DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   I almost gave up on anime flicks until I saw 'Ninja Scroll', more recommendations? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/73794-i-almost-gave-up-anime-flicks-until-i-saw-ninja-scroll-more-recommendations.html)

Fromundacheese 12-06-00 06:54 PM

I bought and watched 'Perfect Blue' and 'Ninja Scroll'( the only 2 anime features I have ever seen)

I have seen 'Ninja Scroll' several times now
and I absolutely love it.
'Perfect Blue' is good but it did nothing for me.
Please recommend more anime along the lines of 'Ninja Scroll'
Thanks

Sartana 12-06-00 07:09 PM

Whenever I stumble on an anime that I really love, my first reaction is always "What else is like this?", but the answer is almost always, "Nothing, that's why it is so great."

I love NINJA SCROLL, but you really aren't going to find much of quality in the same genre. Since we both love NINJA SCROLL and niether of us was too thrilled by PERFECT BLUE, I'd feel comfortable recommending MACROSS PLUS, a science fiction film available on two separate DVDs, GHOST IN THE SHELL, a big-budget theatrical sci-fi film that was given a terrific DVD transfer, GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, a shattering wartime drama with a so-so DVD transfer (still essential though), MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, a children's film for adults that's not available on DVD, and finally, my favorite, LAIN, a 13-episode television series that breaks all the boundaries of traditional animation and storytelling. LAIN is available on four separate DVDs from Pioneer (all of them feature interesting extras) and they look absolutely incredible. The transfers are completely digital and it shows. This is the best that Japanese animation has looked on DVD.

Space Samurai 12-06-00 09:00 PM

You want anime recommendation? Nothing gets my highest recommendation other than Cowboy Bebop, absolutely fantastic series, great animation, great voice actors, great stories, great everything,the only bad thing is there isn't enough of it http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/frown.gif Tenchi is also very good if you want more lighthearted comic character driven anime.

See ya
Space Samurai

Liquid Death 12-06-00 10:49 PM

I would really check out Samurai X Vol 1 and Vol 2 (Trust and Betrayal, resp) if you liked Ninja Scroll...I wrote a review for Samurai X Vol 1 for the DVD review database, if you need more info.

Fromundacheese 12-07-00 11:15 AM

Space Samurai
Sartana
Liquid Death, thanks alot for the recommendations I will let you guys know how I like all of those Anime DVD's.

Liquid Death, could you post a hyperlink to your review?
Thanks

Myster X 12-07-00 11:30 AM

How about Vampyre Hunter D?

DVD~Demonoid 12-07-00 05:25 PM

I really liked Perfect Blue and thought it had one of the best stories for an anime in quite some time, when compared with a lot of the boring T n A discs that are out there.

I think Wicked City was a really cool feature and I'll be picking this up on DVD soon. I also second the motion on Vampire Hunter D. Recommending good anime titles is difficult because there are such different ones out there - someone might love Ninja Scroll and despise Sakura Diaries. I myself have been watching anime for upwards of 10 years so I'm not simply impressed by the drawing style or the "coolness" factor of anime anymore - it's gotta have good characterization and an original story.

- Guru

ipkevin 12-07-00 11:13 PM

The drawing style of Ninja Scroll is pretty unique to the animation studio (Madhouse). You can see their work in the Nightwarriors DVDs, but they're not half as good shows as Ninja Scroll.

Oh yeah, Madhouse also did Street Fighter the Animated Movie. The animation in that is very slick! Wild action scenes. You may like it actually.

darino 12-08-00 10:40 PM

Well, if you like ninja scroll you should check out the following, which are probably required viewing for anime fans.

Ghost in the Shell (avail on DVD)
Akira (available in german on DVD, or so I have heard, rumour has it that a new english release is coming)
Princess Mononoke (Released Dec 19th get it!)
Vision of Escaflowne, (NOT Escaflowne which you might be able to see on TV, Escaflowne is the dumbed down, heavily edited version for american children. VoE is currently being released on DVD)
Macross Plus (4 episodes, available on 2 dvd's)

Those are my suggestions that are avilable on DVD.

