DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

need reviews on "Black Sabbath"

Old 11-13-00, 12:23 PM
Banned

Is it worth buying? Is this movie part of a trilogy?

------------------
San Francisco: We have the world's most crooked street; run by the most crooked politicians.
Old 11-13-00, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can read our review of Black Sabbath at: http://www.jaxfilmjournal.com/bmblacksabbath.html

I hope that's helpful to you.

------------------
The Jacksonville Film Journal - http://www.jaxfilmjournal.com/
Old 11-14-00, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you like Hammer or Bava Horror you will definitely like it. I think the middle is the only weak story, and I am in the minority in that. Bava himself said it was the favorite of all his films.

I would highly recommend it but I have wacky taste I Spit on Your Grave, Cannibal Ferox, and Ms 45 are all on my shelf and people HATE them so...

------------------
Further proof of my Obsessive-Compulsion disorder
Old 11-16-00, 05:48 PM

I didn't want to open a new topic, so here's more Bava reviews:

DVD Maniacs review different Bava movie every day this week, including soon-to-be-released by VCI Blood and Black Lace and Whip and the Body.

Also, Mondo Digital has a review of soon-to-be-released by Image Four Times That Night. The review on Black Sabbath is on the same page.

Enjoy!

------------------
- Are you gangsters?
- No. We're Russians.

[This message has been edited by Ashirg (edited November 17, 2000).]
Old 11-18-00, 03:47 PM

Take those DVD Maniacs reviews of VCI's Blood and Black Lace and The Whip and the Body with a grain of salt, since VCI has only sent out VHS screeners minus the extras to review sites. It's obvious from the reviews that they haven't actually seen the discs, even though they never mention it. I always wonder how many sites write "DVD" reviews based on VHS screeners, but in this case it's rather obvious.
Old 11-20-00, 01:51 PM

I actually own a DVD of Black Sabbath and watched it last week. If you're a fan of serious horror (not gore), then you will find it wonderful. The photography is first-rate, and the entire movie gives you a feeling of dread and menace. This new DVD version is different than the bastardized AIP version released in the U.S. in the mid-sixties (and later to TV and tape), in that the three tales are shown in the order the Italians intended.
Old 11-22-00, 12:58 AM

Kudos to Image Entertainment for giving us Black Sabbath. I had purchasedthe Italian vhs as well as the Thorn/EMI video version (which is the same as the AIP US film). It would have been great to also have the A.I.P. print on DVD, just to hear Boris Karloff in his native tongue. I know MGM has the rights to certain A.I.P. titles.. I wonder if they own Black Sabbath?
Old 11-23-00, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by Darryl:
It would have been great to also have the A.I.P. print on DVD, just to hear Boris Karloff in his native tongue.

Yeah I have the disc and they dubbed Karloff BACK into english. WTF? I guess they lost the original track. Apparently they dubbed the english into italian and now back to english. Regardless it is a very little issue and does not detract (IMO) from the overall quality of the DVD.

Ummm... for those that don't know Karloff had a lisp. Thats why me and Darryl are a little disappointed.

------------------
Old 11-23-00, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by Ashirg:
soon-to-be-released by VCI Blood and Black Lace and Whip and the Body.

DELAYED!!! Not just these two but the Bava boxset as well.

------------------