DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Was U-571 a good movie?

Old 11-10-00, 04:23 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great movie for DVD, and that's it! seems like nowadays, there has to be two ratings, one for the movie and one for the DVD (the transfer, the extras). U-571 will be one hell of a DVD (great sound, picture) but to answer your question, it is not a good movie.

story was weak, and there is no suspense build up at all. the usually good harvey keitel and matt mcconaughey were wasted by a weak script.
Old 11-10-00, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by lakan kildap:
great movie for DVD, and that's it! seems like nowadays, there has to be two ratings, one for the movie and one for the DVD (the transfer, the extras). U-571 will be one hell of a DVD (great sound, picture) but to answer your question, it is not a good movie.

story was weak, and there is no suspense build up at all. the usually good harvey keitel and matt mcconaughey were wasted by a weak script.
<HR>

Exactly.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 11-11-00, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,286 Likes on 788 Posts
It is worth a rental but I would not buy it...
Old 11-12-00, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sorry...what was that? I was trying to read the conversation about U-571 and much like my reaction to the movie itself, I fell sound asleep. I don't get this thing about two different ratings for a movie and the DVD. For me, if the movie sucked, then no amount of extras or great picture or sound quality is going to save a movie on DVD.

------------------
"He sold out! They're all the same! Promises, Promises! You elect them and they weasel out of their promises." - Sally Brown in "You're Elected Charlie Brown."
Old 11-12-00, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by badger1997:
Sorry...what was that? I was trying to read the conversation about U-571 and much like my reaction to the movie itself, I fell sound asleep. I don't get this thing about two different ratings for a movie and the DVD. For me, if the movie sucked, then no amount of extras or great picture or sound quality is going to save a movie on DVD.

<HR>

I think it's a question of seperating the technical quality of the DVD and the quality of the film itself. Of course if the quality of the film is bad the no matter how good the DVD is technically it's not worth buying. Since I was not impressed with this film I decided I was not going to buy it no matter how good the DVD itself is.

Of course if I can pick it up at a bargain basement price then I won't hesitate to pick it up.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 11-13-00, 10:35 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by cloud:
I think it's a question of seperating the technical quality of the DVD and the quality of the film itself. Of course if the quality of the film is bad the no matter how good the DVD is technically it's not worth buying. Since I was not impressed with this film I decided I was not going to buy it no matter how good the DVD itself is.

<HR>

I didn't care too much for the film, but I bought the DVD for the extras. Being a WWII buff, I wanted to see the interviews with the veterans, and historical footage of the enigma machines.

So I, for one, think it is worthwhile to buy a DVD for the extras. Heck, the only reason I'm buying A Perfect Storm is to hear the commentary with Sebastian Junger.
Old 11-14-00, 07:20 AM

IS this film supposed to be based on fact? If so... Hmmm I think not! What Americans!