Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Please Review: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Fisher King

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Please Review: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Fisher King

Old 09-11-00, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I consider myself to be a Gilliam fan: love 12 monkeys, Brazil, Adv. of Baron Munchausen, Timebandits. However, i have yet to see either of these movies.

If possible could someone give me some reviews: content and dvd quality? thanks.

Tuan Jim

------------------
"Alea jacta est."

-- Caesar
Old 09-11-00, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fear and loathing in las vegas......

One of the greatest books, and greatest movies today. I loved this movie, great from start to finish. it was a wonderfully translated book to movie. The content of the movie is just one wild ride. Johnny depp and benicio del toro is great. in this role, del toro had to gain a large amount of weight, one thing that i admire most in an actor, who can gain the weight and lose it again (de niro style), The acting is great, the story telling is wonderful. an acid trip without the use of any drugs. The dvd quality is grand. One of my favorites dvd's. around. Johnny depp's acting in this movie is grand.
The dvd contains cut scenes that are quiet interesting, has a good little spot light on location feature, good sound, and with a grand soundtrack mixed into the movie, its really great with any system. its anamorphic widescreen, all items for one kick arse dvd.
i give it a 10 out of 10.
Old 09-11-00, 03:32 AM
Banned

Fear and Loathing is presented in 2.35:1 so that pretty much all you need to know. If you like pharmaceuticals and alcohol you should like the movie. If not, avoid it. There are some boring deleted scenes and a nice featurette.

I haven't seen Fisher King, but Jeffrey Bridges is a terrific actor, always great to see him. But this one could also been another Gilliam piece o' crap, just like 12 monkeys. Good luck on your mission.
Old 09-11-00, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fear & Loathing is a visually stunning wacked-out movie. It's almost word-for-word from the book & a great movie. Fisher King is one of my favorite Gilliam movies. Williams is great (he was nominated for it) & so is Bridges. Mercedes Reuhl was also nominated (she may have won?) & Amanda Plummer's good also. It has that medievil theme that many of Gilliam's movies have. I think it's a great story with great characters & visually interesting. Both movies are anamorphic (Fisher King doesn't say on the box) & 2.0 surround (no 5.1). I also have Brazil Criterion, 12 Monkeys, & Baron Munchausen, so I'm definitely a big Gilliam fan & those are 2 of my favorite.
Old 09-11-00, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fear and Loathing is one of my most watched movies. I can't get enough of this one. It seems that half the people I talk to dislike it, but I think that is because all they see it as is a pointless drug movie. I suggest first reading the book, so you can get a real feel for the story.

------------------
"And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming..."
Have you played Atari today?
Old 09-12-00, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, most critics didn't like fear and loathing too much but they ignored the fact that is is probably one of the best book to movie conversions ever(and that wasn't a very easy thing. If you've read the book you know what I mean.).
Old 09-13-00, 01:57 AM

I haven't read the book for Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, so the story was lacking for me. I really enjoyed this movie for all of the whacko stuff(the bar scene at the hotel), the great dialogue by Johnny Depp's character, and I routinely watch the first scene when I want a quick pick me up.

The Fisher King is one of TGs finest films, up there with Brazil. It is also the least conventionally Gilliamesque. Jeff Bridges and Mercedes Ruehl give great performances, and Robin does what he always does. Fortunately, he's pretty good at it. I love the scene in the subway station where all of the people start ballroom dancing.

If you like Gilliam, you'll like both of these.