Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review wanted: Anatomy of a Murder (1959)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Review wanted: Anatomy of a Murder (1959)

Old 10-04-00, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
The classic Otto Preminger courtroom thriller. Comments on the DVD?
Old 10-04-00, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
I rented this one a couple of months ago. Here's what I remember. It was not presented in widescreen, but rather full frame. The print looked good and clear with no noticeable scratches. The blacks and whites were well-defined. Movie-wise, I was a bit let down by the ending. Back in the 50's, maybe this movie packed more of a punch. It was enjoyable to watch (Stewart was very good), but I don't know as I would watch it over and over again.
Old 10-05-00, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can read the full review at http://www.dvdmg.com/anatomyofamurder.html

------------------
Van T. Tran
DVD Movie Guide
www.dvdmg.com
Old 10-05-00, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Van T Tran,

Thanks for your link to the review. To bad the reviewer cant read the back of the Dvd case and see the Dvd was released in orignal theatrical aspect ratio 1.33:1.

I have had this for a month or so but havent gotten around to watching it yet.
Old 10-07-00, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got around to watching it and loved it. The cast was great, a young George C. Scott and J. Stewart and the others. I know I have seen them in other things but cant place them. Two of the people I knew right away that had small parts were the orignal and best Mr. Wilson From Dennis the Menace and Floyd the barber from the Andy Griffith Show. Overall I would give it 5 out of 5 stars. It is kind of long at 2 hours 40 minutes but I got through it in one sitting which is rare for me in a movie of this length but it was worth it!!!
Old 10-07-00, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

eXcentris,

I dont think I would call this Thriller but a Drama. But very good.
Old 10-09-00, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ernest:

The reviewer can read but the reviewer has seen enough incorrect DVD case listings that he pays them almost no mind whatsoever and consults a number of different sources for information. The reviewer discussed the aspect ratio in his review because the reviewer heard that the original dimensions were 1.85:1. The reviewer doesn't know these dimensions are absolutely correct, but enough different sources said they were to make the reviewer accept them.

The reviewer tries very hard to make sure his facts are correct. If you have any evidence that the original aspect ratio was 1.33:1 - other than what it said on the back of the case - the reviewer would like to hear it because all of the other indications he observed said that it was 1.85:1.

By the way, if you actually watch the DVD, you may notice that although the case may state that the image is OAR, there's a disclaimer that says it's been changed - it's the standard "formatted to fit your screen" deal. This also means little - "Singin' in the Rain" had one although it was always 1.33:1 - but it shows that CTS were confused about it themselves...
Old 10-09-00, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oatsdad,

I went back and looked for the message on Anatomy of a Murder, I guess I missed it the first time, but it was there. I would have had the same questions you had if I had seen that. I guess AOAM is new one to have questions about.

Night of the Hunter 1955 is another that states on cover that it is Standard Version, Theatrical Release Format but when you start it up it has the thing about being modified to fit your screen, etc.

Strangers on a Train has the message when starting up but I doubt this would have been Widescreen in 1951.

Also, Thunder Road 1958. The cover only says Standard Version. When starting up there is NO message about it being modified but there is also nothing on the cover about it being the Theatrical Release Format.