DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

First Look Review: Fox's "Anna and the King" SE

Old 09-28-00, 09:13 AM

I've been up since around 11pm yesterday going through and reviewing Fox's new special edition for "Anna and the King". I didn't see the film in theaters, but I found it to be a very enjoyable and entertaining film with a great performance from Chow Yun-Fat. I'm suprised, after watching it, that it didn't do better at the box office.

Fox's DVD presentation is also very good. The image quality for the disc is among the best efforts from the studio, and the sound quality is also very solid and occasionally agressive. The special features include commentary from Tennant, a group of featurettes, deleted scenes w/commentary and music video/trailer.

If you would like to read the full review, please visit the link below.

DVD Review: Anna and the King - SE
Old 10-01-00, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am looking forward to this disc. I have to say that I was fortunate to see this in the theatre and it was breathtaking.

Chow Yun Fat was excellent in his role....
I have read other reviewers say that they wish they had seen this in the theatre and I would have to say.... yes, it was definitely a hidden treat visually. I loved it!

Very good review.
Old 10-02-00, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info guys. I too am looking forward to this title. It's about time too.

The sets were maginificent and the actors did a very good job I thought. Top class enteratinment.

------------------
Regards...

John 3:16
Old 10-02-00, 09:41 PM

Well I didn't care for the original version of this movie, nor the recent animated version but I'm definitely buying the new one. I'm a big fan of Chow Yun-Fat and I've heard the movie is excellent. Besides, my wife likes the other two so she wants this one as well.

------------------
"Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them. I don't give a f*** how crazy they are."

CDTracker
DVDProfiler
DVDTracker
Old 11-03-00, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just viewed my dvd this evening...outstanding transfer....audio is also very good although most of the film is dialogue driven!!! There are however spots within the film which show off the 5.1 soundtrack!!! I really enjoyed the story....now I have to find some time to see all of the extras on the disc!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 11-03-00, 09:29 AM

I only watched a small portion of it last night (the scene where they were first entering the palace) but it seemed kind of "soft" to me... I was trying out a new player and haven't hooked up the old one again to double check it yet. Did anyone else get this impression though
Old 11-03-00, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

gotdvd?: "...I didn't care for the original version of this movie..."

...erm... which 'original version?

* "Anna and the King of Siam" (TCF / 1946, starring Irene Dunne & Rex Harrison) ?

* "The King and I" (TCF / 1956, the Rodgers & Hammerstein musical starring Deborah Kerr & Yul Brynner) ?

* (being basically a kindhearted person I will refrain from mentioning the recent animated abomination - let it die a deserved death in peace...)

... ? ! ...

[This message has been edited by Hendrik (edited November 03, 2000).]
Old 11-03-00, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by nemein:
I only watched a small portion of it last night (the scene where they were first entering the palace) but it seemed kind of "soft" to me... I was trying out a new player and haven't hooked up the old one again to double check it yet. Did anyone else get this impression though

Not at all....I thought the transfer was very nice and clean!!!!

------------------

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 11-03-00, 11:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by djones6746:

Not at all....I thought the transfer was very nice and clean!!!!

I was afraid of that I'll have to try it in the old player and make sure something isn't wrong w/the new one Pitch Black looked pretty good though...
Old 11-03-00, 12:58 PM

nemein, I don't think you're alone about the DVD picture being "soft." Here's a thread in the Home Theater Forum where they are discussing that very thing.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/019976.html

I got the DVD yesterday but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I loved this movie in the theater so I'm looking forward to watching it again.

Old 11-03-00, 03:18 PM

I just got this dvd and watched it. It is a beautiful film and I am glad that I ordered this movie. The only thing I don't like about this dvd is the Widescreen Aspect Ratio(s): - 2.35:1. It only use haft of my 50" tv screen. I hate this format.

Why can't they do Aspect Ratio(s): 1.85:1 ? Is it impossible for some movies to be in this kind of format because the way the movie was made ???

Old 11-03-00, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by jeyi:
I just got this dvd and watched it. It is a beautiful film and I am glad that I ordered this movie. The only thing I don't like about this dvd is the Widescreen Aspect Ratio(s): - 2.35:1. It only use haft of my 50" tv screen. I hate this format.

Why can't they do Aspect Ratio(s): 1.85:1 ? Is it impossible for some movies to be in this kind of format because the way the movie was made ???

This movie like many being released is anamorphic widescreen so the aspect ratio does not matter as much if you are able to view this movie on a 16X9 television!!! Which is my next purchase in the near future!!! I viewed Anna and the King on a 53" Sony....I do not mind at all that this film's aspect ratio was 2:35:1. I realize on a 4:3 television that this means a large portion of your screen is not being used but I would much rather watch it this way then in full screen. Now I just need to put aside about 2,500 for a nice 16X9 HDTV...hope to purchase this in the next couple of years when the prices will have fallen!!!

------------------

Barney Fife
Old 11-03-00, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by nemein:

Widescreen Review also felt it was soft but the overall picture nicely detailed...read the review!!!

From Widescreen Review:
Story Synopsis:

Based on the diaries of Anaa Leonowens, Anna And The King departs from the usual musical treatment of these memories and is played as a straight drama. Starring Jodie Foster as Anna and Chow Yun-Fat as the King of Siam, we are treated to lovely costumes and gorgeous scenery as we watch the English schoolteacher attempt to fit in with the Siamese customs while she educates the 58 children of King Mongkut. As Anna struggles with her adjustment, The King has his own lessons to learn in the ways of the West.

DVD Picture:

The anamorphically enhanced 2.35:1 DVD exhibits a lovely picture. Images are a bit soft, but detail is nicely rendered. Interior colors within the palace are often rich with burgundies, and warm with golds, but sometimes accented with bold reds. Otherwise, throughout the color scheme, hues are nicely balanced with full saturation. Contrast and shadow delineation are nicely rendered. The finer details, often noticed in costumes, occasionally shimmer. While mostly the picture has a soft, easy appearance, there are a few scenes that are a bit "digital" with some pixelization evident. Edge enhancement is present, and is occasionally bothersome. Minor artifacts are apparent. Overall, the picture will surely please with its rich quality.

DVD Soundtrack:

The Dolby® Digital 5.1-channel discrete soundtrack offers a wonderfully spacious and enveloping listening experience, and will surely please and satisfy. Fidelity is commendable, and the soundstage is consistently holosonic throughout with the rendering of background sound effects, largely through convincing split surround engagement. The rich-sounding, textural music score has been very well-recorded, and imparts an impressively engulfing presence, with remarkably expansive screen-based imaging and compelling split surround activity that effectively wraps the ambience around the listener. The dialogue is in general notable, though voices sound just a little more prominent than they should be, and evidence of an ADR production is apparent at times. Deep bass is used to good effect, providing a rich low-end foundation to the music, and the .1 LFE is sparingly engaged, except for the climactic explosion which demands sub-25Hz extension capability and also enlivens the entire soundfield. This is a remarkable sonic production that surely delivers the exemplary virtues of 5.1 surround sound.

This Disc Contains The Following WSR Superb Qualities:

Reference Quality
Superb Music Score Recording Quality
Superb Cinematography

------------------

Barney Fife