DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

review please? Sleepaway Camp

Old 09-21-00, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got this coming soon via
ebay, but wanted to hear some
thoughts.. I've heard a few
of the hardcore cult SC fans
say they loved the commentary,
but others have said it's not
so great.

Old 09-21-00, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

http://review.dvdtalk.com/reviews/Re...w.asp?sku=1053

However --

Sleepaway Camp - cuts update August 11, 2000 7:18 am ET
As of right now Anchor Bay's official position is "we're looking into it". However, a user was kind enough to send me an email with all the details of cuts that he found old by doing a direct, picture-to-picture comparison between the old Media VHS tape and the new Anchor Bay DVD. Basically, he has CONFIRMED THERE ARE CUTS ON THE ANCHOR BAY DVD. Here is the complete email:

SLEEPAWAY CAMP:
At about 32 minutes; the dvd is missing the "skinny dipping" scene where the boys are running naked down the pier and then jump into the water.

At about 36 minutes; the dvd has severely edited the gore scene of Kenny's death. Over half of the close-up shots of Kenny's mutilated face (with the snake sliding out of his mouth) have been cut.

At about 47 minutes; the dvd has cut a few seconds of dialog (right after Angela is hit with a water balloon and helped up by Paul and Ricky). As Mel is walking away, one of the bullies says "old ****ing wrinkled old dick". This line has been cut from the dvd.

At about 57 minutes; the dvd is missing a few more seconds of dialog. After Ricky gives Judy the bird (middle finger), Judy says "same to you Ricky". Not much of a cut, but for some reason it's missing from the dvd.

At about 70 minutes; the dvd has cut about two seconds of gore. When Mel discovers Meg's dead body (as it falls out of the shower stall), the dvd shortens the first glimpse of her body.

Big thanks to reader Steve for sending this information into us. As usual, expect the usual site (you know who) to rip this news from us, claiming that "users emailed us this info...blah blah".
We will keep you updated once Anchor Bay has finished looking into it. I may update my review with this information but I must admit, regardless of whether the DVD is cut the audio/video quality is superb. Though the fact that it's cut will make it worthless to a lot of fans (including myself) is also true. Also, I have more than enough faith at this point to believe that Anchor Bay will rectify any problems found.

------------------
My DVD list | My homepage
You know, your life really isn't complete until you've experienced the awe and wonder of Big Wolf On Campus.
Old 09-21-00, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Oh, btw, that was from horrordvds.com. http://horrordvds.com/news/news055.html

------------------
My DVD list | My homepage
You know, your life really isn't complete until you've experienced the awe and wonder of Big Wolf On Campus.
Old 09-21-00, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very interesting.. I was going to
get rid of my old vhs copy once the
dvd arrived, but I guess I'll hold
on to it now! I'm pretty surprised
they cut it so much.

thanks for the info!