I am guilty of being greedy. You see, the more interest this DVD and the second forthcoming DVD gets, the more Sony might be able to secure funding to proceed and FINISH off the series. You see the last three episodes were NOT finished, and Sony has left the fans of the show hanging. Up until a few months ago, the possiblity of even getting a DVD for the show did not exist. It had two chances, slim and none. I had more of a chance to make the LA Lakers squad. Hey, don't laugh I could've been a good bench warmer So my guilt is this, I am guilty of promoting a show for over a year now. I am guilty of trying my hardest to do whatever I can to make sure those final episodes get made. I am guilty of creating a website and being a waystation for the rabid roughnecks fans to discuss, laugh and dream of Roughnecks in all it's forms. Fanatics all of them!!! Just ask them they will tell you they are nuts! I am guilty of wanting to finish something that was started a loooooongggg time ago and needs to be finished.

I am sorry if my greed turns any of you off to this series. Please take the time to find out about it. The hardest part about this whole situation is that, even now, many people don't even KNOW about this show. It's been that way since the beginning. FJ, please don't fault these people for wanting to promote this show.

To quote another infamous Rod, "Can't we all just get along!?!?"

Thank you all and have a nice day or evening.

Rodimus

[Edited by Rodimus on 03-08-01 at 02:45 AM]
Old 03-08-01, 02:06 PM

HUH?

A few rabid fans?! In the Roughneck Rambling forums alon there are over half a thousand of them, all of them rabid!

By the way, how are we that biased? And if we are, how do you think we got that way?

I've never heard of a person actually watching this show and NOT enjoying it immensly. If you like a good show, buy it. If not (?) dont.
Old 03-08-01, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ARE ALL THE EPISODES IN 5.1 SURROUND SOUND?
Old 03-09-01, 06:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first reviews are in

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...iptrooper.html

ROUGHNECKS: STARSHIP TROOPERS CHRONICLES - THE
PLUTO CAMPAIGN

Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment / 1999 / 97 Minutes / Rated PG

Reviewed by Jim Howard on March 7, 2001

Young soldiers travel to Pluto in order to destroy a small but violent bevy of
spider-like creatures known simply as the "bugs." However, the small group of
beasts turns out to be thousands, soon overtaking Pluto and it's civilians.
Overwhelmed by the insects from hell, the troopers fight for their lives to
escape. But military superiors demand that the troop return and capture a
young bug for scientific study. Sound familiar?

This disc supposedly includes five stories (though I only counted four) with
the first being a near-identical, sanitized 23-minute capsule of the live-action
Starship Troopers, which is based on the novel "Starship Troopers" by Robert
Heinlein. And as the show progresses, there are way too many parallels
extracted from the 1986 film ALIENS, but I still found some fun with Troopers.
(Editor: What!? you mean someone ripped off ALIENS!?) The dark, charred
environment of Pluto has the intriguing look and smell of death, and the series
is definitely testosterone-fueled, with plenty of guns, grenades and (albeit
cardboard) comradeship as the humans band together to squash those vile,
brutal bugs. What can I say? I always wanted to be a Marine fighter from
ALIENS...at least on a Holideck...

Wafer-thin plotting aside, the CGI landscapes are very imaginative and
well-rendered, but the human element remains undeniably stiff. Some of the
stories were mildly interesting (the bridge episode being the best), but
admittedly they quickly become repetitive. Still, as an enjoyable time waster,
this ain't a bad way to kill some time. But sci-fi enthusiasts will probably find
Roughecks void of originality and a little too domesticated.

Video: How Does The Disc Look?

The picture is presented in it's original 1.33:1 full screen broadcast ratio. The
transfer generally looks good , but I had expected it to be a bit more dazzling
and razor sharp. The elements lack any noticeable blemishes, though the
exhibition seems a bit hazy given the muddy color palette. And dark greens
can look slightly grainy. Color banding is slightly noticeable sometimes on
reasonably colored "fleshtones." Contrast is fair with generally deep blacks.
Some of the action scenes indeed have inertia, and the "blurring" technique
employed is managed fairly well by the MPEG compression, though terrible
edge enhancements are glaring mostly during panning. Just because an
entertainment medium is CGI doesn't mean that a transfer is going to look like
A Bugs Life (sigh).

Audio: How Does The Disc Sound?

The audio is presented in 5.1 Dolby Digital. My expectations were perhaps up
a little high; the mix was more tame than I had hoped. Directionality between
the fronts is nice, but surrounds are barely utilized. In fact, I had to turn my
surround levels up to the maximum for better envelopment, though of course
one should never have to do this. Still, even pumped up they were quite
mellow for just a bit of bleeding ambiance and no other active effects (I was
hoping for some real audio zingers!) Dialogue sounds almost too bright, as if
actors are right at their microphones. Thus the vocals are clear and
full-bodied, but at the same time, rather unnatural. The rock and techno
score is almost constant but fairly well balanced if monotonous. The .1 LFE is
active, but not quite reaching down into those low-decibel depths. I had to
turn the woofer setting up as well, and the show was more exciting. This is
just an OK mix that could have been more aggressive.

Other audio options include 2.0 Dolby surround tracks in English, French,
Spanish and Portuguese, as well as English Closed Captions, and English,
French, Portuguese, Chinese, Korean, Thai and Spanish subtitles.

Supplements: What Goodies Are There?

