DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Blues Brothers 2000

Old 01-04-01, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seen the original, but avoided the theatrical release. Now that it's been running on VH-1 (Movies that Rock), the movie appears to be a lot better than I expected. I still haven't seen the film in its entirety, but seriously thinking of purchasing the DVD outright. Any thoughts on the quality of this purchase would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-04-01, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never seen it but when compusa had the Dvd clearance sale back in the summer, I almost bought it the 1st day but didnt. I went back 3 or 4 weeks later and it was still there for 14.88. I left it there.
Old 01-05-01, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts
If you liked the original Blues Brothers movie, you will like Blues Brothers 2000.

While it is a bit of a rehash of the first movie, it is still very entertaining, and it's great to see these guys 20 years later.

It's a fun movie, nothing more, nothing less. Well worth at least renting - I bought the DVD and am very glad that I did.
Old 01-06-01, 12:31 PM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by B5Erik:
If you liked the original Blues Brothers movie, you will like Blues Brothers 2000.
<HR>

Er, I don't think so pal.
Old 01-08-01, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Blues Brothers 2000 is a bit of a mixed bag. The story and jokes of the movie, for the most part, are simply rehashes of what was seen in the original film, and most of them are pretty lame this second time around. But the musical performances in the film are all very good, arguably even better than the one's in the first film (for example, I think the Blues Brothers performance of "Ghost Riders in the Sky" in this film is actually better than their version of "Rawhide" in the first film). So if you liked the first film mainly for the music, then you probably will like this second film too (just be prepared for some lame jokes).
Old 01-08-01, 10:59 PM

I think I must be more lenient towards both films because I'm a blues fan, and I appreciate them more as a blues experience, than as a regular film. No one else these days seems to have any desire to cast the likes of B.B. King and Aretha Franklin for whatever reason, let alone give them speaking parts. John Belushi may be gone, but I think both films serve as a wonderful homage to blues music. As far as the goofy humor, well that's John Landis for you.
Old 01-09-01, 03:08 AM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by dhmac:
Blues Brothers 2000 is a bit of a mixed bag. The story and jokes of the movie, for the most part, are simply rehashes of what was seen in the original film, and most of them are pretty lame this second time around. But the musical performances in the film are all very good, arguably even better than the one's in the first film
<HR>

I have to agree with this. The first film was silly and boring, with some good music. The second film was sillier and lacked any semblance of a decent plot or script. But the musical performances were much better, to the point of taking over this movie. I picked it up as a mismark for $10 at the Universal site, and because I like the music, it was worth getting for me.
Old 01-10-01, 07:06 PM
SS

I agree with Hoc. the 1st movie was boring and the music was ok. Neither film had any plot and the jokes were lame at best. The second one had great tunes, great performances, great sound, and a great picture. Available in DTS also. I enjoyed the 2nd one the best. i personally don't understand why many people rave about BB1 and hate BB2. Both are not good films, but both can still be entertaining.
Old 01-10-01, 07:49 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me sum it up like this:

The first film is my all-time favorite comedy film...

...but I couldn't make it through the first 30 minutes of BLUES BROTHERS 2000 before switching it off in anguish. It's that bad...
Old 01-11-01, 02:04 AM
Banned

quote:<HR>Originally posted by B5Erik:
<HR>

You're on crack, right?

If youre a fan of BB..... then you will HATE HATE HATE this awful piece of sh*t sequel!!!

This movie was garbage!
Old 01-11-01, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really enjoyed this movie. I had very low expectations, but was pleasantly surprised. The finale with B.B. King, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Vaughan, Bo Didley, Steve Winwood, Dr. John and others was simply AWESOME! Sure, the plot was non-existent, but it's the Blues Brothers!