Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Les Miserables in Concert

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-00, 07:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just received this DVD from Amazon today; I had been meaning to pick it up for some time, but had always held off because it was a flipper and lacked DD5.1 sound.

Let me say that this is a truly phenomenal disc; if you are so much as even a mild fan of the musical, I URGE you to pick up this DVD. Despite being only 2 channel, the sound is excellent and the performances truly, truly exceptional. When I purchased this I figured it would just be the standard musical, videotaped for my pleasure. To the contrary -- this is a concert performance by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, with the best of the London and New York casts singing their respective parts while standing on stage (in costume and character). I simply cannot say enough about the quality of the performances; I guess not having to act and remember one's mark (and actually getting to sing directly into the microphone) really improves one's performance.

If you saw and enjoyed the musical, I strongly encourage you to pick up this DVD. If you haven't seen the musical, you're in for a treat -- but you will miss the non-sung dialogue and scored portions of action. There are captions to explain missing portions, but it's probably best to see it in person.
Old 09-09-00, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What sucks about the DVD is that it is full screen in spite of the fact that it was shot in (I think) 1.78x1. There are times when people are spead out on the stage and the picture on the full screen version doesn't look very well composed. That's why I'm sticking with my letterboxed laserdisc.

It is absolutely great, though, and the sound on the DVD is, I assume, comparable.

I've seen the musical in person three times. New York, Chicago and Madison. There is only the slightest dropoff from NY to Chicago or from Chicago to Madison. No matter where you see it, it will be superb.
Old 09-09-00, 09:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by movielib:
What sucks about the DVD is that it is full screen in spite of the fact that it was shot in (I think) 1.78x1. There are times when people are spead out on the stage and the picture on the full screen version doesn't look very well composed. That's why I'm sticking with my letterboxed laserdisc.

It is absolutely great, though, and the sound on the DVD is, I assume, comparable.

I've seen the musical in person three times. New York, Chicago and Madison. There is only the slightest dropoff from NY to Chicago or from Chicago to Madison. No matter where you see it, it will be superb.
<HR>

I agree with you both about the 4:3 ratio and the fact that the show tends to be fantastic no matter where you see it (although the Broadway show I saw beat Vancouver's hands down). The funniest part about this being matted for 4:3 screens is that the bloody thing was funded by the 16:9 Foundation or something to that effect -- a group in the UK who push for 16:9 filming. Ironic, eh?