DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review Wanted: Year Of The Horse (Neil Young)

Old 11-18-00, 05:16 PM
RVN

Did anybody pick this up and care to comment?

RVN
Old 11-18-00, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just took a look at this one today. This is a must for any neil young fans, especially in his crazy horse mode. Jarmush takes you into the group - you see some very tense moments between band members but also sense the respect and love they have for each other. The music is what you'd expect from this group and the sound is excellent, with a dts track. The tour-de-force is the hurricane song where they edit a 1976 performance with one 20 years later - it is really amazing. extras are interviews and trailers.
Old 11-19-00, 09:26 AM

I did not pay much attention to the documentary aspects but if you are a fan of Neil Young and Crazy Horse guitar playing you will really like this DVD. They are in great form. At 48 minutes it could have been a little longer.

Mike
Old 11-20-00, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Brez - look a little closer at this dvd - the 48 minutes is only the extra interview segments. The Year of the Horse is a full length, l09 minute, feature film.
Old 11-21-00, 12:38 AM

bdots48,

I just checked and you are correct. I don't know where I got the 48 minutes from. 108 minutes, all the more reason to get the DVD.

Mike
Old 11-21-00, 06:49 AM
Banned

Anybody know the track list for this title? - thanks
Old 11-21-00, 09:39 PM
RVN

I found a couple of dissimilar reviews. They both contend that this title is for the diehard Neil Young fan.

Colossus Review Year Of The Horse

Wall Of Sound Review Year Of The Horse

RVN
Old 11-22-00, 10:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RVN:
I found a couple of dissimilar reviews. They both contend that this title is for the diehard Neil Young fan.

Colossus Review Year Of The Horse

Wall Of Sound Review Year Of The Horse

RVN

Actually, that second link is a review for the CD, which I recommend heartily. It's probably my favorite Neil Young live album and includes the Crazy Horse version of "Pocahantas." Sweet!

I suppose the movie could be tedious for those not into the Horse, but I can't imagine why anyone would be interested in this title if they aren't Horse and/or Jarmusch fans. It's loud and it rocks. I can't really give an opinion on if the video quality is "good" or not, but it looks like how it was projected in the theater where I saw it. (Much of it is shot on Super 8, for godsakes.) And I don't recall too many people walking out, but my eyes were glued to the screen.

And Neil fans should be aware of the DVD that is supposed to street in a couple of weeks. Apparently it is a live DVD of a Red Rocks show where the band was soaked by rain [ala Hard Rain.] The band that backed Neil on his recent tour was sublime, and this DVD should serve as an excellent contrast to the extremes of Neil, as represented by the two disks currently available--> solo acoustic Silver and Gold and Crazy Horse Year Of The Horse.