Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews Wanted: It's a Wonderful Life and High Noon!

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reviews Wanted: It's a Wonderful Life and High Noon!

Old 05-21-00, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-00, 08:06 PM

I'm amazed at how good High Noon looks and sounds. They've done a terrific restoration job with breathtaking video and I didn't think the mono source material could sound so good. The special features on the disc are very good too. Considering this is one of the classic Westerns and a great DVD, it's a must have.

------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"
Old 05-21-00, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently watched High Noon and also thought it was very good. It has a Trailer, Production Stills and Making Of with Leonard Maltin.

Never watched Its a Wonderful Life on Dvd.
Old 05-22-00, 03:26 AM

I watched It's a Wonderful Life on Christmas Eve with the family. A nice job all around. After years of TV prints (and broadcast snow), I was very happy with the DVD version. During the holiday season I found a TV station that was broadcasting it and synched the DVD up with the TV (picture in picture is handy for that). The quality difference was very obvious. If you like the movie, I wouldn't hesitate to get it. It also has a 30 minute documentary and the trailer.
Old 11-30-00, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts
Thought I would bump this up since it is X-mas time & It's a Wonderful Life is a great holiday movie.

Watched my copy the other night & was very impressed with the transfer. The case states it is THX certified (we know that doesn't mean much nowadays) but the picture was a lot cleaner than I remembered the numerous viewing that I have seen on the tube & on vhs. The sound is 1 channel mono & is not great but passable.

I was again impressed with how well this movie holds up with the present. There are tons of funny moments that I still found myself laughing at.

The extras on on the flipside & they are the trailer (which is awful; you can see why audiences would not want to see it) & 2 makings of. The first making of is the best & is hosted by Tom Bosley. It runs approx 22 minutes & has some good trivia. The 2nd is hosted by Frank Capra Jr. & it runs approx 15 min. It is most repetitive of the first special but is still nice to have.

The movie is full-screen which is the original format it was released in, I believe. Add this flick to your DVD holiday buying list!
Old 11-30-00, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's my review of High Noon (not that it's a christmas movie or anything).

------------------
Read my DVDTalk Reviews Here...
You know you want buskerdog.com -- T-shirts and stuff
Old 11-30-00, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Speaking just about the movie itself and not to the technical aspects of the dvd, I'm rather surprised at how much I've grown towards this movie. I never liked it at all when I was younger, but I watched it a few months ago on dvd and really enjoyed it quite a bit; plan to watch it again by christmas. It was definitely a different world in a Frank Capra film...dark at times yet wholly innocent...a time and place that never existed is what I thought as a kid; yet now it's something I yearn towards when compared to the violent world inhabited by today's movies. This is all in all a perfect film.

Michael

------------------
Look what you've done to me!
Old 11-30-00, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a Wonderful Life is the best looking pre-1950 b&w film I have seen on DVD. [Casablanca ranks second, IMO, with Oliver Twist a very strong third] The image is reference-quality pristine, and the grey values are as vividly rendered as any movie its age you will find in the format. Shadow detail, sharpness, contrast, etc. are all perfect. The film looks positively spanking new.

High Noon also looks excellent, and garners similar praise from me as an exemplary specimen of its kind.

BUY 'EM!

------------------
"The important thing for a star is to have an interesting face. He doesn't have to move it very much. Editing and camerawork can always produce the desired illusion that a performance is being given." --George Sanders.

[This message has been edited by Sykes (edited November 30, 2000).]
Old 12-01-00, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Sykes:
It's a Wonderful Life is the best looking pre-1950 b&w film I have seen on DVD. [Casablanca ranks second, IMO, with Oliver Twist a very strong third] The image is reference-quality pristine, and the grey values are as vividly rendered as any movie its age you will find in the format. Shadow detail, sharpness, contrast, etc. are all perfect. The film looks positively spanking new.

High Noon also looks excellent, and garners similar praise from me as an exemplary specimen of its kind.

BUY 'EM!

<HR>

Definitely buy them!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 12-01-00, 08:18 PM
Cool New Member

What Sykes said, vis. It's a Wonderful Life. I screened my copy again just last weekend and spent most of the time simply marveling over the transfer. One doesn't get an acute sense of watching "video" when screening this superb disc. It truly has the look of film; the level of detail and the pristine gradations of grey are dazzling.

Strongly recommended.
Old 12-02-00, 08:47 AM

Since I have reviews of both DVDs, I thought I'd share the links! As a summary, however, I have to say that I agree with the previous comments: both It's A Wonderful Life and High Noon are two strong DVDs, with relatively good picture and sound.

Links:
http://www.dvdmg.com/wonderfullife.html
http://www.dvdmg.com/highnoon.html