DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: The Patriot

Old 10-26-00, 11:49 PM

How is the movie ? The one with Mel Gibson.
Old 10-27-00, 12:09 AM

Movie: mediocre but watchable rehash of "Braveheart."

DVD: Excellent picture and sound, decent extras.

Review link:
http://www.dvdmg.com/patriot.html
Old 10-27-00, 12:42 AM

I have not bought it yet, but I am disappointed now. I thought it is a great movie. Don't know if I should get this dvd or not. ??
Old 10-27-00, 02:32 AM

Go and buy it now. Do not hesitate.
Yes, I liked it.

------------------
Tyler
Old 10-27-00, 05:27 AM

this is the patriot: "my children, my children, where are my children? don't touch my children! noooo!"

that probably summarizes about 75% of the movie. i didn't really think it was similar to braveheart.
Old 10-27-00, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Some sappy dialogue and story line but the battle scenes are very well done. Could have been a great film if cut about half an hour.
Old 10-27-00, 05:36 PM

The begining was a little slow but after it picked up I was glued.

------------------
My little (but growing) list
Old 10-27-00, 05:42 PM
Suspended

I think its a great movie. I didn't catch it in the theatre, but I bought it on Tuesday when it came out, and I've watched it 3 times since so far..

I guess you could compare it to Braveheart, only it's in America instead. The acting is good, the story is good, and a guy gets his head taken off by a cannonball.. what more could ya ask for

it's got some decent extras, the animated menus were done really well, it's got the usual DOlby Digital 5.1, and the picture was really crisp and clear and perfect, I didn't notice a single scratch or white dot blink in ever.

My only complaint is the layer change takes place in the middle of a sceene and is pretty noticable, instead of doing it 5 seconds earlier when it was a fade in/out transition (i think)
Old 10-27-00, 08:24 PM
Banned

Jeyi,
Definitely worth it. Good acting, awesome action, and a great flag waving(literally)pro-American story(not to many of those out there anymore).

I will say this:I have never seen a movie where I hated the "bad" guy more than in this flick. I wanted this guy strung up by his b*lls and skinned. . .never mind. You get the point.

And don't expect any recommendations from the English crowd.

Ethan
Old 10-27-00, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really liked this movie!!! I would recommend purchasing this dvd...I know there are others with a thread ripping this movie...ignore it and decide for yourself!!! Everyone has different tastes in movies so obviously you will have people saying they loved this movie or hated it!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 10-28-00, 05:31 AM
Cool New Member

Beautiful Transfer. Excellent 5.1 I really enjoyed the story and acting. It made me proud to realize what our ancestors went through for our freedom.

Old 10-28-00, 05:31 AM
Cool New Member

It kicked ass enough said.
Old 10-29-00, 12:56 AM

As long as you're not a nut for historical accuracy, you should find this to be a very entertaining film. The DVD is great, too, with deleted scenes (some of which are worthwhile and should have been left in, I think), featurettes, a commentary, etc. Although the movie is nearly 3 hours long, it whizzes by really fast.

--Apparition

P.S. The 2nd time watching it was actually better than the first time, where my appreciation for the film was diminished slightly by my super-high expectations.
Old 10-29-00, 01:20 AM
RVN

Excellent Box Office movie. It has the Hollywood formula ...everything occurs right on cue, the music swells at just the right moment, all the emotions are orchestrated, the action is perfectly synchronized, etc... in fact, every canned element is in place. There is however, enough blood and guts realism juxtaposed with all of this though.

It's got a good story, historically it's accurate enough, the acting is top notch, beautiful cinematography and the action and special effects are great. It's just that it has this over the top, every component is perfect and pushed to the extreme.

It's big time DVD demo material in both departments. Excellent video, beautiful transfer, vivid colors and details. Excellent audio, immense soundstage with lots of ambience and a great percussive tour de force.

I kinda wish they would have named the movie "cannonball run" though.

RVN
Old 10-29-00, 01:38 AM

I have a question for our fellow DVDTalkers over in England.

Did The Patriot even play in the theater over there this summer?

Can't believe anyone of English blood could even stand this movie.
Old 10-29-00, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by videoking:
I have a question for our fellow DVDTalkers over in England.

Did The Patriot even play in the theater over there this summer?

Can't believe anyone of English blood could even stand this movie.

Yeah, especially since we kicked their butts with sticks and stones!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 10-29-00, 11:44 PM

I thought the movie was okay.

Basically, it was a PG-13 Braveheart with a Full House touch added to it.
Old 10-30-00, 12:59 AM

Put the combination of both Braveheart & Last Of The Mohicans, there you have it.

------------------
From Movies to Microchips, Uncle Sam led the way
Old 10-30-00, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Basically, it was a PG-13 Braveheart with a Full House touch added to it"

I'm pretty sure this was R, not only did that guy's head get taken off by a cannonball, but another shot took off 3 or 4 guy's legs. Plus Mel hacked & cut up quite a few people with his tomahawk. I thought the movie was very entertaining. I found myself yelling at the bad guys & in anticipation of the "let's go get those bastards" scenes. GREAT 5.1 sound, I especially like the fights in the woods where you could hear the redcoats talking & yelling all around you.
Old 10-31-00, 04:06 PM

I've never understood why people compare this movie to Braveheart. It's a TOTALLY different story. Just because Mel Gibson stars in a semi-historical period piece doesn't make it a Braveheart clone.

I agree with the person who said this movie has a villain you love to hate. It's a good movie, but not a great movie. And for those who must compare it to Braveheart - it's no where near as good. Braveheart was especially moving and entertaining in ways this movie can't even come close to matching.

Gonnosuke
Old 10-31-00, 10:26 PM

Well, I picked it up sight-unseen as I am a Gibson fan. So far this is the ONLY truly watchable film Emmerich and Devlin (director and producer) has had anything to do with (INDEPENDENCE DAY was crap, GODZILLA sucked, and STARGATE was mediocre at best). I was definitely surprised at how good the movie was (though I don't think it was great as many are claiming it is), and did find it enjoyable to watch.

As far as comparing it to BRAVEHEART, here is why I believe people are doing it. Similar themes of countries wanting freedom, both star Mel Gibson, both have huge battlefield sequences, and Mel Gibson's character in each starts his quest out of revenge (not out of being Patriotic to his country).

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~prefect.asp
Old 10-31-00, 11:01 PM

Thank you guys for all of the input. I am going to buy it tomorrow.
Old 11-01-00, 10:54 AM

Just watched the DVD last night. Enjoyed it, but it was about 30 minutes too long. Could have cut the sappy rally scene in the church where the young girl guilts all the cowards in town to join up... Great battlefield action and some really good CG stuff on the Charleston harbor. Braveheart was better. This movie had a lot of the same elements and themes, but the directing in Braveheart was much better.

TJ
Old 11-01-00, 11:08 AM
Suspended

Yeah.. This movie did a heluva job making you hate the bad guy.. better than almost any I can think of.. I wanted tavington drawn and quartered by the end of the film
Old 11-02-00, 10:51 AM

While watching The Patriot, It felt like watching Braveheart again. This made it difficult to fully enjoy watching this movie. Though I say this, I still think The Patriot is a great war drama. The acting and story was excellent. Mel Gibson delivers a great performances. The action and battle sequences ware incredible. I was very impressed. Overrall, I give The Patriot an A-/B+.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.