Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

needed: reviews of Ang Lee movies.

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

needed: reviews of Ang Lee movies.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-00, 08:27 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all the buzz about cropuching tiger hidden dragon i realized i havre not seen any other ang lee films. Can you guys post some reviews of these.
Sense and Sensibility
Ice Storm
Ride With the Devil
and any more
Old 12-19-00, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

on a scale of 1 to 10, i'd give sense and sensibility an 8, ice storm a 7 (even though i think it was a more meaningful film), eat drink man woman an 8, wedding banquet a 7 1/2. haven't seen ride with the devil. for reference i gave crouching tiger, hidden dragon a 10 on www.imdb.com
Old 12-19-00, 05:54 AM

"Ice Storm" has by far been my favorite Ang Lee film. I also liked Sense and Sensibility, alot too. "Ride with the Devil" though, left me feeling a little saddle sore, I gave up before that one was over. Lee is a great director. What I also notice about his work, is that he's amazing at totally capturing an era when he makes a film. All of his movies have been quite authentic.

------------------
Oh my Nuts! N-V-T-S!
Old 12-19-00, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought S&S and Icestorm were excellent. I was a little disappointed in Ride With the Devil. The actors were a little lightweight for that kind of story, and it struck me as a little mannered for a Civil War era story.
Old 12-20-00, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Matt Parks:
I thought S&S and Icestorm were excellent. I was a little disappointed in Ride With the Devil. The actors were a little lightweight for that kind of story, and it struck me as a little mannered for a Civil War era story.
<HR>

that tends to be his style for actors though. well, i need to check out ride with the devil since i've seen all his other films.
Old 12-20-00, 11:50 AM

Sense and Sensibility is excellent...one of my favorite movies. The DVD is a must buy if you're an Ang Lee fan. It has two commentary tracks one with Ang Lee and James Schamus and the other with Emma Thompson and the producer. Both of them are funny entertaining and informative. Also includes a couple of deleted scenes, the trailer and a few other trailers from other Emma Thompson movies. One of them has Helena Bonham Carter in it. After seeing her in Fight Club I thought it was amusing to see her in one of those English drama films.
Old 12-20-00, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Another vote for Sense & Sensibility...it has wonderful performances all around and Emma Thompson's script is superb, plus her commentary is very funny and enjoyable. The dvd has some interesting extras including Emma Thompson's acceptance speech at the golden globe awards.

Afraid I haven't had the chance to see Ang Lee's other films, but I can't recommend S&S enough (and I was never much into reading Jane Austen either)

Michael

------------------
Look what you've done to me!
Old 12-20-00, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen and enjoyed all of Ang Lee's films
except Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. He's
one of my favorite active directors. My two
favorites are Eat Drink Man Woman and Ride
With the Devil.
Old 12-21-00, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really enjoyed Ride with the Devil.
Old 12-22-00, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by revolver:
One of them has Helena Bonham Carter in it. After seeing her in Fight Club I thought it was amusing to see her in one of those English drama films.
<HR>

Honestly, I had never seen Helena Bonham Carter in anything other than what can be considered a "period piece," until Fight Club. She was in Twelfth Night(fantastic movie with a few S&S cast members--eagerly awaiting a DVD...) as well as S&S.

Anyway, Sens and Sensibility is funny, kind of sweet, and just a great film. Definately worth a purchase.
Old 12-22-00, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Check Helena Bonham Carter out in some of my favorite movies..Zefirrelli's Hamlet with Mel Gibson, Howard's End (absolutely wonderful film) with Anthony Hopkins, Emma Thompson, and the aforementioned Ms. Carter, and A Room With A View (which I have never managed to catch but hear is also spectacular)...she is also in Wings of a dove (think that's right) which I was a bit lukewarm over at the time i saw it.

One of my favorite actresses along with Emma Thompson

Michael

------------------
Look what you've done to me!
Old 12-22-00, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by bocaj1:
With all the buzz about cropuching tiger hidden dragon i realized i havre not seen any other ang lee films. Can you guys post some reviews of these.

Ice Storm
<HR>

The Ice Storm: think American Beauty but vastly superior in almost every way. How The Ice Storm wasn't even nominated for Best Picture when it was released while American Beauty won a few years later, I just don't understand.
Old 12-22-00, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by dhmac:
The Ice Storm: think American Beauty but vastly superior in almost every way. How The Ice Storm wasn't even nominated for Best Picture when it was released while American Beauty won a few years later, I just don't understand.
<HR>

American Beauty was a much more polished movie, with slicker hooks (the music, the witty lines, the exaggerated actions). Ice Storm was much subtler and raw in its message. In that why, I found that it had much more "bite", but I can see why the academy would choose American Beauty and not Ice Storm. Ang Lee has a subtlety about his movies that is his trademark. Even CTHD was subtle, except for the action sequences.

