Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review posted: Africa: The Serengeti (IMAX)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review posted: Africa: The Serengeti (IMAX)

Old 09-08-00, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,377 Likes on 1,335 Posts
Narrated by James Earl Jones, this is probably the most impressive IMAX I have yet seen. It features some absolutely fantastic photography and a very solid 1.33:1 (remastered from the IMAX standard 1.44:1) image transfer. The real jewel here is the sound mix. The surrounds are constantly in use with the ambient sounds of wildlife and with Hans Zimmer's wonderful original score.

See my complete review here.

------------------
"I will not be threatened by a walking meat loaf!"

DVD reviewer for digitallyOBSESSED.com
Old 11-10-00, 05:25 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the splash of water as the hippo breaks to the surface right in the middle of the water birds is as realistic as it gets. Of all DVDs I watched, this is the one where Dolby Digital is almost indistinguishable from DTS in resolution (Serengeti does not come in DTS). Awesome sound.

If The Serengeti was one's first IMAX DVD, then he's thoroughly spoiled and assumes they're all like this: utterly amazing images and right-in-the-middle-of-it-all sound. The few I tried that are also based on recent material are just as good; "Alaska" is right up there, and "The Living Sea" on DTS just leaves me speechless. (Incidentally, I watched "The Living Sea" just before I watched "Perfect Storm" in the movie house, so I appreciated what those Coast Guard rescue swimmers were trying to do.) The rest of the IMAX titles are not as excellent as these three, obviously due to the older material on which they're based, but they're very, very good nonetheless.
Old 11-10-00, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by JustinS:
Narrated by James Earl Jones, this is probably the most impressive IMAX I have yet seen. It features some absolutely fantastic photography and a very solid 1.33:1 (remastered from the IMAX standard 1.44:1) image transfer. The real jewel here is the sound mix. The surrounds are constantly in use with the ambient sounds of wildlife and with Hans Zimmer's wonderful original score.

See my complete review here.

<HR>

I would agree with you.....this title is one of the best in the series!!!

Living Sea is pretty awesome also!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 11-10-00, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,377 Likes on 1,335 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by lakan kildap:
the splash of water as the hippo breaks to the surface right in the middle of the water birds is as realistic as it gets. Of all DVDs I watched, this is the one where Dolby Digital is almost indistinguishable from DTS in resolution (Serengeti does not come in DTS). Awesome sound.<HR>

I just reviewed Dolphins as well.

http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/showreview.php3?ID=673

Dolphins is another IMAX release from director/producer Greg MacGillivray and Image Entertainment, the same partnership that brought us The Living Sea, Everest, Stormchasers, and others.

Dolphins does feature both DTS and DD5.1 tracks and the DTS track definitely wins out on clarity and channel separation. However, because Africa: The Serengeti features much more aggressive use of the surround channels it is still the best-sounding IMAX DVD I have heard thus far, DTS or no.

------------------
"A lie can travel half-way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." - Mark Twain