Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

I just watched Way of the Gun and........

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

I just watched Way of the Gun and........

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-01, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by garmonbozia:

Those of you who own the dvd, make sure to check out the commentary. I listen to all the commentaires on all of the discs I own and this was definitely one of THE BEST commentaries I have ever heard.
<HR>

I rented this flick over the weekend & now & am a little sad that I did not check out the commentary as a few of you have mentioned. I normally don't waste my time with commentaries of movies I don't like but there are the rare few that are even more entertaining than the movie (i.e.The Mummy 90's version, Urban Legend).

My opinion on this movie: D-
Started out interesting & got worse as it went along. Too many characters & storylines creeping slow & unwanted around this movie. I love the part when the 2 kidnappers are going thru the alley-ways really slow while being chased but that was about it.

Don't waste your time!

Old 01-15-01, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terrible movie.
Old 01-15-01, 09:37 PM

Terrific movie!
Old 01-16-01, 03:42 AM

am i the only person with a copy of this dvd without the trailer? i bought this movie on the strength of the trailer and now it's nowhere to be found on the disc - despite it being listed on the scan of the back cover on dvdempire's site! weird. other review sites, including this one, list "trailers and tv spots". so where are they?

would someone here who actually bought their copy please check and see if you have them - i'm guessing that they got pulled from the retail version. more weirdness...the official movie site isn't working either and the only trailer i can find on the web is nowhere near as good as the original one i saw.

thanx
nas
Old 01-17-01, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by nasir hamid:
am i the only person with a copy of this dvd without the trailer? i bought this movie on the strength of the trailer and now it's nowhere to be found on the disc - despite it being listed on the scan of the back cover on dvdempire's site! weird. other review sites, including this one, list "trailers and tv spots". so where are they?

would someone here who actually bought their copy please check and see if you have them - i'm guessing that they got pulled from the retail version. more weirdness...the official movie site isn't working either and the only trailer i can find on the web is nowhere near as good as the original one i saw.

thanx
nas
<HR>

no trailer on mine. i was disappointed too.

Old 01-17-01, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Patman:

I would have loved to have seen the "trailer" that introduces Longbaugh and Parker.

And exactly what purpose did that opening scene serve (the cussing out by the big mouth girl of the 2 protagonist)? If you listen to the commentary, it makes for a funny anecdote and such, but in the context of the movie itself, it was out there on an island. Of course, it does grab your attention, but was that all? Was it to show what kind of men they were? Or how "life-like" it was trying to be while being non-Hollywood/non-Politically Correct?

(Strictly a rental IMHO).

<HR>

I think the vulgar girl scene would have fit perfectly in place if it had been followed by the "trailer" deleted scene that is scripted and storyboarded on the disc. It really should have been done. I think the movie would have been more appealing to people if form the start you were told to not look for any sympathy in these characters. McQuarrie even said in the commentary (in response to one critic's comment that he couldn't find any sympathy with any of the characters) that you are are not supposed to be sympathetic with anyone because these are horrible people.

One thing I really liked in the movie is how Longbaugh was always screwing around with Parker
SPOILER
how he checked the Dr.'s bag and saw that he had a gun but gave it back to him to possibly pull on Parker in the van,
and
how he saw that Juliette Lewis' character was up moving around in the hotel room and knew that she was up to something, but approached the motel door with Parker leading just to pull him away right before she shot through it

END OF SPOILER
Make sure to read the Cast and Crew on this disc because there are tidbits of interviews between the pages.
Old 01-17-01, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
There was 2-3 TV trailers, and a full trailer on the DVD. I watched them all. You're not looking in the right place for them. I rented it, so I can't point you to the right place.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 01-18-01, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Patman:
There was 2-3 TV trailers, and a full trailer on the DVD. I watched them all. You're not looking in the right place for them. I rented it, so I can't point you to the right place.

<HR>

I just double checked my disc and could find nothing. Actually my disc does not even list any mention of it containing trailers on it all (unlike someone stated above). So unless they are a hidden feature, there are none on my disc.

Old 01-18-01, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by nasir hamid:

thanx
nas
<HR>

my copy does not list trailers on the back, nor could i find them anywhere on the disc.

Old 01-20-01, 06:39 PM

My copy has the Theatrical Trailer and 5 tv spots.
Old 01-25-01, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by thedarkone:
My copy has the Theatrical Trailer and 5 tv spots.
<HR>

that's really odd. where are they found at? and are they listed on the back?

those of you with trailers, where did you get yours? mine is from buy.com

[This message has been edited by garmonbozia (edited January 25, 2001).]
Old 01-28-01, 01:16 PM
Banned

Mine also has the trailer and the TV spots. I got it from DVD Empire.
Old 01-28-01, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Ivan Berisic:
Mine also has the trailer and the TV spots. I got it from DVD Empire.
<HR>

does it list them as a feature on the back of the disc?

Old 01-28-01, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

------------------
DVDjunkie21's Updated DVDProfiler List
Go Gators!

[This message has been edited by DVDjunkie21 (edited January 28, 2001).]
Old 01-29-01, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That kind of pisses me off. My disc does not list (and does not have) Theatrical trailer and the tv spots, nor does it list whatever the last thing is in the first column. Also, mine only says Cast interviews, not "cast and crew interviews" and in the bios part where the interviews are interpsersed, there are only parts for the cast, not the crew.

i guess there were two different versions fo the disc made and i got screwed.
Old 01-29-01, 11:10 AM
Banned

I agree...this movie sucked....
Old 01-30-01, 04:23 PM

I have to agree with the negative reviews. I was pretty let down by the attempts at character development. As for the special features-- does anyone really want to see Benecio Del Toro give a two second answer to some innane question? No wonder Netflix had it in stock....

Old 01-30-01, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's so strange that there are two versions of the disc with and without trailers... maybe there are two versions of the movie? That would explain the "Terrible movie", "Terrific movie" thing going on
Old 01-30-01, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just checked mine, Canadian version.

No trailer. Exact same ISBN and bar code number as the one with trailer.
Old 02-01-01, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did anyone notice that the kidnappers barely spoke to each other until an hour it to the flick.

Also, I can not put my finger on it, but this screen play seemed to mimic Heat in a sense:

1. Sniper Scene (Open area truck stop vs open area drive-in)

2. Big Shoot Out scene (hotel vs bank)

3. The big bag of money looked similar to Heats (bags look identical)

4. A face to face coffee scene between two people who are about to 'have at it'. (bag man and kidnapper vs DeNiro and Pacino)

5. A wounded buddy who is barely alive manages to give critical information to their buddy (Hispanic dude and DeNiro vs bag-man and his buddy)

Also, anyone notice the bell ringing sound just before the hotel shootout scene. It made a "dong" almost exactly like the ones you would hear in the Rocky movies. Perhaps intentional or not.

-Taco

Old 02-01-01, 10:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by tacomantt:
Also, I can not put my finger on it, but this screen play seemed to mimic Heat in a sense:
<HR>

note also that Heat is somewhat of an updated version of Michael Mann's first feature, Thief, which starred James Caan in a similar role to the one in Way of the Gun. i wouldn't doubt it at all if Christopher McQuarrie is a fan of Mann, although he's nowhere as strong a filmmaker yet.

DJ
Old 02-01-01, 10:24 PM

Interesting film. I liked it, but there seems like there is something wrong with it. Maybe, it was bad, yet good. I cannot decide, and I do not want to watch it again. Hmmm, can this be the one? Is is possible? I think I will never know? DO YOU KNOW? I DON'T.

------------------
"A word is dead when it is said, some say; I say it just begins to live that day."