Old 03-18-01, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by dhmac
Agree with that!
Thought this post could use a bump with The Ice Storm released this past week. Unfortunately my copy has not yet shipped from buy.com

From http://www.imdb.com

Director - filmography
(2000s) (1990s)

Wo hu zang long (2000)
... aka Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) (USA: original subtitled version)
... aka Gua hu chang long (2000)
... aka Wo hu cang long (2000) (China: Mandarin title)
... aka Wo hu chang long (2000)

Ride with the Devil (1999/I)
Ice Storm, The (1997)
Sense and Sensibility (1995)
Yin shi nan nu (1994)
... aka Eat Drink Man Woman (1994) (USA)
Hsi yen (1993)
... aka Wedding Banquet, The (1993)
Tui shou (1992)
... aka Pushing Hands (1992)

I think The Ice Storm is definitely a 10.
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon I would give a 9.
I would give both Ride With the Devil and The Wedding Banquet 7s.
Ride With the Devil was not as good as I was expecting, but I like Tobey Maguire, so it was fun watching him spout a bad southern accent, and the film did have its moments. I saw The Wedding Banquet when it first came out on video, and only saw it once, so I don't remember many details, but it was a very subtle good film. Maybe I would give it an 8 if I saw it again. (And maybe Ride With the Devil should really be a 6...depends on what mood I'm in).

Haven't seen any of the others.
I have Sense and Sensibility sitting on my to be wathced pile though.
Old 03-20-01, 02:32 PM

I adore Ang Lee. Somehow I watched Eat Drink Man Woman my freshman year of college, and I was hooked. There's his "Father Knows Best Trilogy," Pushing Hands, Eat Drink Man Woman, and The Wedding Banquet, His movie-for-money (his words) Sense and Sensibility, Ride with the Devil, and now Crouching Tiger. My all time favorite is EDMW, and I think PH is something you have to see after you are really familiar with his work, but the rest are fantastic as well. Even if you dislike one of movies in general, his films all have the same creative camera work and incredibly well developed characters and is worth seeing. If you are working back from having seen Crouching Tiger, I would try RWTD next, then S&S, EDMW, TWB, PH, and TIS.

Ride With the Devil is based on the book Woe to Live On (?), and is sort of an "untold civil war" saga, concentrating on the less well defined border states. Long, but watch it in one go.

Sense and Sensibility has been thoroughly well described already.

Eat Drink Man Woman is fabulous. It's about the changing of a family's roles and relationships in modern Taiwan (traditional ideas v Modern ideas). Three Daughters who are incredibly different, and their father, an older master chef. Very true, very funny, very yummy.

The Wedding Banquet is another culture clash, traditional Taiwanese parents visiting their (secretly) gay son to arrange his wedding. Well worth tracking down.

Pushing Hands is very dramatic. It is also Ang Lee's first (solo) effort. It's about a father finding out that he is basically out of place with his son and daughter in law in the US. He kind of has to find himself again.

Ice Storm is very similar in theme and mood to American Beauty, but really without the darkly comic aspect that made it easier to bear. It's a heavy film and it can be hard to take it all in at once, but it definitely works best the first time.

Ang Lee is definitely worth taking up if you are into the art of film or a wide body of great films. If you are looking for more martial arts fantasy (at the moment), wrong guy. However, there is an Ang Lee film for every mood, so give it a go.

For More:
Complete Website: http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/Reinab/AngLee.html
don't know who did it, but it's really thorough.

Old 03-20-01, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Precious
I really enjoyed Ride with the Devil.
ditto for me.
Old 03-20-01, 10:56 PM

I just saw The Ice Storm for the very first time and was surprised how similar American Beauty was to this (remember Ice Storm came out first).

They both have similar themes (dysfunctional families), have a similar climactic ending -
Spoiler:
somebody dies
, and they both have this sort of distinctive non-traditional type of music.

The differences were the time periods and American Beauty was more exaggerated to make sure that EVERYBODY gets it while The Ice Storm is a little darker and subtle. I wonder how much "inspiration" the makers of AB got off this movie?
Old 03-21-01, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was really surprised at how good Ride With The Devil was, too. It really slipped by most people's radar. Who knew that I could like a movie with Jewel in a major role?
Old 03-21-01, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jepthah
I was really surprised at how good Ride With The Devil was, too. It really slipped by most people's radar. Who knew that I could like a movie with Jewel in a major role?
Me too. I got this DVD really cheap and I wasn't really expecting much. WoW!! This movie is great. I give it a 9 out of 10. I give Ice Storm an 8, and Crouching Tiger a 9 also.
Old 03-23-01, 12:10 PM

The bad news is Eat,Drink and Wedding Banquet aren't out on DVD yet (R1 anyway.) Pushing Hands is his only early work out, and I highly recommend it.