DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Reviews and Recommendations (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations-8/)
-   -   Review Wanted : Neil Young - Red Rocks Live (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews-recommendations/73530-review-wanted-neil-young-red-rocks-live.html)

Decker 12-05-00 05:41 PM

I've just been informed that this disc was released today; I had no idea it was coming out. I'm not even sure of the name, as Amazon calls it "Neil Young - Friends & Relatives". I know there are some Neil Young fans in this forum. Does anyone have this disc yet? Is it any good? How's the picture and sound?
I was a little disappointed in "Silver & Gold" (too low key and too brief). I hope this one is better; I know it's a longer show.

theWitcher 12-06-00 07:34 AM

The real title is apparently either Red Rocks Live - Friends And Relatives or Red Rocks Live - Neil Young - Friends And Relatives.

It's a fine disk. Video picture quality similar to Silver And Gold, 16x9 enhanced. Three audio mixes -- DD & dts 5.1, PCM Stereo. It sounds great. Lyrics are encoded on the subtitle track. There is even a photo gallery.

The running time is almost exactly 2 hrs. I can't recall any songs that would be missing from his recent Music In Head tour. Apparently, it is the complete concert. It also rains during the show, similar to Bob Dylan's Hard Rain concert special -- which was also filmed at Red Rocks.

It certainly rocks more than S&G, but since I can't really imagine being disappointed in that disk I don't know for sure you'd dig it. Terrific band ("friends" including Ben Keith, Duck Dunn, Spooner Oldham, and Jim Keltner) give these songs a sound similar to the Stray Gators. Background vocals by "relatives" Pegi Young (wife) and Astrid Young (sister). Neil plays several songs that I don't think he's played in yrs: "Motorcycle Mama," "Peace Of Mind," "Walk On," "Words," "Winterlong," etc. plus a long, f*cked-up "Cowgirl In The Sand" which is almost worth the $20 price tag.

It is certainly a nice contrast to the two extremes of the other Neil DVDs: Silver & Gold and Year Of The Horse.

Decker 12-06-00 10:49 AM

Thank you so much for your detailed review! I'll be buying it as soon as today. Maybe I was too hard on S&G, it was very good, but it was very mellow. I hope this one rocks a little more. Thanks again for your input.

P.S., I've avoided Year of the Horse, as I had heard some negative things about both the movie and the DVD. Any thoughts on that one?

theWitcher 12-07-00 10:56 AM

There's nothing to complain about with the Year Of The Horse DVD -- the image quality isn't especially impressive, but that's because the movie was constructed from old footage shot over 20 yrs and new Super 8 and video footage shot by Jim Jarmusch. I don't know that it could look any better, though -- it is anamorphic.

The sound is terrific -- like RRL there are DD and dts 5.1 soundtracks plus a PCM track, and it rocks. Additionally, there is 45 minutes of bonus interview footage as a supplement.

I've seen mixed opinions on the movie itself, but I think it's great. There is quite a bit of concert footage -- the climactic "Like A Hurricane" features footage of the Horse playing the tune in '75, '85, and '95 -- but there is also a lot of behind-the-scenes goofiness and interviews -- both with the Horse, and people like manager Elliot Roberts and Neil's dad Scott Young.

I'm a big fan of both Jarmusch and Neil, and I'll probably buy every single DVD that Neil releases. So there you go. If you've got the IFC channel, the movie is airing quite a few times this month.