Fromundacheese 12-28-00 10:04 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sartana:
Whenever I stumble on an anime that I really love, my first reaction is always "What else is like this?", but the answer is almost always, "Nothing, that's why it is so great."

I love NINJA SCROLL, but you really aren't going to find much of quality in the same genre. Since we both love NINJA SCROLL and niether of us was too thrilled by PERFECT BLUE, I'd feel comfortable recommending MACROSS PLUS, a science fiction film available on two separate DVDs, GHOST IN THE SHELL, a big-budget theatrical sci-fi film that was given a terrific DVD transfer, GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, a shattering wartime drama with a so-so DVD transfer (still essential though), MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, a children's film for adults that's not available on DVD, and finally, my favorite, LAIN, a 13-episode television series that breaks all the boundaries of traditional animation and storytelling. LAIN is available on four separate DVDs from Pioneer (all of them feature interesting extras) and they look absolutely incredible. The transfers are completely digital and it shows. This is the best that Japanese animation has looked on DVD.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could you tell me more about Lain?
People say if you like David Lynch
then you will like this series, to the
best of my knowledge I have only
seen one movie from Lynch, BLUE VELVET,
it is one of my favorite movies from the
eighties.

I have seen some of the recommendations:
Ghost in the Shell (loved it)
Macross Plus ( it was ok, fun to look at
but the story is just not
my cup of tea)
Princess Mononoke ( loved it)

smartt 12-28-00 06:42 PM

Animes to look for:

Wings of Honneamise (one of the best EVER)
Venus Wars (kinda boring, but the visuals are breathtaking)
Record of Lodoss War
My Neighbour Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service
Laputa: Castle In the Sky
Nausicaa
Robot Carnival (several anime shorts)
Twilight of the Cockroaches (blend of live action and cartoon)
Silent Mobius
Neon Genesis Evangelion
The Castle of Caglioso
Golgol 13
Windaria
Neo Tokyo
Crying Freeman
Lupin III

kraeji 12-29-00 11:31 PM

WOW many good anime have been listed.. I also loved Ninja Scroll but avoid the sequel... it was horrible.

Jason 12-31-00 10:58 PM

I'll add Bubblegum Crisis and the remake, BGC 2040.

The original is a true anime classic, with a good solid story and great music. The animation may not be up to today's standards, but it's worth watching nonetheless. Be sure to get the later pressings, as the original release was plagued with many problems.

BGC 2040 is more of a remake than a sequel, with much better animation and a more in-depth feel, since it's 26 episodes v. 8 for the original. More cool music, too. The only disadvantage is that they're only up to volume three, so it will take several more months to get the rest of the series.

I would also highly recommend Cowboy Bebop. Defeinitely the best series released on DVD in 2000. Very cool animation.

I've been hearing a lot of good things about Gasaraki, but haven't seen it yet. It's supposed to be an intelligent giant robot show a la Evangelion.

J

[This message has been edited by Jason (edited December 31, 2000).]

smartt 01-01-01 12:51 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sartana:
MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, a children's film for adults that's not available on DVD.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I saw a Region 4 version of Totoro recently. Not sure if it's the Australian or Brazilian one, thou.

Gallant Pig 01-01-01 02:03 AM

Where did you see it? or how did you get it? It could be a bootleg (totoro)

smartt 01-02-01 02:32 AM

Saw Totoro in a huge Brazilian megastore, kind of a Virgin Store thing. Didn't looked bootlegged to me, cause the video and sound quality were excellent.

foxdvd 01-02-01 11:51 AM

I also HIGHLY recommend Samurai X, 1 and 2. Go to www.animeondvd.com to read reviews about these two discs. Of all the things out there, Samurai X, or Kenshin is very close to the bloody action in Ninja Scroll, but with much better acting, style, and story.

I also agree that Cowboy Bebop is a great choice. Be sure to read the review of it at the above link as well.

[This message has been edited by foxdvd (edited January 02, 2001).]