Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

American Psycho Review?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-00, 01:23 PM
Max

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I missed this in the theaters and didnt read the book, but some of my friends saw it and said they were pretty disappointed.
Most of the violence is implied and the ending is questionable...anyone see it?
Think I may make this a rental...most critics seem to dislike it?!
NZone - (2.5 out of 5 stars) "Bret Easton Ellis’ novel 'American Psycho' was so disturbing and controversial that it had to scramble for new publisher at the last minute when Simon & Schuster backed out after having second thoughts regarding the murderous tale of an ‘80s yuppie that adorns his posh apartment with the body parts of his female victims."

Arrow in the Head - "Wow! Having read and loved the book I went in the movie theater with expectations the size of my ego. I came out of the theatre with a huge smile on my face."

Cabinet of Dr. Casey - The Beast of the Bull Market - "Did you know that the 1980's were a time of materialism and greed? And did you know that that's not a good thing?"

culturevulture.net - "'American Psycho' is another paste-up indictment of materialism, and worse yet, it’s built on ideas and connections that felt naïve and incomplete even at the time they were conceived. It’s a block of stale cheese."

Film Journal International - "...plays like a cautionary slasher movie."

Film.com: Joke on Modern Man - "Whatever else might be said about her, Mary Harron, the director of 'American Psycho,' has guts."

Flick Filosopher: Bonfire of the Inanities - "'American Psycho' opens with Hitchcockian strings warp-warping as sticky red blood drips down a white screen... or is it blood?"

goodauthority.org - "Mary Harron's 'American Psycho' would be a very effective movie if only it were 11 minutes long."

Harvey's Movie Reviews - " 'No introduction necessary,' says the poster advertising the long-delayed adaptation of Bret Easton Ellis' novel. I think at least a preface is required."

indieWIRE - "While the frames are chilly and distilled, the content is not, and at moments the tone falters."

James Berardinelli - (3.5 out of 4 stars) "...represents one of the most daring, inventive, and invigorating movies to reach the screen during the dreary first half of 2000."

JoBlo's Movie Emporium - (8 out of 10) "Sick. Funny. Horrific. Charming. Unsettling. A delight. A film that can have you laughing out loud one minute, and freezing up horribly the next."

Movie Bodega - (B) "The surface-is-substance world of the 1980's is, from our well-ensconced position in the 21st century, an era ripe for deconstruction, even satire and ridicule."

Nitrate Online (Gregory Avery) - "If anyone could make a legitimate film out of this opus, it would be Mary Harron, who previously took the real-life story of Valerie Solanas -- the woman who believed that the world could only be made a better place by exterminating the 'male species,' and shot Andy Warhol in an attempt to try and start doing so -- and turned it into a surprisingly evocative, insightful, and even sympathetic film."

Nitrate Online (KJ Doughton) - "'American Psycho' is half of a brilliant movie, before it hacks itself to pieces during the final reel."

NY Rock: Nightmare on Wall Street - "Well, at least it's better than 'Reindeer Games.' Man, this is one crazy movie."

Orlando Weekly Movies - (2.5 out of 5 stars) "'American Psycho,' the long-overdue adaptation of Bret Easton Ellis' novel about the unchecked greed and vanity of the go-go '80s, arrives in theaters with a checkered past and accompanied by a rather stale whiff of controversy."

San Francisco Examiner: 'Psycho' needs treatment - (2.5 stars) "...amounts to barely more than a showcase for an astonishing piece of mechanical poetry by actor Christian Bale."

ShowBIZ Data - (2 stars) "It took independent filmmakers to bring it to the screen. Many will wonder why they bothered."

Spliced Online: Killer Slut - "Bale brilliant as hollow Wall Street serial killer in succulently twisted dark satire of '80s excess."

------------------
"DEATH TO VIDEODROME! LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH!"

[This message has been edited by Max (edited September 06, 2000).]
Old 09-06-00, 04:27 PM

I regard American Psycho as one of my favorite books and was completely prepared to be disappointed by the adaptation. But I was very surprised. This movie was as well done as I thought it could have been. Mary Harron did a wonderful job of bringing the novel's humor to the foreground and the violence at a logical minimum. Christian Bale was absolutely perfect. Dead-on and surely Oscar-worthy, but no doubt will be ignored. Some people regard the film to be plotless, the book was too, but that's missing the entire point of the story. If you watch this movie expecting a wonderful black comedy, you will not be disappointed. The DVD has a very nice transfer, while I would have liked a commentary, the interview with Bale and the featurette were nice.
Old 09-06-00, 06:46 PM
seb

You could out this link showing remarks of film critics about American Psycho. About 60% of them liked it.... but then again, I recommend that you should rent this movie, and decided if the DVD's worth buying - at the end of the day, it's your opinion and not the crowd's.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/movies...ho/reviews.php

Old 09-08-00, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was a pile of sh!t. Universal could burn the negative, destroy the master and do a door to door recall and I don't think the world would be losing anything of any importance. That being said, it does have a few interesting ideas. It's not as smart as it thinks it is though. And the acting... I'm hoping it was intended to be that wooden. Bale does his best Keanu in the title role. The situations are ridiculous. The violence is yawn inspiring. And then the ending, which is supposed to vindicate everything you've just witnessed... Dumb.

The DVD is light on extras but has a nice transfer. I didn't read the book, but I can see where it's good source material. Unfortunately I found myself wanting to turn the film off more than once. Not because of the subject material, it's just not a very good film. I'm sure someone will chime in here that I "just didn't get it". Whatever... I thought it was pretty lame. Rent it if you're curious, otherwise skip it.
Old 09-09-00, 03:37 AM
Banned

I regret buying this dvd. Especially with jaboom out of the picture, I wish I would of put the gc towards another pre-order!

Jonathan

------------------
39 free dvd's / 35 under $10 / the rest....I can't believe what I paid for them!!
Old 09-09-00, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it might be a cult classic. but i do regret buying.. i doubt i will see mine for another 3,4 years.
Old 09-10-00, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This movie is great and Bale did a great job, definately Oscar worthy, but there is no way you can compare this to the book. The book completely blew my mind. It was unlike anything I have ever read and I loved it. This may also be the funniest horror movie ever made. Especially during the threesome when he is checking himself out in the mirror.
Old 09-10-00, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...and here is yet another POV:
http://www.capalert.com/capreports/americanpsycho.htm

! !

Old 09-10-00, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great movie... I guess you either love it or hate it!

Humor + horror = good!