DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Gone in 60 Seconds...outstanding, good, or sucks?

Old 12-01-00, 11:42 AM
Cool New Member

Toying with the idea of buying this Tuesday IF the price is right and feedback is favorable. Appreciate any insights from those who've seen it. Thanks
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~tbite
Old 12-01-00, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I only had those 3 choice, I'd have to go with sucks, but I would be willing to call it midly entertaining.

The story sucks.

But, there are some decent car chase scenes. Honestly, I think watching the car chase scene in Ronin would be more entertaining than this entire movie though. And, actually the original (This is a remake) had a much better & longer (about half the film) car chase scene.

Old 12-01-00, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're speaking of the Y2K version, yes? The movie is disappointing. I enjoy most Jerry-Bruckheimer-produced flicks like Con Air, The Rock, etc (not Armageddon though). However, GITS has almost no action! There is one decent chase at the end and that's it. Considering the chase is supposed to be the big finale, even that is disappointing.

The story and dialogue were entertaining but not entertaining enough for repeat viewing. A great rental, but bad buy.
Old 12-01-00, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

sucks
Old 12-01-00, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Absolutely putrid!
The worst film that I had to endure this year! The acting is bad. The script is worse. And the director should be drawn and quartered...for starts.

Of course, this is the opinion of a man who believes that Jerry Bruckheimer is the Devil.

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp

My Current Film Noir Count: 90
Old 12-01-00, 07:40 PM

I wanted to catch producer Jerry Bruckheimer's latest film in theaters, but didn't get a chance to over the Summer. While I'm very pleased with Disney's effort on the DVD, it's the movie that ends up being, in my opinion, a dissapointment.

There are some good moments of action during the film, but they're unfortunately few and far between, with the moments "between" them being rather slow at times.

Disney's DVD provides excellent video quality and sound quality that is impressively loud and agressive. Although it's not an assault throughout, at its most intense this really delivers thrilling audio.

Extras aren't bad; we get the trailer in Dolby Digital 5.1 and several interesting featurettes. I would have liked a commentary track, but oh well.

Full DVD Review: Gone In 60 Seconds
Old 12-02-00, 02:40 PM

I thought the movie didn't suck too bad. It's a light spirited comedy, with some cruel characters. It's just like Disney is attempting to go back to the 60's.
Old 12-02-00, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
I'd put it maybe a half star above sucks. I'm in a generous mood.
Old 12-03-00, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well if I liked the movie, how does the DVD compare to previous Bruckheimer titles like the Rock or Con Air?

------------------
"I've done some...questionable things, but nothing the God of biomechanics wouldn't let you into heaven for."

- Blade Runner
Old 12-03-00, 02:11 PM
Banned

The title refers to how long this masterpiece of bad cinema will stay in memory once it's over.
Old 12-03-00, 02:43 PM

Good... but you have to be a fan of the people involved. Otherwise, probably would not like it...

------------------
Tyler
Old 12-04-00, 05:45 PM

I once read that Jerry Bruckheimer is the David O. Selznick of mindless blockbusters....I'm starting to belive it.

You must admit that Eleanor is beautiful!
Old 12-04-00, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

** SPOILER **

You know what I don't get, how exactly can a car (even a souped up one) outrun a helicopter? I mean, why doesn't the helicopter just fly higher up so it can still keep track of the car down there, and guide the police personnel to it? What's up with that?
Old 12-05-00, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:
Originally posted by huzefa:
** SPOILER **

You know what I don't get, how exactly can a car (even a souped up one) outrun a helicopter? I mean, why doesn't the helicopter just fly higher up so it can still keep track of the car down there, and guide the police personnel to it? What's up with that?

Ahh, but you see, that takes sensibility, something that was "(insert title of movie here)."

------------------
"I've done some...questionable things, but nothing the God of biomechanics wouldn't let you into heaven for."

- Blade Runner
Old 12-06-00, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

... and being a bit familiar with the subject, when a police helicopter involves itself in a pursuit, they usually fly just a wee bit higher than 20 feet off the ground...

On a suck scale of 1-10, 1 being Top Gun and 10 being the crappiest movie in the history of the world, GI60S is about an 8...
Old 12-06-00, 03:00 PM
Cool New Member

To be fair you have to remember that he totally lost the air survellance when he drove under the airport and the helicopter wasn't allowed to fly through the airport airspace. But hey, specificity is highly over rated.
Scope!

[This message has been edited by Scope7.62 (edited December 06, 2000).]
Old 12-06-00, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked this flick, If you want to see a bad movie watch the original. However the last half hour of the original is pretty cool. Gotta love that Shelby!

------------------
"Save the neck fer me Clark"
Old 12-06-00, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by EvilDeadAsh:
I liked this flick, If you want to see a bad movie watch the original. However the last half hour of the original is pretty cool. Gotta love that Shelby!

yeah. The Original is bad, but the last car chase scene in the original is 100 times better than the car chase scenes in the remake.
Old 12-06-00, 11:46 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought the movie was great....but you have to be a fan of Bruckheimer films. It is shallow, but I had fun watching it. Bruckheimer just wants to entertain you in his films...not win an oscar.

wlj
Old 12-07-00, 07:20 AM
Banned

I agree with wlj. I thought it was fun to watch and those cars are beautiful! Yes , especially the Shelby.
Old 12-09-00, 09:22 AM
Suspended pending working email is provided.

Sucks!
Old 12-09-00, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pretty damn bad. Special mention for Christopher Ecclestonís villain (I forget the character name). Without a doubt one of the worst, most embarrasing cringeworthy performances I can remember seeing. Maybe itís a UK thing but he should have followed Vinnie Jonesí example and kept his mouth shut.
Old 12-09-00, 06:29 PM

cool cars.....thats it, cool cars!
movie COULD have been way beter. very UNREAL
looking car jump. if you dig car flicks, rent
this, if you really really LOVE car flicks buy it. If your not really into car flicks, spend your money on a oil change.
Old 12-10-00, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd put this as one of those stupid, dumb movies I love. I've always been disapointed with the previous Bruckheimer movies since The Rock (probably because my expectations were high), but this one I expected little and enjoyed immmensely. It's dumb, it looks good, there's lots of pretty cars, and, well, it's a two hour music video essentially. Bad dialogue, fun movie.
Old 12-11-00, 09:41 PM

I am a sucker for mindless Bruckheimer flix, too. I agree it is a renter not a buyer. It needed to show more of the cars. Some of the stuff was inaccurate like the Benz keys were not for the cars shown.

One of the things I thought was cool was teh "roadrunner" in the window, was that paying hommage to H.I. McDonnaugh?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.