Supplements include a still gallery with about 40 production and cell photos,
as well as non-anamorphic theatrical trailers for Godzilla 2000, Labyrinth,
Karate Kid III, The Dark Crystal, and 3 Ninjas: Knuckle Up. And that's it.

Parting Thoughts

I found this CGI sci-fi action extravaganza entertaining for the most part, but
hardly original as it mines most of its material from the ALIEN series. The
picture quality fell below a bit below my expectations but it is certainly
watchable, the audio is OK and the supplements marginal. This is probably
best for diehard fans of the show only.
Old 03-09-01, 07:27 PM

How about this one?

From Page 52 of the current issue of Entertainment Weekly
Old 03-11-01, 10:28 AM

WHA?

I'm not too educated on the subject of the Alien series, but what exactly was ripped off from it? Outer Space? How about aliens that look like bugs? Too bad he didn't put in any specifics, because now I'm curious.
Old 03-11-01, 12:32 PM

Re: WHA?

Originally posted by MadCat071
I'm not too educated on the subject of the Alien series, but what exactly was ripped off from it? Outer Space? How about aliens that look like bugs? Too bad he didn't put in any specifics, because now I'm curious.
One of the first eps in the Pluto Campaign has the Roughnecks wandering in corridors of a research station. I guess similarities between it and Aliens can be made.

BTW I asked this in another thread, but this one seems to be getting the most attention. Did anyone else notice when Barcalow's (sp?) character was first introduced he was a Major, but latter in the series he was just an LT.
Old 03-12-01, 01:55 AM

Another review

http://www.dvdauthority.com/starshiptroopersrn.htm
Old 03-12-01, 01:43 PM

ALIENS

Actually, as Rod pointed out, Heinlen's novel predates ALIENS by quite a bit, so there. I think it's just a common idea myself, and both are carried off in very nonsimilar ways so it doesnt really matter.
Old 03-15-01, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just watched Rougnecks DVD! The
Spoiler:
"surprise" at the end of the Pluto campaign
was awesome!

First thing I noticed. The quality of the transfer/video is REALLY BAD. Specially compared to Toy Story and other Disney digital transfers, the video on Roughnecks looks too soft and sometimes even blurry! However, the very nice animation work and detail to the models drew my attention immediately. Some of the shots are very amazing indeed!

The audio was not very aggressive. In fact, it was not aggressive at all A bit of a disappointment since 5.1 audio was made available. I realize that the MI gunfire was meant to sound high-pitched instead of bass rumbling, but I was hoping to at least get a few loud, clear explosions.

These issues aside (it's a TV show after all )... the story I did find quite amusing.

To those who have seen Starship Trooper the movie and don't know what to expect from this CGI series... story-wise, it re-tells some parts of the movie (a bit different, close to the book I suppose?). It is a bit tedious during the first episode, but the introduction of new weapons and armor and more detail into the MI deploying kept me interested. It's a hoot, specially half the way through till the very end... I couldn't get enough!

I'm very much looking forward to the second DVD of the Rougneck: Starship Trooper Chronicles. But I'm really hoping they up the video and audio quality! The animation is very nice and the details in some scenes are unbelievable... but why is the video so BLURRY?!

Hopefully this DVD makes enough money for them to warrant a better DVD transfer... it certainly deserves it!
Old 03-16-01, 01:43 AM

Roughnecks DVD Giveaway

Hello all, just wanted to let you all know that thanks to the kind folks at Sony, we are able to do a Signed DVD giveaway. The DVD is signed by the Foundation and Sony creative teams behind the show.

You need to answer a few basic trivia questions and then you are entered.

You can enter here:

http://www.roughneckchronicles.com/i...tml?quiz.phtml

Rodimus
http://www.roughneckchronicles.com
Old 03-21-01, 12:58 PM
Cool New Member

Blurry?

This is just a personal preference, but I found the use of motion blur in Roughnecks far more realistic and visually satisfying than many CGI works. Most CGI has this bright, crisp, hard look that clearly brands it as animation, a sort of hard graphic-novel look. Roughnecks attempted to create a level of realism using the same motion blur you would get in live film-making. It's a different look and I like it. Once a friend of mine walked in on the show where the characters were walking across a landscape and he had to ask if it was live-action. He couldn't be sure. Most CGI with it's harsh contrast and focus would never be mistaken for real life.
Old 03-21-01, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dodobird
To those who have seen Starship Trooper the movie and don't know what to expect from this CGI series... story-wise, it re-tells some parts of the movie (a bit different, close to the book I suppose?)
Neither the movie nor the TV series have much to do with the novel, except for the concept of a war vs. bugs and the use of certain character names (Johnny Rico, etc.)

If you're a fan of both of these programs, I can definitely recommend that you read the book. It's only about 200 pages, a really quick read -- and it's quite radically different from the movie since there isn't much "plot" at all, more a philosophical discussion on the nature of war, patriotism, and governments.

To be honest, I shut off the Roughnecks DVD after about 40 minutes. It was much closer to the film than I had expected and it really didn't keep my interest. I may consider finishing it though, since people have been saying that it picks up near the end.

Could someone use the spoiler tags and post what happens at the end? My curiousity was peaked with dodobird's comments, but he used the spoiler tags and then didn't spoil anything!
Old 03-22-01, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good Stuff .... enjoyed it better then Pixar's CGI stuff.
I'll be getting the entire series.
Old 03-22-01, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by cubanx
Good Stuff .... enjoyed it better then Pixar's CGI stuff.
I'll be getting the entire series.
Provided they put the entire series out that is