Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD review wanted: R-rated vs. unrated American Psycho

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

DVD review wanted: R-rated vs. unrated American Psycho

Old 09-12-00, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Despite the high squirm factor that left me squeamish, I thought this was a well done film. I can take violence when it serves an interesting premise, but I am not interested in slasher films as a genre.

My question regards the additional footage found in the unrated version. Before I buy, I want some opinions as to whether or not the additional material serves to tell more story or if it is the needless inclusion of additional splater and squirt. Usually, I will go for a director's cut, but this has no such indication, which leads me to believe the additional material serves little purpose.

For those who may share my general point of view towards excess violence, please let me know your thoughts...especially if someone has seen both versions.

Many thanks in advance.

------------------
Do you see what a can of worms this portal is? I don't think I can go on living my life as I have lived it.
Old 09-12-00, 01:16 PM

I don't know for sure but I thought I would add what I read somewhere. From what I heard, there is 2 unrated versions of this film. Apparently, the US version isn't the true unrated version as there was still scenes that were edited, namely the beginning scene with the prostitutes. I think the Canadian realease is the true unrated version with no edits.

Where I read this, they were comparing it to the American Pie unrated version. Again, the US unrated version was edited and not the full cut.

So if you do want the true unrated version you will probably want to get the Canadian one.

wrath
Old 09-12-00, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the extra material is of a sexual nature....I believe someone said the American unrated version has just a few more seconds of a three-way scene with a couple of hookers. So probably not much difference.

I think wrath is right....I downloaded a clip of a bedroom scene a while back that was definitely not in the American unrated version I saw....seems like there were a couple other clips up for download, but I didn't watch those so I'm not sure if they were in the American release or not.

That's kind of stupid, if it's unrated show us the entire uncut film please. I guess defnitely try to seek out the Canadian release if you are really bent on having it completely uncut.
Old 09-13-00, 02:15 PM
Banned

Why must R-rated and Unrated versions be released? Its pointless. Look at American Pie. That was stupid.

"The Version You Couldn't See in Theatres."

Give me a f**kin' break. As for American Psycho, we see Christian Bale doing the girl(s) doggystyle on the Unrated Version. But for some reason we can't see the doggystyle on the R-rated version. Yeah, that makes alotta sense.
Old 09-14-00, 12:03 PM
Cool New Member

Humm...So we have to go to Canada to get the full, uncut version of *American* Psycho. Interesting...

borimex
Old 09-15-00, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So is anyone sure the canadian version is the true unrated version? If so, do you guys know where I can get this canadian version? ABsound? I want to know because i want the unratingest(word??) version there is. Thanks